1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is this good news?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Having Gunner in the side doesnt allow Arter and Victor to push up though. Wed get murdered if Gunner is isolated.

Ken needs the ball to his feet or in front of him.

On form hes still our best option.

suprimir and whiffletree like this.
  2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not necessarily - engaging the opposition midfield further up the pitch is a far better option than letting them come on to us.

Exactly - that's what I said.

On current form, he's not our best option. (unless of course you mean IF he was on form which he isn't)

3. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

A lot will depend on how he performs in training and how NW rates his work in training. If he is showing some real effort then we know NW makes a point of mentioning this in his pre match interviews. If he’s just moping around then he’ll be out of the squad. It’s up to him and to an extent also up to the management and coaches to get the best out of him.

I really hope we get to see him at his best but for him to perform well he does need the ball to feet in space on his left side; and not in the air.

4. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

So we're basing our attacking hopes on a one-footed dwarf...........<laugh><laugh>

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  5. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

Well, there you go. Because I don't watch the games live, I try to pick up us much I can on the periphery of the telecast and read what others have to say. Also, having played at a level just below my own national league, I like to think I have some idea how a player may be thinking or feeling.

I have seen Zahore's lack of confidence transfer itself into underwhelming performances. I have read the criticisms of him. I also think those who are part of a large crowd at a live event can get caught up in group thinking which makes things appear more black and white then they really are.

I am simply stating that he is the most talented striker we have and something has to be done to get him playing well. To me, that means play him. I am not denying he has issues at the moment, but hey, some effort needs to made to sort them out. I wonder if NW has given up on him and that has affected Ken as well. Warnock is the great man manager, so what has happened here?

Isn't it strange (and I won't use patronising smiley faces here) that some people think that a team that has Paterson as the lead striker will have a chance of staying up? Do we really want 11 players who get "stuck in" but have a thimbleful of talent? A football team doesn't always need 11 players who get stuck in even if those in stands think it is shows the player is giving his all for the club. A team also needs 1 or 2 players who have that ability to do something game changing. You don't just win gamedsby huffing and puffing.

For me until we get a more talented striker than Zahore into the squad we play him and NW stays on his back pushing him, yelling at him, congratulating him, until he either performs or gets sold. If (yes if) he came good for even 4 or 5 weeks, that may be what keeps us up. The supporters can also help. Lots of Ken chants, lots of cheering when he does something remotely good, and in general help keep his chin up.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  6. ninian opinion

All academic for the present as he’s not fit<doh>

suprimir likes this.
  7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

.....(and I won't use patronising smiley faces here)....<laugh><laugh>....there's a few for you to make up for it. <ok> (and another)

I agree it takes more that "huffing and puffing" to get you through a season, but at the moment that's all we've got on offer with these players and this management team.

Paterson gets himself in the right place and scores goals - goals are what win matches (and keep you in this division) and Paterson has won matches for us.

I also agree about the considerable underlying talent that Zohore possesses, but playing him with his present powderpuff attitude hoping he'll come good is not a sensible option. We need points on the board before Christmas and I'm a damn sight more confident that we'd get them with Paterson up top than him.

We don't have the luxury of time.

suprimir likes this.
  8. whiffletree

whiffletree Well-Known Member

Spot on, mate (from someone who's had the 'benefit' of seeing most of the home games live)...biggest problem with Ken is lack of faith (and game time) Warnock is giving him. Best striker we've got by a country mile and Warnock's supposed 'man management skills' don't seem to be working. As I've said countless times, he needs to be given a run of games in the team.

9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I suppose we can't do worse than lose.

10. whiffletree

whiffletree Well-Known Member

We can keep our self respect and we can stop slagging off our players, especially those who might be struggling at the moment, but who have genuine class. For a bunch of 'championsip players' we're not doing that bad (haven't seen a lot of C's tattooed on our foreheads). Every player who has played this far is a premiership player..by definition and by deservation (my word). We might not be the best, man for man but any person slagging off any member of this squad should be ashamed of themselves. We are (or should be) United and if we have any hope of survival then we need to stick together...and frankly Sparky, I don't appreciate any suggestion I make that Ken is the best striker we've got (which he is) you either start a new thread to distract from my opinion or dismiss it entirely, as per the above quote. There's we go, I've said it.

11. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

You can say what youu like Whiffle - no probs from me. Just expect a response from someone who holds a different perspective.

If you think I've started another thread because of something you said, you've got a higher opinion of yourself than is justified.

I start a discussion thread for just that - any opinions you have about it, stick it up there instead of having a go at poster who disagrees with you.

I've got no qualms about discussing anything, and I'm certainly not "ashamed" of myself as you put it for expressing an honest opinion about players and matters on this forum - that's what it's for. Now cool down and take a breath eh?

12. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Bellew got some stick.

13. ninian opinion

14. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Nin - there's two aspects to fitness - physically and mentally.

The former is a matter of time, physio and exercise, the latter is a whole different ball game.

I really hope Warnock can bring out that "Big Ken" we all know is in there somewhere - just how he manages to that is the big question.

15. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

I think it was v. Wolves where he made a come back after 6 weeks out but the game he showed what he was capable of was v. Preston at home - Jan or Feb 2017. His pace and power destroyed them. What would we give for the return of that player?

He couldn't head a ball then either. Ridiculous for someone 6ft 3ins tall. <doh>

16. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Must admit I thought you meant the last Preston game at the CCS for a minute. <doh>

It pissed down all the game and both Zohore and Tomlin got hooked off towards the end. It was 0-0 and both had been inneffective - then they went and scored the winner at the death. If I remember correctly, Warnock blamed Etheridge but from what I saw he had no chance.

That game (around Christmas time?) was the lowest point of the season for me and we were on a really ****e run at the time.