1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gerrard

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by DR Dirk, Feb 10, 2012.

1. DR Dirk

DR Dirk Member

I know i will get hammered for this, but....

does anybody else think gerrard slows down the way we play and pass?

im not questioning hes legendary status or his class, but against spuds i did think he sometimes stifled attack by taking too many touches..

maybe hes is so used to carrying the team and he feels he still needs too?

*runs away and hides*

DR.

2. Denny Kalglish

no to be honest! One of SG strentghs for me is is the speed he picks the RIGHT pass - he is the best we have in this area. Don't let his age cloud your judgement !

3. Magic Ted

Magic Ted Talulah

It depends how you play him. As a holding midfielder yes he does, but when he plays further forward he uses the ball very well and drives forward more.

4. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

5. DR Dirk

DR Dirk Member

yeah thats probably what i failed to address.

id love to see him just off Carroll.:emoticon-0115-inlov

6. moreinjuredthanowen

one word NO!

gerrard has three things that he brings...

1. he always looks to pass forward

2. he demands the ball.

3. he looks to creat actual danger.

to be frank the back passing efforts of mos tof our team are annoying at times and we are more baout not losing the ball or not being out of position or playing safe that we are not creating.

adam takes a risk sometimes and thats ok, spearing is a sidewasy man, our full backs and wingers seem to think back passing is rule one.

7. mighty_stevie_g

mighty_stevie_g Well-Known Member

No way, he's distribution is quality and he is always the man who is there to give the ball to.

Too many times players bomb forward leaving a full back with zero options but to whack one back to Reina, when Gerrard is on the pitch he moves with the play always offering the option to help out.

8. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Gerrard and Henderson have linked up well together...I hope Henderson starts ahead of Adam tomorrow.

9. mighty_stevie_g

mighty_stevie_g Well-Known Member

If anyone gets sent off tomorrow it will be Adam, i'd like to see Spearing and Henderson with Gerrard a little further forward, Bellers on the left and Kuyt on the right. Either Suarez or Carroll up top, not fussed which one starts but might be best to get Suarez on straight away because if he is subbed on it will be intimidating for him

10. Rubadub

Rubadub Well-Known Member

Spurs had a lot of men behind the ball and it was hard to brake them down, that can make the bulid up look very slow but really it was good play from Spurs that denided us the chance to break quickly.

11. BringBackBenítez

Yes. He is past it now in my opinion. Which is a shame. But that's just football. I think now is the right time we invested in a proper young CAM to replace him.

12. CCC

CCC Poet Laureate

I don't agree that he's past it, at all. I do, however, agree we do need to bring in another young, talented attacking midfielder. Not to replace Gerrard, though. You can never really replace truly great players in a like-for-like manner. All great players are unique - different strengths and weaknesses. What Managers have to do is bring in other great players who (most importantly) FIT with the style of the team's play. Although I could see Jonjo and / or Hendo fill the AM role (or other midfield roles, they are both good passers, for example) in the future, I'd like another option. Possibly a player with silky dribbling skills? <ok>

13. BringBackBenítez

Yes, I would like to see someone who can dribble very nicely through the middle, it seems to be the modern thing and a lot of clubs are implementing, more and more technically gifted players through the middle. I would love to see us go for Thorgan Hazard. He is young enough to not require a full season of 1st team football to let Gerrard finish off nicely, and then we can bring him through gradually with a bit of rotation.

14. CCC

CCC Poet Laureate

Quite a good shout. If Lens would let him go, and he didn't cost us a quarter of what his older brother would, it'd be a decent gamble.

15. BringBackBenítez

I don't think he would cost anything over £10 million. Which looking at it now, is a hell of a lot of money for an 18 year old. But he right at the top of the pile of the most talented 18 year old players out there right now, and is said to be an even bigger prospect than his brother. I would snap him up as soon as possible if I were in charge.

16. David Ngod

David Ngod Member

everyone forgetting about jonjo? he needs to be given a chance considering we recalled him from blackpool and haven't played him at all. Kenny needs to realise some of our youngsters can't do any worse than our senior players e.g. sterling for downing, henderson is better than adam imo. I just don't want to see the likes of another very talented youngster not given a chance over some over payed under performing twats. Pacheco, nemeth, mellor, hobbs ring any bells

17. CCC

CCC Poet Laureate

Mentioned Shelvey a couple of posts ago. I rate him, and Henderson, very highly. Agree, also, that Raheem will slowly get more games with the first team - may even get a game this season (but most likely next year). Not sure the players you mentioned would make it in the premiership - although, I thought Mellor deserved a few more chances, especially after his Arsenal wonder goal. Peach! ;)

18. David Ngod

David Ngod Member

the thing is they never got a chance to prove they could, instead we were playing players like voronin

19. BringBackBenítez

They never deserved the chance, they weren't good enough.

20. David Ngod

David Ngod Member

im sorry but who are you to say that? they were outstanding in the reserves and i personally believe that our managers have not given youth players a chance over the last 8 years odd. Who have we had come through since stevie, carra, owen, fowler etc?