1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hillsborough Inquest

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Apr 26, 2016.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Big turn-out to the final day of the inquest, as you might expect, jury's verdict due to be announced at 11.00am.

please log in to view this image

2. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Josh Halliday ‏@JoshHalliday
    Court clerk tells Hillsborough families in annex: "It's important we have no adverse reaction whatsoever to what the verdicts might be."

Court clerk: Hillsborough jury to answer 14 general questions first, then adjourn and return later to deliver verdicts on the 96 deaths.

3. ElTigre

ElTigre Well-Known Member

Verdict: Unlawful killing

4. charon-the-ferryman

charon-the-ferryman Well-Known Member

unfortunately the families will only accept one verdict - if there is any suggestion that any of the blame lies with Liverpool fans themselves then I'm afraid the saga will go on - I truly hope this is the end of it and everyone can move on - may the victims rest in peace

5. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Q1: Did 96 people die as a result of the disaster due to crushing in central pens? Yes.

Q2: Was there any error or omission in police planning and preparation for the semi final? Yes.

Q3: Any errors or omission in policing which caused or contributed to dangerous situation outside turnstiles? Yes.

Q4. Was there any error or omission by commanding officers which caused or contributed to the crush on the terrace? Yes.

Q5: Any error or omission by commanding officers when order was given to open exit gates? YES, failed to close tunnel.

Q6. Are you satisfied, so that you are sure, that those who died in the disaster were unlawfully killed? Yes (clapping from family members).

Q7: Jury has ruled there was NO behaviour by football supporters which caused or contributed to the disaster.

Q8. Nobody tweeted Q8 response.

Q9. Jury finds there was error or omission in safety certification and oversight of Hillsborough that caused or contributed to disaster.

Q10. Did errors By Sheffield Wednesday FC and staff contribute to dangerous situation at match? Yes.

6. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Q11. Did errors by Sheffield Wednesday and staff contribute to dangerous situation at Leppings Lane turnstiles? No.

Q12. After the crush begun to develop, was there any error by the police which caused or contributed to the loss of lives in the disaster? Yes

Q13. Jury finds there WAS error or omission by police after the crush which caused or contributed to the disaster.

Q14. After crush developed was there error by ambulance service which contributed to deaths? Yes.

Court adjourned to huge round of applause from family members inside the courtroom and the annex. Hugging, tears, heads in hands.

7. charon-the-ferryman

charon-the-ferryman Well-Known Member

8. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

100% agree. This would never stop until they get the result that they wanted.

9. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

Your right, it wasn't a pursuit of justice as they wouldn't have accepted any other verdict.

However I'm glad they have got the verdict they needed so they can finally get some closure, this has dominated their lives for three decades and now they can move on knowing they fought and did their loved ones proud.

10. bum_chinned_crab

Precisely. I dont claim to know enough about what happened that day to have any kind of opinion on who was or wasnt guilty, but it's clear that if those with the evidence had reached a decision that the families didnt like, it would just have gone on until they did.

11. Obadiah

Obadiah Well-Known Member

Given what the police did on the day there was no other acceptable verdict than unlawful killing.

12. GlassHalfHull

GlassHalfHull Well-Known Member

There's a lot of prejudice against Liverpool fans in part due to the PR campaign by those parties now found guilty of contributing to the unlawful deaths of the 96. I was influenced by it too until I read an earlier report and a chapter of David Conn's book "a Beautiful Game". I have come to my senses and could weep when I consider that this could have been any of us who attended matches in the 70s and 80s. I am not a religious man but " there but for the grace of god" comes to mind.
    One example of contributory negligence at Hillsborough is that the back of Liverpool tickets showed an erroneous diagram telling them to use entrance B. The tunnel to the Leppings Lane sections where 96 fans died had a huge letter B painted above it. This was not where they should have been directed, but no stewards were there to direct them. Think about it. This should not have been allowed to happen.

13. beyondthetouchline...

beyondthetouchline... Active Member

feels like some still, at some level, blame the supporters to some degree. I'm sure that if the evidence was there & the verdict was different the relatives, however difficult, would have accepted the verdict. I believe this was a pursuit of truth & justice on behalf of those who died albeit fuelled by grief. massive contempt shown by the authorities for football supporters. alas, such contempt is still around in football today. emerges in various ways: pricing, policing & stewarding...

HHH, moonraker, Kempton and 2 others like this.
  14. bum_chinned_crab

I just happened to be on the Sheffield Star website for another (work related) reason and saw this story. Im not interested in his comments, but is the photo a bit odd? There's people clearly scrambling desperate to get out and then there's others stood right next to them (seemingly) nonchalantly watching the game (if it was still going on then).

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/unrul...ugh-disaster-former-sergeant-claims-1-7143015

I dont mean anything by this, just it seems odd to me.

15. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

What about the hordes of fans that turned up without tickets and forced their way in? Was that a lie or did it actually happen?

TigerJools likes this.
  16. Quill

Quill Bastard

Only one national newspaper hasn't reported the verdict.

Have a guess which one.

EDIT: Scratch that, they have now. Funny how they were last to the punch.

17. Obadiah

Obadiah Well-Known Member

It was a lie.

18. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

what happens now, will anybody now face criminal prosecution?

19. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Sky News ‏@SkyNews
    The Crown Prosecution Service to consider whether criminal charges should be brought following #Hillsborough Inquest.

20. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Criminal charges hve to be brought, not necessarily for the mistakes that caused the tragedy itself, but all the tampering of documents and other bullshit involved in the cover up.

Didn't SYP buy a holiday home with the donations for the families?

Sucky likes this.