1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How many points needed to stay up

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by gioblues, Mar 28, 2022.

1. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Well after a very important win on Saturday Gillingham have 6 games remaining and on 37 points. 4 points above relagation line. Normally you would need around 50 points to stay up. Not this season though. I think we will need 44 points. 2 wins and a draw may just be enough. Any more and should definitely be safe. Fleetwood at home on the 18th bank holiday Monday looks to be vital. With only 2 tough games left after that Portsmouth away and possibly champions Rotherham at home , we don't want to need a win against them two.

brb and alwaysright like this.
  2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

gioblues - I agree. It does look like that around 45 points will do it.
    Massive game on Saturday - Crewe v Fleetwood....Hoping for a Crewe win... It might take away any pain that Gills might suffer on the same day.. Then if Gills can beat Fleetwood on Easter Monday, it would leave Fleetwood 6 ( or more ) points behind Gills........ and THAT might just come in nicely if AFC Wimbledon beat Fleetwood on the last day of the season. (( A 'rigged' 0-0 might NOT save both teams, as I originally thought. ))
    '
    The 'crunch' game must be the one v Fleetwood... win it - we're safe.
    I would like Scally to do a ticket deal - to try to get a decent(ish) crowd - and create a bit of atmosphere for the game.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    brb likes this.
  3. brb

brb CR250

What I'm concentrating on at the moment is this Saturday, and my thoughts for the game against Sunderland is DO NOT pick up any injuries, I'd rather not worry about the points for this game, I've got this game down as taking it on the chin.

Fleetwood is our MASSIVE game and 3 poins will be a must. Other than that I'll take a couple of draws from either Cheltenham, Pompey or Wycombe. The big question will be, what will Rotherham have to play for on the last day of the season, hopefully nothing.

It will be all eyes on those other fixtures around us, and let's hope the gods are on our side.

So I have us down for another 5 points, taking us to 42, anything above that is going to have to be a scrap. If we could turn a Cheltenham, Pompey or Wycombe into a win, along with Fleetwood then it's job done. The big unknown in all this is how important will Rotherham's game against us be to them, if it comes to the crunch on the final day.

Wooperts_duck and alwaysright like this.
  4. alwaysright

Is it too early for my bum to be squeaking ?
    Have had another look at the fixtures that the bottom 6 have left to play......Tried to guess the points tally (( bear in mind that I never once got 8 score draws on my coupon. ))

With yesterday's results, it looks fairly likely that Doncaster and Crewe are in big trouble... That leaves 2 from 3 ( Fleetwood, Morecambe & Gills. )
    I actually think that Morecambe have more difficult games than Gills, and will be lucky to get more than 2 more points ! ..leaving them on 37.
    AFC Wimbledon will struggle to get more than 39 points in total....

Fleetwood are likely to get about 6 more points - with a total of 43...... putting them in 19th position - just ahead of Gills, also on 43. - but - that is probably dependent on Gills putting all their eggs in one basket - by beating Fleetwood on Easter Monday.............................

................ I don't think I've got enough toilet paper if Gills lose to Fleetwood !

brb likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

I wonder if anyone has noticed the final day fixtures yet?

Gills v Rotherham
    Morecambe v Sunderland

@alwaysright you will defo need an extra bog roll or two. <laugh>

I've also noted the Fleetwood v Wimbledon are still to meet on the 23rd April.

gioblues and alwaysright like this.
  6. alwaysright

Fleetwood might actually do Gills a favour if they beat AFC Wimbledon -- and even IF Fleetwood were to beat Gills, it wouldn't be certain that Wimbledon could overtake our points total - leaving Gills in 20th - possibly with a point to spare !...................
    .................. I can afford the loo rolls - I just use One Sheet (( and wring them out )) ..... which is not a pretty sight after a curry <laugh>

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    brb likes this.
  7. gioblues

Morcombe 2 wins in a row and go above Gills.

8. gioblues

Still think we need 6 more points possibly 4 .4 games to go

brb likes this.
  9. gioblues

Wimbledon got Crewe on Friday a win there and they will be back in hunt to stay up. Especially as they have to play Fleetwood aswell.

brb likes this.
  10. gioblues

Well the club are selling all adult tickets for £15 well done Rainham end sold out. Think main stand will also be near full

brb likes this.

11. gioblues

Morcombe win 41pts -28
    Gillingham draw 39pts -30
    Fleetwood lose 38 pts but game in hand
    Wimbledon lose 35pts -25
    Bottom 2 down.
    If Gillingham beat Fleetwood think we could have enough points to stay up otherwise we will need to win one more game. Goal difference could also be vital with Morcombe. Just 2 goals better.

brb likes this.
  12. brb

brb CR250

Due to my latest hospital escapades I will not be attending on Monday, but I have checked Ifollow and as it is a midweek game a video pass is available for £10.

So for anyone that can't get a ticket, due to the near sell-out, or anyone that can't make it to Priestfield for numerous reasons, £10 aint a bad shout to watch the great escape.

A good point earned today at Cheltenham, while Fleetwood, Wimbledon and Doncaster all lost. The stage is now all ours for a hopefully memorable for all the right reasons, Easter Bank Holiday showdown.

gioblues likes this.
  13. gioblues

Morcombe win 3 out of 4 :emoticon-0101-sadsm

14. Steve347

Steve347 Active Member

IF WE STAY UP WITH ONLY 43 POINTS.... HASN'T BEEN DONE IN MANY A LONG YEAR....
    50 points usually, 48 occasionally

gioblues and brb like this.
  15. gioblues

I said 44 points would probably be enough to stay up, we now can only get 43. That could still be enough if we can win the last match v Rotherham. Infact 41 may be enough if Fleetwood lose both their remaining games. On the other hand if we do get 43 we could still go down possibly on goal difference

brb likes this.
  16. alwaysright

After tonight's results, I think I might need some heart pills on Saturday........ At least there is a glimmer of hope.

Morecambe v Sunderland
    Bolton v Fleetwood
    Gills v Rotherham
    AFC Wimbledon v Accrington....
    It's still perm any 2 from 4 for the last two relegation places (( Assuming Doncaster don't score about 20 goals ))

brb likes this.
  17. brb

brb CR250

Fleetwood losing tonight, certainly made the prospect of staying up more achievable. If Fleetwood had won, as they were, then mentally it would have seemed a mountain to climb against Rotherham, even though realistically it still is.

18. gioblues

Wimbledon are down aswell -25 Fleetwood -17

19. gioblues

Excellent result in the Fleetwood match. Looked bad at ht though. We could now stay up possibly with a draw.:emoticon-0127-lipss
    Also exGills and exFleetwood player now at Bolton could he get the goal to send Fleetwood down. Now that would be good

brb likes this.
  20. brb

brb CR250

I think this is our most realistic option now, and Sheffield Wednesday did us a massive favour last night. While Fleetwood were winning, my only thought was we are down, and I had to stop watching the scores, because it was annoying me.

Obviously you can imagine my relief when I looked near the end of the game, and saw that Wednesday had turned the result around.

It's exactly as you state and far more achievable, we draw against Rotherham, and then the big ask of Bolton beating Fleetwood. Morecambe losing is not a concern for me, I expect Sunderland to go on the rampage against them to ensure the play-offs.

The difficult escape route for us, is any expectation to beat Rotherham, as much has I would like it to happen.

It's in the hands of the gods now or fate as I call it.

WINDYROG and alwaysright like this.