1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Great to see

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Ron, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Very pleased to see you up there with a fighting chance of the play-offs. Good luck. I'm keeping my eyes open for the day you get back to the Premiership <cheers><party>

2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Yes, it's great to see us being praised for the excellent football we're playing and the fantastic support, another sell out for a second consecutive trek to London.

The play offs would be nice but I suspect a few would like a run in the FA Cup tbh. The BBC have chosen the Fulham game for TV so they obviously think an upset in on the cards as well as the chance of another brilliant team goal.

Anyway, how are Wycombe doing?

Ron likes this.
  3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Do
    Doing OK thanks but got off to a bad start with no first team GK and injuries. Otherwise we would be up there challenging again. Just signed a Wolves player on loan but, unfortunately, we have lost our key striker Mehmeti to Bristol City. You will probably see him on Feb 18th. Could you let us know how he does up there in the Championship please. Fantastic for us. Recruited for our development squad and has not stopped progressing

4. Smug in Boots

I'm surprised you've let Mehmet go with a chance of the play-offs tbh. Is the owner spending as he said he would.

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We never stop any player from progressing their career. Don't know how much we got for him but there are add on clauses from which we should see some decent returns

The owner leaves the recruitment to GA, who is very careful to get players with the right attitude who will fit in. We can't afford to pay big money for teams in higher leagues and probably couldn't attract them anyway, apart from on loan. I think this is our first loan this season. With our current squad fit, we can compete with any team in this league (or could when Mehmeti was here). The loan was clearly a replacement for Mehmeti; we'll have see how that goes. Injuries could be our downfall. Realistically, not expecting to make the play-offs as we dropped so many points in the first 2 months. I'm amazed that we have even a chance of making the play-offs

6. mrs em

mrs em Active Member

<applause>

7. malagamackem

malagamackem Well-Known Member

Cheers Ron....and best of luck to Wycombe

8. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

win the F A cup and finish 10th i would be happy with that.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  9. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

FA Cup is a bit much imo. One of the top clubs in Premier League always take this seriously and as good as our lads are wouldn't fancy them against the Manchester clubs.

Robertson likes this.
  10. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Nobody fancied us against the Mighty Leeds 50 years ago and we all know how that turned out.

Smug in Boots and Robertson like this.

11. young2077

Fair enough mate. Genuine question though, as I was born a decade later, was the gap as big back then between our level and best in the country?

Anything possible of course and anything can win on the day but when is the last time it wasn't won by a team in the top league in this country?

Just googled it and not surprised it was a while ago, can anyone guess?

Robertson likes this.
  12. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Leeds team was that fancied the media were virtually calling it a no contest. There was only us fans who thought differently.
    As for last time was in Southampton late 80s early 90s? under Lawrie Mac. My memory is rubbish mind.

young2077 and Robertson like this.
  13. Smug in Boots

Leeds had 11 full internationals ...

.. we had kids like Horswill who even his parents had never heard of.

We were put up as lambs to the slaughter and Leeds looked down on us llke we were a pub team.

I fully expected them to pat our team on their heads when we lined up pre-match.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    young2077 likes this.
  14. young2077

Thanks for the reply guys. I knew Leeds were the firm favourites and winning everything at the times but always assumed the gap is bigger these days due to teams like City for example being made up of some of the best players and internationals from all over the world as opposed to the best from the UK. But I suppose its relative as we wouldn't have the other players from across the world we have either.

The last team to win from outside the top division according to Google was West Ham in 1980.