1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours January 2022 Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SaintInKuwait, Dec 11, 2021.

1. SaintInKuwait

SaintInKuwait Well-Known Member

Is it even worth having a thread up? Obviously we’d all like a striker, a goalscoring number 10 or a goalkeeper (bonus points if the keeper can also chip in with 10 goals a season) but I don’t think it’s likely. In terms of outs, maybe Val and Long find new homes? Other than that, there’s not going to be a lot to see here, surely?

In terms of rumours, cult hero Ben Brereton Diaz of Blackburn, Jesse Lingard and Sam Johnson have been linked. I like Bereton and his story is amazing. Fits our bill of cheap and young and successful in the Champ but I’m not sure he’s really the answer and feels a mite Lee Barnard to me. The other two possibly in the summer but doubt we’re moving on them now.

2. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Doubt we’ll do much. Be interesting to see if Newcastle come in for any of our players, JWP possibly

3. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

We are skint aren’t we?

Would absolutely love lingard but I give us a zero % chance of pulling that off

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) likes this.
  4. Saintmagic

Thought Lingard is off to Newcastle? Bloke I work with has links at West Ham and he’s been saying for ages that Johnstone is going there when his contract is up

5. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

West Ham and Newcastle have deep pockets, we have **** all. We can only afford bargain basement mediocrity but we have enough of that already in the squad.

6. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Will gladly take £40m for him on this season’s form.

7. Saintmagic

Would take £40m on any of his career form tbh. Selling him and bringing in 3 players could really help the team overall

8. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Not sure who Newcastle may end up signing in January but glad we play them at home on 2 jan before they do bring anyone in.

We must take advantage of that.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  9. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

I would love it if we beat them. Love it!

Might go to that one and take my son.

10. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

Whole new squad will do thanks.

11. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Doubt we will actually make a single signing. We still have 1 loan slot available so possibly that will happen.

12. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

If there are any highly rated players from big team academies that are soon to be out of contract we might try an early deal to secure that

There were rumours related to a young Chelsea central midfielder and Chelsea might go for a transfer 6 months before the end of the contract so they can put in a buy back and sell on. And we might entertain that to avoid a bidding war in the summer

Wouldn’t be unprecedented as we apparently beat Brighton to Tino due to agreeing to the clauses

13. Saintmagic

On the highly rated players I see we have been linked with Khayon Edwards, a striker at Arsenal’s academy. So have loads of other teams so no idea how accurate it is. Has scored 14 goals in the u23 league I presume this year

14. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I could see us loaning in someone like Donny van de Beek, who has scarcely played all year for Man Utd.

15. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I'd be very happy with that.

16. Saintmagic

Spurs letting Dele Alli leave, think he could thrive here as one of the 10s. Won’t happen though, neither would DVDB, their wages will be way too high

Saints14 and Saints_Alive like this.
  17. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

What type of midfielder even is her? What is his best role? Realistically we need someone who can do the Romeu role since it is very noticeable when he doesn’t play

Indeed it is a glaring hole. But I appreciate a club like us trying to sign someone there whilst we still have Romeu is tough

Ideally someone who can play this role and a slightly more advanced one so that potentially they can both play if we have 3 in midfield

I don’t think DVB is that player …

18. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

We have a number of needs in midfield, but one of them involves contributing to the attack, something that Romeu and JWP show little interest in doing (Diallo briefly did so upon arrival, much less so of late). More than anything else, what van de Beek would add is a runner from midfield, and given that our front line isn't exactly known for their finishing prowess, having someone looking to find space in dangerous areas, and with the ability to score goals would be enormously beneficial.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  19. Saintmagic

Just looked and Van De Beek is on £120k a week, plus whatever fee United would want for loaning out a player who cost them £40m. Don’t think that’s much of a goer for us (let alone when you factor in there will probably more appealing options for him elsewhere)

20. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Can't see it happening either, but hoping Ralph and Ralf actually get on and we could pull a favour.