1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Huddlestone ?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by shiney-mackem, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

SUNDERLAND are closing in on the signing of £5million-rated Tottenham midfielder Tom Huddlestone.

The Echo first revealed the Black Cats’ interest in the 26-year-old last month, after preliminary talks were held.

Since then, little has been heard publicly, with delicate negotiations going on behind the scenes.

But a move could now to be tied up in the next few days, with Spurs understood to have accepted a price for the tough-tackling play-maker.

White Hart Lane chairman Daniel Levy is known for driving a notoriously hard bargain and to be happy dragging out negotiations to do so.

But this time Sunderland look set to profit from Spurs’ desire to set the ball rolling as soon as possible on their summer clear-out.

Levy, who is determined to hold on to world-class asset Gareth Bale, knows that the club has to move up to the next level to keep their superstar happy.

Already Spurs have made a statement of intent, breaking the club transfer record with the signing of £17m Brazil midfielder Paulinho and are rumoured to be readying a £15m opening bid for free-scoring Valencia striker Roberto Soldado.

But the spending spree will need to be supported by sales and Spurs want to get on with a major offloading of players.

As well as Huddlestone, the Echo understands that even the likes of promising young full-back Kyle Naughton and striker Jermain Defoe can go, as well as other more obvious targets like Scott Parker, Emmanuel Adebayor and Benoit Assou-Ekotto.

High-earning under-achievers William Gallas and David Bentley have already been released after their contracts expired.

But Levy needs to begin the clear-out sooner rather than later this summer.

And with Sunderland having made a firm offer for Huddlestone, Levy has decided to accept, in a bid to set the ball rolling on White Hart Lane’s summer sales.

Huddlestone, who had become unsettled at Spurs because of his lack of first-team opportunities, is ready to move.

The 6ft 3in former Derby County prodigy played 29 games last season but was keen to be involved in many more.

“At times, you think you might need to move,” he admitted.

“I am 26 now and missed a year to 18 months through injury.

“You just want to play every game.

“And if that opportunity is not at Tottenham, then I will have to look elsewhere.”

Huddlestone is under contract until 2015, which would normally put Spurs in the driving seat, especially as Hull City boss Steve Bruce has shown an interest and Fulham made an offer in January.

But Sunderland have been upfront and positive in their approach for the player – just as they were with another major target, Jozy Altidore – and that looks set to pay dividends again.

The one thing that could clearly scupper a Huddlestone move is if he fails a medical – given the serious ankle injury which sidelined him for so long at Spurs.

But there’s no doubt that a fit and in-form Huddlestone would be a tremendous addition to Sunderland’s squad.

And the ball-playing midfielder with a fearsome shot would expect to be a first-team regular in the new season if he signed.

Now Sunderland, who are closing in on other targets, will hope to make swift progress on the Tottenham midfielder.

The Black Cats’ pursuit of Huddlestone – just like that of 28-year-old Juventus midfielder Emanuele Giaccherini – also gives the lie to the suggestion that the club will be slavish in their adherence to the “Udinese model” where they would only interested in buying young players of promise with a potential high re-sale value.

2. Hairyhaggis

Hairyhaggis Well-Known Member

im torn with Huddlestone. Good player, EPL experience, but seems to be injured alot. Kinda like a rich mans Cattermole. Dont get me wrong, if he can stay fit and off the medics bench, then he would be a great addition in the middle of the park. Im really hoping that this signing of TH is a double deal as has been suggested that we get DR with him - Levy playing his usual business mind games.

3. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

He can sit in front of the back four and spray passes everywhere. Tells me we're looking to play possession football, esp at home. Like you said though, tough part is keeping him fit. If we can then it would be a very clever move.

4. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Huddlestone story is gathering pace - there's a bit more smoke on that one now!

If he stays fit - he'll be a great addition - but we already have one of those in Cattermole!

