1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours January 2022 Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SaintInKuwait, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

I wonder what reasons his family have for this? You can only imagine they can see a difference in his demeanour in the way that sometimes only family can? Or they like that he is close to home rather than being sent somewhere like Holland or the north of England. Or perhaps both?

Dark Lord SFC likes this.
  2. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I suspect that they've noticed that he's rather enjoying life right now, plus he's playing high level football regularly. And also they might like the area.

3. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With all this info coming out, my opinion is it's looking more and more likely that a deal will get done for Broja. Chelsea may not be keen to sell but they know we'll agree to a buy back clause and Saints will be a great place for him to develop.

4. Gregm1988

That’s what I meant. Your family can pick up on things even you don’t realise . Usually on the other side of thing - when you are perhaps more down than you know

But it works all ways

Gosh the Chelsea fans on Twitter did not like this. Proper bitch fits being thrown and screams of “minimum £60m” even though all this says is “beyond the end of the season”. This is most likely all referring to a loan extension but that doesn’t seem to have crossed their minds for a second

I guess they are super paranoid now after basically driving out the players who have become the top two players in the league when they had them in their grasp

But that is what the buy back would be for if there even was a sale. I presume De Bruyne and Salah did not have those

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  5. Gregm1988

It seems to be becoming a “no smoke without fire” situation. Too much is being said if something wasn’t at least possible

SaintsFan86 likes this.
  6. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Q while ago someone said we planned to make a statement signing on twitter. If this I'd it then I'll genuinely be stunned. It also makes these new owners god like status.

7. Gregm1988

Was it that Secret Scout who appears to have Chelsea links and broke the Tino and Broja stories ?

8. SaintsFan86

Yeah, he also retweeted his tweet this evening too.

9. Gregm1988

Presumably met by wailing and gnashing of teeth from the Chelsea fans who don’t seem to appreciate how easily they will be able to get him back even if we did sign him permanently

Cowtownred and SaintsFan86 like this.
  10. SaintsFan86

Yeah, but ultimately that would depend on Broja too. Ultimately if it got that far it would mean Broja has progressed very well.
    It's a win win for both clubs really.

11. Gregm1988

My “cope” on loan extension vs. permanent signing (as the loan is looking more likely) is that :

- if we signed him permanently we’d likely have him 2 seasons max if he improves at the rate he seems to be (edit: meaning a loan extension is only one less season)

- we are protected if he doesn’t actually improve like it seems he will

- we can use the money we’d have to spend to strengthen other areas of the squad whilst still having him as well. Such as splashing on a more expensive goalkeeper or number 10 - players we likely need / want anyway (edit: compared to waiting for a potential future profit on sale on Broja)

I guess what I am saying is it would be great if he is with us next season regardless of how that is achieved

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  12. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t be surprised with the current rumblings that we get him for another year as a minimum. Anything else will be a bonus.

13. Gregm1988

Only tangentially saints related (we were linked early on) but one of the big talking points of this window is Brereton Diaz from Blackburn. He has a great record this term and an article I was just reading was suggesting 25m (albeit going on to say desperation and premier league “financial incontinence” could push this close to 40)

If this is even slightly true why on Earth did Newcastle not to this?

That was my first thought. But then I noted that he has only had one season (this one) with a good scoring record and it is playing in a team that is flying. Now whether that is chicken or the egg and down to him is debatable

Armstrong scored a lot of goals in that team when they were struggling (and when playing with him incidentally) and also a good amount the season before. But he isn’t really cutting it in the PL

So is there something that sets aside Diaz? Is it just good PR from being adored in Chile and being an international for them? Again notable that his record gets him games for Chile and Armstrong was no way near the England squad last season.

Or is it that he also has physical presence that is still highly admired and potentially can be considered useful even if he doesn’t score a hatful. Causing problems , distracting defenders - Heskey style ?

Or does he have “it” in the same way as people are talking about Broja. There is just something else that is not solely told on numbers ?

I haven’t seen him play but I just found it intriguing. Not least because all these clubs with deeper pockets that we fear might swoop in for Broja - basically those around our level but not big 6 (West Ham, Leeds, Brighton, the aforementioned Sandcastle etc) are linked with this guy

14. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

It is not that long ago that Chelsea had 63 players out on loan across Europe. UEFA then changed the rules on how many players you could have out on loan as this was patently being used for two reasons: to sidestep the FFP rules that have been explained earlier in this thread and also to hoover up talent and prevent it from playing for direct competitors (which is still happening, only to a lesser extent.) It is therefore worth pointing out that, unlikely as it seems, a sale to us from Chelsea still actually achieves both of those primary motivations for them, namely a nice chunk of profit towards FFP and an obvious current and future talent not playing at a club that is likely to be knocking on the door of the top four any time soon.

15. SaintInKuwait

SaintInKuwait Well-Known Member

I like BBD a lot and I think his story is super fun but firstly he’s overvalued by Blackburn at that price (it’s complicated). He’s a huge player for them and promotion is worth more than getting £25m in this window. His contract only has six months so there’s a tricky equation there as he could probably be the player who helps them go up and earn more money.

I also wouldn’t be rushing for many Championship forward players this window if you’re a struggling side in need of goals. There’s lots of weird numbers all over that league this year and players like Mitrovic are scoring at bizarre rates that they never have in their careers before. If anything, the lesson Newcastle and other teams can see from us signing top scoring strikers from the Championship is that they take time to adjust. Wood is a short term solution, a blunt instrument that pairs well with what they already have and weakens a rival. It’s a clever deal. It’s dark and cruel.

garysfc likes this.
  16. SaintInKuwait

I still think the all-round solution is that it’s another year on loan. Maybe the purchase option gets baked in with the new loan deal.

With his new contract there, there’s no rush for them to decide and you’d expect that we’d be giving them more on fees for the extra year loan, during which it’s not likely that his value would greatly depreciate.

17. Gregm1988

They have the option to extend for a year. But still not long left

18. Gregm1988

The risk averse accountant side of me can see the merits of a loan extension at a rate we know also allowing us to invest our “known” budget elsewhere

Most of the reasons and rationale are in the “cope” post above.

It’s a little like a fixed rate mortgage (although that isn’t necessarily a great example)

One thing I didn’t mention is that unless he goes back to Chelsea and they give him a quadruple or more pay rise (which they really don’t need to do given he’ll have four years but it might remove any chance of him agitating for a permanent move) then a loan extension gives us far more wage budget space

I read he was on 8.5k a week. If true you have to imagine we multiple that by at least 5 when signing him permanently which is almost a whole squad member. Or the increases for a couple of existing ones

Again - more “cope” haha

19. SaintInKuwait

Yeah, that’s a little bit weird though. He’s free to negotiate with international clubs from Jan 1st. I would have thought that clause would have been resolved by now.

20. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

What is there not to like?