1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grant McCann

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Kempton, Nov 26, 2020.

1. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

I never heard any of last seasons players apologise either.

Stockholm Tiger likes this.
  2. Blaknamberblood

Blaknamberblood Well-Known Member

Credit where credit is due .. McCann has turned it round at the moment and is getting the results. I look at our squad that has been built and am certainly more confident now then at the end of last season .. however there is a but (yup there's always a but) as I said recently .. managing a team full of confidence and winning is much easier then working out whats going wrong if you're losing games and being flexible enough to change systems to combat that. He has already shown a couple of times that he may be learning .. Tuesday night for example he made the changes at the right time .. albeit like for like .. but it did the job. But I still have this worry that teams and in particular coaches/managers may work us out .. Will he continue to learn and alter the formations accordingly or will he still stick blindly to his preferred plan A. This season so far B+ ... last season U and major fail

3. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Exactly
    I’m often found in East Stand responding to chants of ‘{insert manager’s name here} give us a wave’ by shouting “Don’t you ****ing dare...concentrate on doing your ****ing job!”

4. Tentotwo

Tentotwo Well-Known Member

Said as much earlier in the season. Going down is only acceptable if you do it fighting for the shirt. We’re still work in progress...and the standard is obviously lower in this pot hole but the team spirit is obviously there again.

Fair play and Kudos to the bloke.

highpeak tiger and Kempton like this.
  5. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

I once drove all the way to Newquay in order to chant 'Fistral Beach, give us a wave'.

It didn't.

Worst day's surfing ever.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  6. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

Believe in McCann? No! Happy with the START? Yes! Still annoyed & pissed off at the way we capitulated last season? Yes! Had a bet we’d go down at the start of last season & wish I’d put on another bet in January when I was still saying we’d go down? **** YES!
    Maybe getting rid of players that weren’t up for it was the way to go, but until we get promoted back up, steady ourselves & start competing properly in the Championship, he’s got a long way to go before I’m going to credit him.
    I will say though he has gone from, IMO, the worst manager in our history, to now tie with Hateley.

7. Mckechnie Orange

Mckechnie Orange Well-Known Member

He saw his budget cut massively from the squad he inherited, and we all know where the responsibility for that lies. I do agree he needs to get us up and keep us up to redeem himself fully, as I believe he had the tools and points on board to stay up in the second half of last season, but expecting mid table championship as a newly promoted side to 'restore parity' is in effect a feat of improvement over Adkins if you consider respective budgets. Grant's will likely be about half of the one Nige walked away from.

frankbanksneck and Kempton like this.
  8. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

The MK game was the first time I really thought that I got him as a manager.
    In scuba diving we have a saying “Plan the dive and dive the plan.”
    McCann has probably planned every game but it was the first time I believed that he and his team had it in them to deliver it.
    Then up comes Ipswich and by **** it came together. You could see the team draw the Ipswich attack and mid field in and **** the defence up.
    Marvellous, ****ing marvellous.

9. Off The Line

Off The Line Well-Known Member

We struggled in Defensive midfield last season, now he has two decent options to call upon; at the same time if necessary, which certainly helped to put Fleetwood back in their place.

10. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Loved Newquay, though my most vivid memory was having to drive all the way back to Hull with no brakes, just a hand brake. Took some doing, but I had no money left after the holiday to get it repaired.

rovertiger and Ernie Shackleton like this.

11. Blaknamberblood

Blaknamberblood Well-Known Member

We struggled due to his insistence of playing a 3 man midfield and a 3 man attack .. teams worked us out .. everyone saw the problem apart from him. There were options there .. play 5 at the back .. play two banks of 4 .. get legs in the middle of the park etc. The quality this season is lower then that of last season and yes as I have previously said the spine of the team has improved immeasurably.. but I remain cautious as to the quality of McCann and his ability to evolve his tactics during a game.

Off The Line and rovertiger like this.
  12. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

I trust Scunthorpe fans won't ask their manager to give them a wave!

13. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

I would put Mike Smith above them. It was impossible to believe a team with the players we had at that time could get relegated but he managed to get them to do it.

TwoWrights and Brucebones like this.
  14. Off The Line

Off The Line Well-Known Member

Of course that. Having players like Smallwood and Jones would have helped though. It was also often said that there wasn't a proper leader on the pitch, particularly after lockdown.

15. cheshireles

cheshireles Well-Known Member

Long journey on a bicycle!

16. cheshireles

cheshireles Well-Known Member

Terry keeps referring to 'The Plan', he obviously got that part but completely messed up with his understanding of the 'dive' aspect as he successfully dropped us through The Championships trap door!

MartinofHull likes this.
  17. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

Slightly before my time though, started following City 85/86, first game 91. I’ve seen a lot of games since, so just going off that.

18. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

I live in hope, almost expectation that he'll get this right. It's just a hunch, but I remember having a hunch that we'd reach the top flight one day and that was back when we were in div 4.

I'd go to a games at BP and come back gutted that we'd just given away a 2 goal lead to Peterborough and lost 3-2.

People laughed at me when I said we'd get there (the top flight) eventually. Even my Dad told me to 'shurrup'.

I have that same hunch right now.

****! I forgot to order sandwich :angry:

19. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Lucky it's uphill all the way home.

20. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

Just had a further text from McCann,
    "enjoy the good times, endure the bad ones, some give the impression they're jumbling that up". :emoticon-0100-smile

Tickton Tiger. likes this.