1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gerrard

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by DR Dirk, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

I want Shelvey to get more game time this season, at the expense of Adam if needs be. He looks comfortable on the ball and always seems to have time to pick out his passes which is something all quality players do with ease. I reckon he could be a gem for us in the next few years but seems to be behind Henderson currently, mostly because of Henderson's transfer value tbh. I don't particuarly think Henderson is any better than Shelvey at the moment.

2. David Ngod

David Ngod Member

shelvey is a very raw talent, but saying that adam seems to make the same mistakes i expect jonjo to (silly tackles, very poor defensively leaving huge gaps) . i think henderson is very mature for his age, has a very good engine ant retains possession very well

3. BringBackBenítez

It doesn't matter how outstanding they were in the reserves. That's never a good way to judge their potential. Look at every club, they all have reserves with players who perform outstandingly, only about 1 will break through into the 1st team convincingly every 2 or 3 seasons though. The managers haven't given the youth players a chance because they haven't been good enough, they were all apart of a manufacturing line but the final product just wasn't good enough.

And to answer your last question, we currently have Martin Kelly breaking through.

4. David Ngod

David Ngod Member

compare how much game time kelly is getting to youngsters at other clubs, i wouldnt consider that as breaking through. Clubs like arsenal, united, tottenham can give youngsters chances, so can clubs lower than us like sunderland. why cant we?

and a good way to judge their potential is to actually play them first team, then judge them. If i see our current crop of youngsters wasted (suso, sterling, coady, morgan, wisdom, shelvey, robinson, flannagan) then there is no hope, it must be really ****ty being a young player eager to impress yet not getting a chance because waste of spaces like downing are played to try and justify their price tags, yet these senior players do not realise what a privilege it is to play for Liverpool

5. BringBackBenítez

Yes, and that's because we have Kenneth Dalglish in charge who in my opinion isn't a good manager for modern, and persists with Glen Johnson. Martin Kelly to me is by far superior to Glen Johnson and will have a big future for us and possibly England if managed correctly.

Those clubs can do it because they have had a better youth/reserve infrastructure than us. When Rafael benítez was in charge, he implemented a good youth system, which we are now seeing the first few players roll off the production line. All the past players we have had just haven't been good enough, otherwise they would have broken into the 1st team.

6. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Yes Rafa set it up but in his time the vast majority passed on through to anywhere but our team too & it continues: just like you said, 1 player in 3 years is the average. Everyone looks at fergies jackpot year with his youth & believes it will happen to their club; it was largely luck.

Look at the the players being raved about now: Suso, Sterling? Yes; one I believe will make it in the premier league eventually, one back on the European mainland but from watching them in reserves & style of first team? Not yet.

Sterling is not Owen

Suso is not Alonso.

7. BringBackBenítez

I agree with everything you say here.
    I'm not even sure why people try to use Manchester United as an example, I honestly struggle to think of the last player they brought through their academy that made it big.