1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is this good news?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Hope he has got his head in the right place, i.e. not stuck up his jacksy.

He has the attributes (apart from his lack of heading ability) to be a success but he needs to want it.

3. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

If he was crap earlier in the year because he was carrying an injury it might be good news. If it's a recent injury, he was just crap, so now being fit doesn't help us.

4. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

Or we haven't given a young player enough time to adapt and prove himself.at EPL level. He may have been carrying an injury or he may not have; Either way he needs more time for me to decide if he is crap or just a young player being asked to carry our strike force on his shoulders. This is new ground for him.

5. ccfcremotesupport

Not disagreeing over the time thing temple, just doesn't help us in the short term.
    And the question then is, how do we give him the time?
    Tricky one.

On a more challenging note, how come a 24 year old right back has adapted to leading the line in the EPL quicker than a 24 year old striker?
    Not saying he's the answer, but Patterson has done a better job than Ken to date.

suprimir likes this.
  6. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

The point is we don't necessarily have the time to find out. Another half a dozen games like our first half a dozen doesn't bear thinking about.

At first glance he would appear to possess all the attributes required of someone to lead the line. He's big and very quick for a big man. He's quite an intelligent player who reads the play and can find the space. He possesses a club of a left foot that can propel the ball at Mach 2 - most keepers would just see a blur, but, but,.............

He doesn't use his size to any effect. He fails to dominate opposition CB's. He's not "nasty" enough. He can't head a ball to save his life. For whatever reason, his confidence appears to be at an all time low.

Now you can argue that only by playing will he eventually regain that confidence and I agree, but by then we could be propping up the table wondering just how we're going to climb out of the mire.

suprimir likes this.
  7. ccfcremotesupport

That's what I said. :emoticon-0138-think

<laugh><laugh>

Oldsparkey likes this.
  8. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Aye, but without the detail.......<laugh>

9. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Hmmm, question is, would you rather be relying on big Ken to come off the bench for the last 20 mins in a match or Gazza Madine?

It'll be good to get him back in the squad if nothing else in my humble opinion.

whiffletree likes this.
  10. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I don't think he's any good off the bench - he's not effective played that way. You either have to go with him and start him to give him a shot at it or leave him out of it.

As for Madine, I dont know what Warnock was thinking about paying £6M for him. Even bigger bollock dropped than buying Tomlin.

That's two bollocks dropped - has he got any left?.......<laugh>

11. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Every time I see Ken come off the bench I think he can do something positive. I usually end up disappointed. At least he gives some hope however forlorn.

Every time I see Madine come off the bench or even warming up I think, why bother?

I think that answers your question Brizzle.

12. ccfcremotesupport

Think he's got a bit of masky about him, so one left.

13. whiffletree

whiffletree Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I think he's the best we've got by a country mile, and if he's been carrying a knock then it explains a lot. Warnock needs to put his arm around him and tell him this and stick him in as first choice until January. Easy this management **** innit!

14. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

We know what he can do so if he can get the ball in front of him on the floor to run at a defence and on his LEFT peg then maybe he can rescue his season

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  15. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

Zohore reminds me more of Jay Bothroyd then Andreas Cornielius. When I saw Conrnelius warming up before the Sunderland game I immediately thought he was out of his depth. Bothroyd, I like him from his early days at Arsenal and was delighted, albeit apprehensive, when DJ brought him on board.
    Zohore has almost all the skills Bothroyd had, sadly he also has the confidence issues Cornelius had when at Cardiff. So, I say give him a run, given we have a moderately better midfield than last season, surely he will get the service he thrives on and his confidence will grow.

16. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

I play Zahore, and I play him a lot. He is our best striker and he will not improve sitting on the bench. Strengthen the midfield with a playmaker and a creative winger! Bring in a couple of extra players to bolster the defence. Done.

17. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Isn't it strange that a couple of our supporters who only watch City on the box see Zohore as anything other than a passenger at the moment.........:emoticon-0105-wink::emoticon-0105-wink:

The trouble with armchair watching, nothing wrong with that and I recognise there is no alternative for many, the camera follows the ball most of the time. When you're at the game you tend to watch players off the ball as much as anything else - and the evidence is there.

Zohore has lost it big time. His attitude appears (and I say "appears") to lack any conviction that he can do this, and he wanders around in a daze. He's 6'3" and built like a brick ****house, yet when contesting a ball in the air he looks like 5'6" and Mr. Bean. Could well be lack of confidence, but by playing him at the moment and banking on it to return is a huge risk.

The likes of Paterson for all his rough edges is what we need right now. Someone to get stuck in from the off and walk off the pitch after 90 minutes drained having put a shift in. I'd put Ward in that category as well. Taking a chance and playing Zohore in his current frame of mind is only an option if you take comfort from at least we can't finish lower than 20th.

18. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

@Sparky, from my viewpoint, Zohore is a passenger who wants to get off. It is obvious, to me at least, as a TV viewer that Zohore is not in the best frame of mind on his last few showings. Having played in the striker role in my youth, I got hacked off when I was expected (one season) to chase every ball and find no support whenever the ball came my way. Equally, being a short arse, it was pointless punting the ball upfield towards me if anyone over 5' 8" were in my vicinity. So I kind of know how all our strikers must be feeling.
    Anyhow, my point is, Zohore is low on confidence because he needs the support on the field. He may well be a luxury player as we don't have the ability to move the ball around to enable the through balls he likes to run onto. He does hold the ball well and doesn't often lose it once he's gained possession. I'd suggest his low confidence doesn't help when his first few touches let him down and his confidence will sink lower. A difficult decision will need to be made shortly as Madine has scored for the under-23 team...

19. ccfcremotesupport

As did NML, which IS good news.

20. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

@taffthefish - Taff - there's no question that Zohore possesses most of the skills - it's the application that's missing. There's also a case for saying he's been isolated up front and it's the support around him that's been lacking.

Maybe the tactics have been wrong for him, but then you ask yourself why has Pato been so succcessful doing it? The answer must be that Pato doesn't give a **** and gets on with it, whereas Zohore virtually gives up. He is quick, he can hold the ball up, he has a lethal shot, but he's lacking determination and that aggressive streak that all front men need.

Unless we change the pattern of play and push forward from and through midfield rather than lumping it to a target man, Zohore won't do us a job. If having Gunnar in the side allows Arter and Victor to push up and play him in it could well work - you can't do it from 50 yards.