1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grant McCann

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Kempton, Nov 26, 2020.

1. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Exactly, would have been much more difficult the other way round. I did, however, drive through the night so the traffic was light, which was a help.

BlackAndAmberGambler likes this.
  2. dazzar86

dazzar86 Well-Known Member

I think he's used the gap between seasons well - he's effectively used it as a reset button. After Bowen and Grosicki were sold, the rest of the squad clearly adopted a mentality of "well if the owners have given up trying to achieve something, why shouldn't I?"

Bringing in the players we needed to compete at this level has been a big help with the reset, and I hope (IF we're promoted) we're planning on buying up the best of what we've seen in League One to help consolidate our place in a league above.

Callum Camps at Fleetwood, Scott Fraser and David Kasumu at MK Dons, Siriki Dembele at Peterborough (if they don't go up, even though he's a diving little ****!) the stand outs so far.

Any recruitment in January needs to add to the quality, not just come in as squad player to make up the numbers, otherwise they become redundant if we go up.
    Eamonn Brophy at Kilmarnock would be a good one to look at - out of contract at the end of the season, wants to get back into the Scotland squad and has been in and out the Kilmarnock team due to a change in formation, so could get a decent player at a good age and a good price.

3. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

There's a chant in here somewhere.

Ernie Shackleton likes this.
  4. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of any evidence of him coming up with a Plan B. Recent changes have all been about rotating front and midfield players, which I like (keeps everyone hungry) but no evidence of him showing any newly acquired tactical nous. Now we are allowed five, barring injuries we know the front three (Eaves for Magennis, then which ever two wide players) are likely to be changed plus two of the midfield three.

MartinofHull and Plum like this.
  5. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

First sentence is undoubtedly true. But, in full reality it was actually often a 4 2 4 as Honeyman was everywhere, even often more advanced than the front 3, with the supposed midfield '3' then being all over the shop. On top of that, the wide men in the front 3 not working hard enough meant massive gaps in midfield to exploit and the back 4 exposed time and again. As you say, most everyone could see it .... not least the opposition.
    It now looks to me like it's set up as 4 2 3 1, with Honeyman still buzzing everywhere but coming from the middle of the 3 with security of 2 holding midfielders behind him. And the 2 wider men in the 3 are working harder than previously. And the full backs have been a revelation (Emmanuel, what a signing), defensively sound and contributing going forward as they should. And importantly he now has decent options & depth all round, including for the holding 2 (in Smallwood, Jones, Docherty, Batty, Slater, even Coyle if needed).
    Fair play. He has changed (or tweaked) things. And it's working. I just don't understand why it took so long, even into this season. And for that, for me he has a lot further to go before he comes out of the relegation zone of worst managers we've ever had. But, current state viewed in isolation is looking pretty damn good (relatively speaking).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  6. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Do you think he drives a van?

It's the man in a van yeh
    It's grant mc cann

Evington likes this.
  7. Evington

Evington Well-Known Member

Possibly, but is this sufficient to keep him? At least the supporters could clap along I guess whilst the North Stand sang. He still wouldn't wave though so it's a NO from me.

8. frankbanksneck

frankbanksneck Well-Known Member

Selling 'The Crown Jewels' should just have inspired the rest of the squad to step into the vacant spaces.

9. cheshireles

cheshireles Well-Known Member

Absolutely not!!

MartinofHull likes this.
  10. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

I think that unless **** is lucky. Had there been a crowd second half of last season he'd have been gone... today, those there would have let them know..

Howden Tigress and Quill like this.