1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jake Livermore

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by O.Spurcat, Aug 14, 2012.

1. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

I watched Jake Livermore a year ago in pre-season, and he was struggling. He was playing at Barnet, admittedly out of position, but he looked awful and I feared for his future with us.

The previous season, had been a typical one for Jake, a few loans without him particuarly making a name for himself. As a youngster, in our reserve side he had looked an exciting prospect, but during a loan spell at Crewe, he broke his leg at a vital stage of his development and it undoubtedly held him back.

Then last season, it all took off for Jake. He got into the first team, had a good run of games, and he kicked on and has never looked back. As his confidence grew, so did his performances and by the end of the season, he was looking the decent prospect we saw when he first broke through at the club.

This time tomorrow, he could top all that by making his full international debut for England. It's been a great last 12 months for the player, and whilst it remains to be seen if he has a long term future with us under AVB, there can be little doubt we have a good prospect on our hands. I believe his passing rate stats last season were excellent.

What are you views on Jake Livermore ??

2. The Serious Guy

The Serious Guy Active Member

I've got a feeling he's going to come good, over the last few seasons its felt like our biggest youth prospects were him and Townsend, and for Jake to finally make a significant breakthrough feels great. I really do have high hopes for him going into the next few years, but I've a nagging feeling that I only feel this way because I'm so desperate for a Spurs prospect to finally make a breakthrough. Its been too long since Ledley.

Although looking at the current group of youngsters in and recently out of the Spurs Academy and Youth sides, like Kane, Coulibaly, Ceballos, Smith, Carroll and Luongo, if some of those players don't make the grade, I'm willing to eat my hat.

3. O.Spurcat

Thanks for the reply Sundance. Do you think he'll get us much football this season as he did last season and do you think he's worth his place ??

4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have mixed views on him, to be honest.
    He looks a decent prospect, seemed to pick up a fair bit last season from Parker and pulled off some superb passes at times, but he plays in a difficult position to master.
    I think that he needs to learn how to adjust his game to complement those that he's picked to partner and improve on his decision making about when to commit to going forward or defending.
    He's behind two very good players in the pecking order and he'll struggle to break into the first XI as a regular starter, especially if Huddlestone can stay fit this season and we replace Modric.

His performances in the Europa League showed a lot of maturity and it was interesting to see how he and Carroll developed in that tournament.
    I'm hoping that we take it more seriously this season though, so his chances may be limited again, despite his apparent willingness to play wherever he's asked to.
    Perhaps we'll see him taking the U21/Reserve league by the scruff of the neck and forcing the manager's hand, especially if Parker's absence is longer than expected?

5. I am a big Jake fan and really hope that he stays with the club: he is Spurs through and through and has on occasion put in some big performances at DM. He also has the advantage of being quite versatile, having played at FB and CB when injuries have plagued us.

However I don't think he is anywhere near ready for an England full cap - and from what I have seen and heard of per-season games, his performances have not been inspiring. So the selection now, although a terrific reward for his efforts in developing in the last 18 months or so, appears to be premature.

Having said that, England have picked any number of worse players in recent years - and not picked any number of better ones.....

6. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I'd agree with what you say about him not being ready for an England cap Relayer, but it's a problem position for the team.
    You have Parker and then...?
    Nigel Reo-Coker, perhaps?

7. The Serious Guy

The Serious Guy Active Member

I'm not sure he'll have as prominent a role this season unfortunately. As far as I recall, the majority of his appearances came at the start of the season, when Sandro was injured (if I recall correctly), or Europa League matches. However, I do see AVB playing him in the Wigan/QPR/Swansea home matches, so I think we're just going to have to wait and see what kind of attitude AVB takes.

And as for his place?
    Within England; Yes, especially considering the squad around him. As previously stated its a problem position to fill, but if Parker is in the squad, Jake wouldn't get a sniff unfortunately.
    Within Spurs; the more relaxed environment to match rotation means that Jake doesn't have to be worth his place, hopefully, with rotation, Parker, Sandro and Jake will all be getting adequate match time.

8. Geez, are England really THAT short in the DM department???? Lol

9. crackerman jack

crackerman jack Well-Known Member

My friends Dad who is a West Ham fan said they used to call him Nigel Mediocre. Sounds about right.

10. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I won't say what else they called him, but it's one of the better footballing nicknames, isn't it?
    Not quite up there with One Size and Colin, but still...

11. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I was impressed with him last season and it's always good to see a youngster come up through the ranks. He's still a way behind Sandro and Parker but he's versatile and keen which I like.

I doubt he'll have impressed AVB too much with his preseason performances so I can't see him getting many games unless Sandro and Parker pickup a lot of injuries like last season. Didn't like seeing him doing a Terry in the Valencia game and getting in the face of the ref and shouting at him after a fould was given against him, especially since the replay didn't leave him with a leg to stand on.

The England callup is a bit generous but it's good to see he's in the mind of the England manager for the future. If I'm being totally honest, I don't think he'll even make it at Spurs as more than a squad player but it's good to know there's people that disagree with me.

12. O.Spurcat

It's interesting to see that whilst appreciating Jake's progress and performances of last season, some, like myself, do have reservations about him. I agree he has been indifferent this pre-season and I agree his England call up is a surprise. I hope he kicks on this season, it would be great to see at long last, someone come through the ranks and make it at the club. I guess to a certain extent he already has done, but it is a big season ahead for Livermore, let's hope he is up for it.

13. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I like JL we have nurtured a player that would cost us around 10mill in the Market....I think we need to nurture a goal scorer at the club though....JL seems a solid player....nothing more or less...but that is not meant to be a dig...I know it is not his primary function but would like to see more shots and goals.

14. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

He's a good prospect but I don't think he is good enough to be anything more than back-up if all our players are fit (although that never happens).

Getting an England cap isn't what it used to be, look at some of the players that have been given some.

15. Ghoddle10

Ghoddle10 Active Member

Been a big fan of Jake for years, ever since the Barca game.

I'm so proud we have a real yiddo in our team

When people sing that stupid song about Defoe, I just laugh, because apparently he was an Arsenal supporter.

16. O.Spurcat

That was the famous Jake Livermore interview when he was asked "what's it feel like to score against the best team in the world", and he replied "I play for the bst team in the world".

As you rightly say, he's a true yiddo.

17. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

I like Jake, but it looks like he's a steady eddie rather than a more dynamic MFer, so those feeling he should develop his game eg. someone said going forward...why? perhaps he's just not going to be that kind of Mfer, so lets not expect him to be. He retrieves the ball well, and is always available to receive a pass, finds space in tight areas and gets out of them too, at this point I feel Jakes work is done with a layoff to a playmaker. Nothing wrong with that either, we're quite happy watching Parker do it.

Parker may well have an injury hit season, as I really doubt he'll be an everpresent as he was last season, so I think Jake will get games, he certainly will to start with until Parker recovers, with emphasis on the word until, its also unclear what Sandro's condition is.

A local lad who is Spurs through and through, so as long he continues as he is, improves on the finer points of his game, I see no problem atm. Having said that every player comes up to a 'make or break' season, you could say this is his. <ok>

18. Ghoddle10

Ghoddle10 Active Member

Jake had his breakthrough season last year, for me he's an established squad member and the England call validates his new status.

If it's a choice between him, Hudd and JJ for the mid spot alongside Sandro v Toon, I vote Jake.

19. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Livermore had a 91% pass completion in the league last season completing 530 in his 24 appearances. Not saying these were all defence splitting passes but if you're taking your first steps in the Premier League it goes a long way if you don't concede possesion :)

20. Spursguru

Spursguru Active Member

Great stat. <ok>

I like him. If he is Spurs even better. There are always places in the squad for a player that loves the club and can be utlised in different ways like fletcher at utd, or neville for instance. He is solid, and i have no qualms with him at dm.

I think he should look to expand his game, and dominate his position on field, but technically and physically he is a good squad player atm. Better than Jenas, who in the 2pre season games I watched (+highlights of valencia) was completely and utterly annonymous. So much so that I was quite worried whether he was lost somewhere in the changing rooms. I cannot see us getting any sort of fee for him atm, and I worry that whilst Levy and AVB know BEntly and Jenas are crap, they have to play them to get people to remember who they are!

I've digressed. From what i've seen Jake is a more talented, more intelligent Jamie o'hara, and we need players with a bit of muscle sometimes.