1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How do you rate the squad??

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

OK, all over red rover, 4th place and CL again. Good result after the nightmare place we started.
    Here's my opinion of the most played first team.
    Kepa. No good. Send out on loan and sell when appropriate.
    Willy Thanks ,but now a bang ordinary #2 at the end of a good career.
    Dave Still first pick of defenders, but getting closer to being a "squad" player. Pity he never did become a proper Captain who could drive the team on.Mr dependable who does all we ask of him.
    Rudiger Simply exasperating for me. One good game followed by too many mistake ridden ones.
    Christensen Never developed. Physically weak, too passive, poor positioning, poor concentration. PL is beyond him, just like Jorginho.
    Zouma The best CD we have but desperately in need of a "John Terry" and better players around him
    Alonso Not worth 2 bob in a back 4 ,but an extremely good wing back. Age against him, cash in.
    Tomori Really difficult to work out. Early form was great but then lack of game time saw him become invisible. Best option is to loan out to an attack minded team , preferably in Europe, to develop his technique.
    Jorginho In my book totally unsuited to the helter skelter of PL . Too slow, hopeless defender, too negative and just not physical enough.
    RLC Still trying to work out why he's so highly regarded. Never does anything that makes me think Wow, what a player.
    Barkley Taxi !!!!!!! Jesus where is that bloody taxi ??
    Kante Love this bloke, but he doesn't seem to suit any style of play we adopt. Sell with reluctance
    Kovacic Been great all season in a pretty shambolic midfield. Gives us the grit and grunt which we really need.
    Reece James His poor defending looked ominous, but big lift recently. Another one suffering from a too often changing set up. One of our big success players.
    Mount Not the finished article, but when he doesn't have to do all the midfield attacking himself, looks primed for great things with our new buys beside him. Great work rate, skill and energy, top marks.
    Pulisic Best prospect since Hazard. Looks light years better than our other youngsters.
    Willian, Gone by the looks of things ,which is a big loss. Probably the best player on our books.
    Pedro Great Club man, best wishes at Roma.
    CHO Took forever to come back, but now on the way. Think he has a big ego problem which we caved into and needs suppressing. Pulisic and the new players he has to compete with, will make or break him Does he have the talent and fight in him??. Everything to prove and every chance to do so.
    Giroud The kind every club needs, just does what he's supposed to do, scores all our goals.
    Tammy Abraham Far too concerned with a better contract and more money, but done nothing to earn either.
    Big call, but I would sell him, he's learned nothing this season, is always offside, is not physical but hasn't a clue how to play striker when you have loads of talent but a poor football brain. Can't see that changing.
    Think that covers it, sorry its so long but over to you.
    Really looking forward to opinions.

2. Chelsea Pensioner

What? Not a soul prepared to rate the squad as they see it ?
    We're about to experience the most interesting season in the 52 years I've been following Chelsea, but no one has any opinion??

3. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

so you want rid of the majority of your squad <laugh>
    PS your squad is unbalanced with all the talent going forward .

4. Chelsea Pensioner

No not the majority, just those past it and not good enough, including those who should have gone last year but for our ban.
    And it's because the squad IS unbalanced that the changes are necessary. We have turned our attention to defence already with several players being scouted.
    I think when we add up the sales and subtract the buys, we won't be much different from the last 2 years of business done by all the top Clubs.

5. Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys

Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys Well-Known Member

Our squad up front looks very good. The front three is now looking very good and the back up for it also solid. Do we have a world class striker in Werner? Only time will tell but it should certainly help Abraham along.
    In terms of Tammy, I think he’s got 2 more seasons to turn into what is required before we sell him.
    Our midfield is mixed. A lot of injuries and I don’t think Frank really knows his best set up there. Kante desperately needs to be moved back into his defensive role. This will give our defence a great deal more protection. I think all the ingredients are there but the balance is not quite right.
    Our defence is just a shambles. JT never replaced. James is definitely going to be one for the future but the rest are either not good enough or past it.
    Kepa needs to be sat down and given a chat. He’s a good keeper but his confidence is just all over the place.

6. Solid_Air 2

on your list the way you worded it it was the majority you wanted gone . Your squad has become more unbalanced by your recent transfer activity with 3 of your last 4 signings being forwards .

7. Chelsea Pensioner

See what you mean, but actually the only ones I think we should sell are Christensen, Kepa ( but loan him season 20-21 sell in 2022), Alonso,Emerson,Jorginho and Barkley. That's purely on lack of performance. Kante ,unless he's played as defensive mid, is wasted, and we'd be better to sell for big money and bring in a proper, clever distributing midfielder, if we can find one. Abraham ,I think, is just not developing and contributes little to nothing. Super Chelsea says give him more time, perhaps that's the right choice, but if he doesn't really fire up, he'll be worth nothing in another season. With the funds from those sales, plus Bakayoko, Drinkwater, and a few others not featuring, we'll be bringing in funds to cover a fair bit of our buying. We are trying to do 2 seasons deals in one, and sure we will strengthen defence to better balance next seasons squad.

