1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gaston Ramirez

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by The Based God, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Also stop partiallycircumventing the swear filter ;)

2. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Seriously though, you post saying you want us to sign English players because foreign players are where we went wrong last time (probably the most stupid thing you've said), complaining during the deal about signing an expensive unproven foreigner, then when he has an incredible debut that left 30,000 stunned you said he made very little impact. I wonder why people think you don't like foreigners?

3. RickieLambertsGoldenBoot

RickieLambertsGoldenBoot Well-Known Member

At the time I would've preferred someone with less of a big price tag and someone that would adapt straight away.

But he did well yesterday.

Yoshida I thought was excellent, as I have previously stated <ok>

4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

RLGB you actually said he didn't do a lot apart from a few fancy flicks, or words to that affect. I'm not interested in the foreigner row, but I'd like to understand your thoughts if you think Gaston was anything other than outstanding.

You said "he did quite well".

I'd like to debate that if you don't mind. Why only "quite well"?

My justification for outstanding is based on his ability to move into the correct space before his team mate gets the ball and becomes a good option, his stunning vision and passing, the fact he gets his head up and thinks can I shoot if he's near the goal, a first touch that looks better than Lallana's (on first showing) and his strength on the ball when harassed by an opponent. Pick me apart if I'm wrong.

5. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Not sure about the Northam appropriating Man Utd's "ohh, Robin van Persie" chant for Gaston. But he was immense yesterday. A long time since I've seen a Saint's player with such a sure first touch, and the ability to pick out and execute the perfect pass, just about every time. A legend in the making on that performance.

6. saint-jenny

saint-jenny Active Member

Not sure I would call him "unproven" - in the premier league perhaps, but pretty much everyone was raving about him before he signed, and was pretty gobsmacked when he did. Personally, I think he is going to be amazing for us for the next 2-3 years, hopefully longer. This team is young, we can only get better <bubbly>

7. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Why are you wasting your time reading that tosh in the first place?

8. FunnyForumName

Do you watch football a lot? Because what Ramirez did yesterday was nothing short of icneredble, his touch was pin point aswell his first time passes. I genuinly don't feel silly comparing that performance to Xavi-esque if you don't understand how good he was then you don't understand how hard it is to control, pass and then look up and give the pass. The prime example was when he set up Clyne, and the Lallana, which everyone thought he passed to Lambert when he was offside, He was brilliant.

9. FunnyForumName

I'm glad most other people here can see how good he was. There's a reason everyone was singing his name at the final whistle, two assists, 89% pass completeion without even having to sprint.

10. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

For some reason he didn't get any bonus points in the Fantasy League. This is a disgrace. (nothing to do with him being my captain)

11. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

He did do a "few fancy flicks" - most of them fancy flicks straight through defenders straight to another teammate. His "fancy flicks" were all amazing passes.

But to say he "didn't do much" is factually incorrect - an assist, five "key passes" (normally meaning, setting up a goal scoring opportunity) and would have had two or three more but for attackers being offside. Those are just facts, ignoring the intangibles.

12. Mr.Gaston Ramirez

Mr.Gaston Ramirez New Member

Ramirez was crap ;).

13. RickieLambertsGoldenBoot

That's very OTT.

14. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Following the game I thought he had a good game, not spectacular but having watched the extended Football First highlights this morning I would up this to a very good game.
    I saw so much more of his skill and influence on TV than I saw from the Northern live

15. RickieLambertsGoldenBoot

I would agree with that <ok>

16. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I think it's easy to underestimate Ramirez's impact yesterday, because everything he did seemed to be at a mere canter. I'll say it here - the last time I saw someone so comfortable on the ball and pinging passes around to feet or stride, his name was Le Tissier. Ramirez played yesterday as if he'd been at St Marys for years and knew everyone's strengths and weaknesses perfectly. And he's actually going to get better.

Yoshida was indeed very good, and showed that there is not a lot wrong with Jose Fonte either. They teamed up very well, considering that was their first full match together aswell.

17. GoSaint

GoSaint Active Member

It's funny, we already had some good midfielders but in some matches I always felt we were lacking a really physical midfield general like Vierra or Keane to pull everyone else together. It's only been one full game but in Gaston we may have gotten ourself a more subtle, even better addition than I hoped for.

18. TheSecondStain

Indeed, you don't need quite the destroyer of a Keane or a Viera, when the opposition can't get the ball. Besides, Morgan does that job very well indeed, and ain't bad on the creative side either.

Actually, that's some midfield, isn't it..? Schneiderlin, Davis, Ramirez, Lallana, Puncheon, with real quality on the bench. And they all rotate and support Lambert. There's not a bad apple amongst them.

19. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

JWP and Corky as further options... mmm. And De Ridder, I guess.

20. TheSecondStain

You'd better add Guly as well, otherwise the very lovely Ms Godders :emoticon-0115-inlov will be complaining. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.