5. murray out

murray out Well-Known Member

He's miles better than cattermole, I just hope cabrel is better than cattermole, as they are both defensive midfielders but like you say, if we sign him we need to keep him fit

6. Dannyaccherini

Huddlestone isn't defensive, hes a deep offensive player if that makes sense? haha

Could work well along side Cabral who just sits in front of the back 4, almost a 3rd centre back

7. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Opinions - both very good players on their day - I love Cattermole when fully fit - he's one of the best in that position in the league (Ask Man City) - different type of player though.

8. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

Different players really. On his day Catts is a very destructive player. Can stop the opposition playing off his day he can be a complete tit!

Huddlestone will have more composure, a better passer, quicker brain.

9. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

probably Hullwardbound

10. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

This. Like fellaini and Toure but not as good

11. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

This...

....and this.

12. Tickler

Tickler Well-Known Member

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...-english-heart-1-5931780#.UgNYrBbv4N0.twitter

PAOLO Di Canio wants the heartbeat of his new Sunderland side to be English.

The head coach has spent the summer bringing foreign recruits into the Stadium of Light.

But last night he told the Echo that a ball-playing English central midfielder – around which his remodelled side would revolve – was absolutely key to his plans.

And while he still wants to strengthen his options at full-back, maybe even bring in a winger as James McClean heads for the exit, the acquisition of that key player in the middle of the park is his absolute top priority.

“The club is working on the two full-backs, but more important to me is the need to get a key player in central midfield – someone who’s English,” he said.

“He needs to be English, with a physical presence, because we have analysed that that is a need we have.

“English, because he needs to know English football inside out. And also a player with very good quality – because we want to play attractive football which gets good results.”

That sort of player sounds very much like Tottenham Hotspur’s Tom Huddlestone, who, the Echo exclusively revealed in June, was a player Sunderland had made serious inquiries for.

The Black Cats have kept tabs on the England international throughout the summer and the ex-Derby man remains very much at the top of the list.

But, with no breakthrough having been made, Sunderland are also scouting other possible signings who could fulfil that role.

Di Canio says, though, that the success of that pursuit lies is firmly in the hands of the club’s newly appointed director of football Roberto De Fanti and chief scout Valentino Angeloni, rather than his own.

“I hope it can be done,” the head coach added. “I know they are working to make it happen.

“I hope it does, because as head coach I know the process of improvement – how to link the middle of the field with the back four, or the front four.

“Everyone can have their opinion.

“But to me it is clear that we need a real play-maker, with a real identity, and not just a player who can fill in, in that role.”

As well as working on players coming in, the club is working on players going out and Di Canio’s pursuit of the player he outlined above seems to underline that skipper Lee Cattermole no longer has a future at the club.

The former Wigan and Middlesbrough midfielder is among a number of players who were told they could leave at the end of last season but still remain on the books as things stand.

H Fulham, who start the Premier League season with a trip to Sunderland on Saturday week, yesterday completed a season-long loan deal for QPR midfielder Adel Taarabt.

The talented Moroccan said: “This was a difficult decision for me, but at this stage of my career I feel I need to be playing at the top level.”

This says Tom Huddlestone to me….

13. shiney-mackem

shiney-mackem Member

A fit Tom Huddlestone would be a great signing, but....................

14. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Milner Milner Milner Milner Milner.

Just to be clear, for me, Milner would be a perfect fit for us with what we have, although seems Pellegrini likes the lad and is likely to play him.

Dire shortage of English midfielders who I'd actually wanna see at the club.

15. Tickler

Would love Milner…but he is above us

His wages would be very high

Other teams would be interested

16. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Might fancy it though if he was available, Yorkshire lad, club on the rise (well, let's ignore that bit seem to say that every 2 years and then get punked....), play every week without fail.

It's not impossible, although it is very unlikely.

17. MackemNomad

MackemNomad Member

If not either of those two, then who? Can't think of anyone!

18. Tickler

Owen Hargreaves? <whistle>

19. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Surely Catts fits this criteria???

20. MackemNomad

MackemNomad Member

Well, he's English!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.