1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Ipswich Town v Sunderland - Tuesday 26th September - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Sep 25, 2017.

?

Your Prediction

Poll closed Sep 27, 2017.
  1. Home win

57.1%
  2. Away win

28.6%
  3. Draw

8.6%
  4. Meh - not another game

5.7%
  1. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

We also need capable defenders, we've got a few players who are handy in attack so I'd rather take the game to the opposition than play five defenders and wait for death.

red&white wanderer likes this.
  2. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

The job is yours with those idiot comments - Edit :skilled at consistently making cheep shots

3. red&white wanderer

We don't have any clinical finishers -Watmore may be but we need at least one clinical finisher. We need more artists in the team as we are full of wannabes & artisans and a minor league football top.
    But we'll survive :emoticon-0148-yes:

4. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Personally I know fine well that we are playing ****e.. However. my argument is that 'do the fans who are staying away or turning up and getting on the teams backs think they are making things better or worse? Do they think that they are making the club easier or harder to sell for our owner who wants out?

5. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

I've got no problem with people staying away. They've had enough punishment and it's their right to spend their weekends doing something they enjoy.

Those that go and get on the team's back are damaging both the team and the club. I can't disagree there.

I was talking about this "the ref ****ed us" "we're so unlucky" spiel which just comes across as delusion to me. Everything that's happened has happened because of the owner, the board, the useless managers and overpaid players. As you say, some sections of the crowd are also to blame to an extent.

Luck and referees don't come into it. That **** evens out.

Sunderlad and The Norton Cat like this.
  6. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Funnily enough, I'm just reading Ruud Gullit's book 'How to Watch Football'. He says in that that the crowd can and does have a major effect on a team's performance. He says there's been a poisonous atmosphere at Feyenoord's de Kuip for a while and that has been reflected in the team's performances. I certainly believe that we're suffering from something similar.

MrRAWhite likes this.
  7. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I know he's got previous but in this case I'm pretty sure Marcus was saying that biased refs and bad luck had nothing to do with us getting beaten.

Disco down under likes this.
  8. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

And have been for many years in my opinion..

The Norton Cat likes this.
  9. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I think that's definitely true for us but it's a catch 22, the crowd are negative because of the standard of football and the football is bad because of the crowd's negativity.

It doesn't take a lot to get the crowd back on side though but we're not getting it. Just a couple of wins in a row would make a difference but we simply can't manage it. We're truly pathetic, have been for years and it's finally and inevitably poisoned the crowd.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  10. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

The size of the crowd won't impact the sale of the club negatively or otherwise.

The crowds will come back when the standard of football improves, whoever owns the club. Anyone buying the club would know that after 5 minutes of research.

The silence from the club is deafening but you can't blame anyone not wanting to stick their head above the parapet at the minute.

We're in a holding pattern until the club is sold. Which league we'll be in by then is anyone's guess at the minute.

More than anything at the moment, what the fans need, off the pitch is patience.

11. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

You can't spell.

12. Billy Death

13. Billy Death

Is 50 odd years not enough then?

14. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

I meant until the sale but I can't argue with that though!

Billy Death likes this.
  15. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Did you miss the last line of my post disco?

Disco down under likes this.
  16. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Misunderstood! <yikes>

marcusblackcat likes this.
  17. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I think its been a bit like that since as far back as the end of the Bruce days. I've often thought that the confidence was brittle and our players were expecting the crowd to get on their backs from the off, meaning that a lot of them played with the shackles on.

It is a vicious circle though. The crapper we are the more the crowd will grow frustrated but the worse the atmosphere the more nervous the players will be. At some point the circle has to be broken. And who takes responsibility for that? Its not only Catch 22, it's chicken and egg.

MrRAWhite likes this.
  18. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Sad reality of SAFC since we moved to the SoL - a lot say "How about they earn the support" when I say "How about we support them from the start"

When we played Sheff Utd - the only time in the entire 90 minutes thast the crowd got behind them was after Rodwell's goal - and they played much better for those 2 minutes - imagine if everyone, at the start of the game, just got behind the team and, if anyone made a mistake, just said "Ha'way we can get back into this" - I honestly think we'd be a better side. That's not me necessarily having a go at the neigh sayers - just a simple opinion

As you say - chicken/egg scenario - if we support them they play better - if they earned the support we'd support them. If everyone was like me and @MrRAWhite then it'd be fine but most don't have our seemingly unerring positive outlook on SAFC! (No I have no idea why!!)

As for turning on the team the second we go behind and singing "Short Out" and "Are you watching Ellis" - that can't do the team any good and those players who have signed for us must think "What the hell have I got myself into here?"

19. red&white wanderer

Predictive txt !

20. red&white wanderer

Too many negative home supporters - they all need to think why - they pay good money to support the team then whinge the whole match -as you say chicken and egg scenario.
    I honestly think some would still moan if we were winning and claim its their right. A strange one this but .................many different reasons for going and some just go to vent anger at the end of a frustrating working week.

MrRAWhite likes this.