1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Help needed!!!

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by The Situation, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Situation

The Situation Active Member

Hi guys, got to submit a title or idea for my dissertation, however have no clue what to do!

I do law and I'm tempted to do sports law as I would probably find it most interesting, any one got any good ideas or angles to take?

It needs to be sports law in context with EU law, Criminal Law or tort law, anyone seen any recent changes to laws in sport?

Or if anyone has done law and has any general dissertation ideas or is infact a lawyer.

Any help welcomed!!!

2. rabit71

rabit71 Member

racism in sport? recent cases should have loads of info

3. rabit71

rabit71 Member

could do the swiss stuff where they took it to a civil court but uefa ignored their ruling, even though uefa rules state they are bound by swiss law.

4. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I did Law (at Leicester Uni back in 2001-2004). Trying to think of sports law in those areas... you've got the issue of when a tackle on the field can become a criminal matter (case law with Saunders and another with Sumner or someone like that). This rears its head now and again like when Dyer and Bowyer had that punch up and someone reported it to the police. This could also be taken up in a Tort law context.

Or you could go with Bosman and "freedom of employment" arguments which tie in with potential slavery and Pan-European Human Rights law.

None of these are recent changes but to be honest since i qualified in '09 i only really research the areas i now work in. Maybe there's some scope for research into the recent racism issues?

5. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

How about the inter relationship between E U Law and the restrictions on trade caused by "transfer windows" ?

6. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Pah - Rabit you got there before me. Touche.

7. The Strawberry Syrup Man

The Strawberry Syrup Man Well-Known Member

Bosman transfer? Is that anything to do with law?

8. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

Simple thing, change topic, I did Business Law as one of my modules during my 2nd year of University worst thing I've ever done. So good luck.

9. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

yeah Bosman transfer is based on a legal case brought by the player (someoneorever) Bosman who took his team to court to be allowed to move clubs as they weren't allowing him to do so.

Before then a player was tied to a club even when the contract ran down. Bosman was offered new contracts by other teams but wasn't allowed to leave to join them as his team (Belgian i think) wouldn't permit it. They reduced his wages and had him rotting in the reserves. That was allowed as player were seen as belonging to clubs until the clubs let them leave. Like i alluded to, it was borderline slavery.

10. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

Bosman Ruling.

Union Royale Belge des Sociétés de Football Association ASBL v Jean-Marc Bosman (1995) C-415/93 (known as the "Bosman ruling")[1] is a 1995 European Court of Justice decision concerning freedom of movement for workers, freedom of association, and direct effect of article 39[2] (formerly 48) of the EC Treaty. The case was an important decision on the free movement of labour and had a profound effect on the transfers of football players within the EU. The case banned restrictions of foreign EU members within the national leagues and allowed professional football players in the European Union (EU) to move freely to another club at the end of their term of contract with their present team.

The ruling was made in a consolidation of three separate legal cases, all involving Belgian player Jean-Marc Bosman:

11. The Situation

The Situation Active Member

Thanks guys the bosman idea is a really good idea as I can tie it into freedom of movement (EU law) and employment law, the issue of when a incident during a game that turns criminal is also intriguing, however I have to write 15,000 words so may run out of things to write...

Its so hard to decide!!!

12. rabit71

rabit71 Member

link a couple of them together

bosman ruling with current transfer windows?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.