1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How many points needed to stay up

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by gioblues, Mar 28, 2022.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

gioblues -
    whilst Gills fans clutch at straws - it would be churlish not to allow AFC Wimbledon fans the right to cling on to the skin of their teeth ! -They are not down (yet). They do have the chance of beating Accrington (at Home ), to reach 40 points - and, as this win is more likely than a Gills draw (let alone win ), against Rotherham, it would put AFC W above the Gills - and, in theory ( if they score 7 or 8 against Stanley ), could put them above Fleetwood....... and even Doncaster could get to 40 points, and overtake Gills if they score millions............ Poor old Crewe (( against whom we lost 0-2 at their place, and only won 1-0 at Priestfield thanks to a penalty. ))

Even if Gills win on Saturday, thus achieving 43 points, both Fleetwood and Morecambe could finish above Gills -- with the latter in a position to relegate Gills due to their goals 'scored' record.

It's going to make for a tense Saturday afternoon.. I don't expect AFC W to survive. I won't be surprised if they finish above Gills - who, sadly look to have left it too late (( or was that Scally's fault - if only Stevenage had offered to buy him a new BMW )).

I will, of course, be at Preistfield on Saturday - and in August ( regardless of L2 ))

brb likes this.
  2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

gioblues - you've got your answer ; 40.... but - shouldn't the question have been '' How many goals ''? 13 at 'Home' (( including 2 in a 2-7 defeat )), simply is not good enough.
    Whomsoever is in control of the team next season, needs to address the lack of goals - lest Gills quickly follow Scunthorpe, Southend etc ( where are they ? ) (( please don't tell me in Essex - otherwise I'll have to show you my suntanned testicles.)) ................ sorry - please understand, I'm not full of joy at the moment.

3. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Unbelievable that if we got 41 we would have stayed up. Yes we did not score enough goals and deserved to go down. Harris gave us a real chance from nowhere but we only got 3 points from last 6 games so he is also to blame especially the Fleetwood game.

4. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Just looking back at Harris record
    First 12 games 18 pts
    Last 6 games 3 pts
    I know we all love Harris and he gave us a great chance to stay up but players and manager blew it

5. brb

brb CR250

Harris, simply didn't have the options on the bence regarding strikers, hence why he took the defensive set up. Looking at those last six games, Rotherham, auto promoted - Sunderland, play-offs - Wycombe, play -offs - so that left 3 games, Pompey away, who finished 5th in the form table over the last six games. So realistically, points were only coming from Cheltenham and Fleetwood, and they did. The main failing for me without doubt, was not beating Fleetwood at home, if we had done that, we would have saved ourselves loads of pain. Sadly too often, we were left with looking at results elsewhere.

gioblues likes this.
  6. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Extremely sorry to see Gills get relegated. I would have preferred Morecambe and their revolting manager Adams to go down in all honesty.

Good luck next season, and bounce straight back up to League One <cheers>

brb likes this.