1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ings to return?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saint Babarussi, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Saint Babarussi

Not trying to stir anything up, just a rumour I heard from a childhood friend of Danny Ings (lives in Netley) that he is coming to Saints. Don't blast me down, not claiming to be in the know, but what are people's thoughts about this? Personally I rate him and think we should have tried to get him from Burnley, but also am aware that he has injury problems. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

2. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

It would make sense, a proven quality goalscoring Striker well down the pecking order at Liverpool, but this is Saints we are talking about..Common sense seems to be in very short supply at the club lately.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  3. TheSofaSaint

TheSofaSaint Active Member

We did try to get him from Burnley. I was in meeting as a minute taker a few years ago and a professional from Burnley was saying he was looking at moving back to Southampton or going to Liverpool. It wasn’t a football related meeting so was first and only time I had possible transfer gossip through work like that.

4. Saint Babarussi

Haha this is true! I know the link is tenuous at best but personally I could see it happening. Didn't he play alongside Austin for a bit as well?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

5. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

I just look at this from L'pools point of view, and for me its too political to achieve. The deal they would look for would have us back sniffing around Theo (even though he's signed for efc). Its that bad.

6. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I don't think he's what we need in terms of a different option up front. Also, it seems like such a long time since he played, we really need someone who is match fit and ready to go. I did want him before he went to Liverpool though, it's just he's a bigger risk now, and the posiiton we are in I don't think we can put all our eggs in that basket. Unless he's going cheap and we bring in another striker on top...

7. lewebster

lewebster Well-Known Member

I'd sign him so he could job share with Austin.

Decent player if fit and is worth a punt for relatively low cost. Also would put his heart and soul into it as he's a local lad and I presume a Saints fan?

On the plus side, he knows the Championship!

8. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

An injury prone striker with not many minutes under his belt? Why are we always linked to this type of player!

9. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I’m not sure he’s goong to deliver. I’d cheer him on of course, yet that’s a hell of a gamble.

10. HarryTipper

HarryTipper Well-Known Member

He was a decent player before his injury but it would be a huge gamble to rely on a player who hasn't played for the best part of two years.

Edit: somehow missed fatletiss post above mine saying pretty much the same thing <doh>

Libby and fatletiss like this.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

No thanks, been out a long time and not really what we need imo.

12. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Do SFC need to sign anyone? In the summer Athletic Bilbao signed no one. They had a very poor first half of the season and were even knocked out of the Copa del Rey by a team from the third tier of Spanish football. Did they panic? No! Did they sack their manager? No! They managed to top their Europa League group, and results have also improved in recent weeks in La Liga. And they still adhere to their "cantero" policy. SFC could take a leaf out of their book. IMO SFC need to improve the quality of players taken on board in the Academy. If Athletic can nurture such high quality players (Muniain, Inaki Williams, Laporte, Herrara (Manchester United, Llorente (Spurs) and Martinez (Bayern) from a small pool, Southampton can from a considerably larger catchment area if we include the London area, which I am sure SFC can tap into as it is only an hour away. I know SFC have produced a number of high quality youngsters over the years, but like Athletic it needs to be at least every two years.

Just my thoughts.

13. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

I'd sign him if we can go back three years in time and then sign him.

14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Injured....perfect Saints signing. :)

AshbySaint likes this.
  15. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No thanks.

16. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

It's been three years since he regularly played football.

17. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

We need somebody who can make an impact now, not work his way back to form after barely playing for years.

18. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I think that this would be a good signing but the injury scenario is the only risk. However, we were prepared to sign Walcott who is constantly on the sick list and think Ings is no less risky and potentially cheaper.

19. Libby

Libby 9-0

Ings has barely kicked a ball in a couple of years now. Much riskier than Walcott.

fatletiss likes this.
  20. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Not for me. We don't need more damaged goods into the squad. He did look promising a few years ago, now he looks like that was his time.