8. The Ginger Marks

Rudiger is on the way out, probably to Liverpool if rumours are correct, Zouma is a stayer & Christensen. James will be one of the best, need a new keeper, central defender and a left back. Rest can wait, I think Frank wants to see what balance the new boys bring.

9. Solid_Air 2

Money isn't the issue it is a question of balancing your squad and producing a cohesive team which is difficult to do if you bin nearly a third of your squad as you are relying on a lot of new players fitting in straight away & that is highly unlikely .

10. Solid_Air 2

They're not <laugh>

11. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

Harsh on Abraham imo, granted he’s nowhere near the finished article but 18 goals in his debut season isn’t bad going at all....
    Crying out for a centre half who’s left footed imo, a left back who’s as good as Alonso in the air but better at defending and a keeper who can actually save a shot, Kepa is dreadful. Havertz would be nice if it happened but I don’t think he should be a priority.

I’d get rid of Jorginho as he doesn’t fit the style of play, Emerson, probably Barkley, Rudiger, Kepa although he’ll be hard to shift and then some of the fringe players, Bakayoko, Batshuayi, Drinkwater etc but that’s a lot to do in one window. We do need a bit of a clear out though!

12. Chelsea Pensioner

I don't think we expect instant results, pretty much all of us Chelsea supporters recognise that we can't go on swapping managers every 6 months and relying on huge players to keep us up. We did for years and it certainly worked, but things have changed all over the world including the PL.
    My guess is Season 20-21 is the one we put down our marker as Lampards Chelsea if you like, in our play and in our attitude. I believe ( and hope I'm right ) that even R Abramovich has conceded that to get to the top AND stay there in this day and age, you need a run of 5 years with the same manager, same philosophy of play and a balanced squad each member capable of improvement. Liverpool have shown us all why, and Man City before them. I hope we are now welded on to that method, which puts us 3 years behind City and 2 behind Liverpool.
    Liverpool and City have a different problem to us. Having got to the top, they now need a system to keep them there, probably a more difficult task than ours, which is simply to get there.
    That's why I think things are the most interesting for years, what with the Europa Cup qualifiers from PL getting money to improve, Wolves and Sheffield Utd making great steps, in the words of the great Bob Dylan .... The order is rapidly changing ....

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  13. Chelsea Pensioner

Abraham has the box seat to success, can he take it ? I have my doubts. His early scoring record was excellent, when Chelsea were a surprise packet. Once things got tough he disappeared, when played again hes' flapped around like a pub player with an expensive haircut. I'm happy to back off, but he'd better start earning the obscene money he earns, and quick, and that goes for his mate CHO as well. Totally agree with our weaknesses, leader at CD, left back( or two) Midfield controller, something we haven't had since Frank, and keeper.Mid field general is a glaring problem we have ignored for far too long. Havertz can sort that , and I'm all for paying what it takes.

14. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I wasnt expecting top 4 this season, and we got it, so I cant complain too much.

Kepa needs to go
    Willian is now gone, a decent player, but Ziyechs signing was the nail in the coffin, plus he is ageing, Arsenal will get one good season from him at best probably.
    If we sign Havertz, which is looking increasingly likely now, since the news that broke this morning, then for me, we need a keeper, full back and a Centre back and we are good to challenge.
    Not sure who those people will be. Not convinced by Ben Chilwell really. Oblak would the dream GK signing. And this isnt likely all to be done in one window, unless Franks been given £250m to spend on top of the two signings we have already made in Werner and Ziyech. Which I doubt.

My personal feeling is that we will sign Havertz and a keeper. Then go into next season with more firepower, but a still calamitous defence and we will finish top 6 again next season, because there is no way we are challenging for the PL title with the defence we have

15. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

There's a good player in there, he needs a dominant CB to learn from, am old head who can talk and that you can rely on. You're daft if you don't bring that kind of player in for the new season.

16. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I take it you'll play a front three this coming season?

Pulsic Abraham Werner

Pulsic Werner Ziyech

Something like that?

17. Chelsea Pensioner

Second 3 please.

18. The Ginger Marks

That player is Zouma, Chelsea are lining up Lewis Dunk from Brighton or Declan Rice of Wet Spam or both.

19. BobbyD

BobbyD President

rudigers 27 already lol. Not sure theres much learning from a veteran left. He's decent enough but he's been making some pretty bad errors of late

20. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Wow didn't think he was that old, I remember watching him play a Confederations Cup tournament and he was solid, really good. Hasn't been great for you this season.