1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Fuel shortage

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by TIGERSCAVE, Sep 24, 2021.

1. springtiger

springtiger Well-Known Member

The reason for long queues is the twats who fill up then go shopping inside for 1/4 of an hour then queue again with others just paying for fuel whilst we all wait ! Should have dedicated fuel only counters at least - go back to selling fuel , lighter fuel , Rizlas cigs and oil in cans - them were the days aahh

2. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

And one more thing..... if they have no fuel, turn the ****ing price lights off, then we'd know !!!!

3. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Diesel car in front of me in a fuel queue. Driver was so intent on gazing at their phone, missed 3, yes 3, signs saying 'petrol only'. Looked distraught on arrival at the pump. Cheered me up no end!

4. springtiger

Went to fill car other week on pay at pump , only one working , driver filled went in shop- and I waited and waited probably 10 mins went to a pay at kiosk one , walked in and ina loud voice I said someone has deserted this Mazda . A sheepish woman stood by the coffee machine with a coffee and paying by phone - absolutely in her own bubble - inconsiderate sod - didn’t bother chatting her up

5. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Thick as a plank, that's why we've got queues.

balkan tiger likes this.
  6. brownbagtiger

brownbagtiger Well-Known Member

Most of the population have no idea how complex supply chains are these days, and it all works ok until there's a blip in buying behaviour that hasn't been factored into the software - weather, terrorism, covid, ships getting stuck etc. Businesses have evolved to the "just in time" model, virtually no-one has parts sitting on a shelf in a store room because that's money tied up in assets - unless you're the Allams and have made your business doing exactly that.

All this is a long-winded way of saying - it's more complicated than just blaming the media alone. The collective memory of rationing has long gone, the memory of the 1970s is fading for us old gits - people don't run their lives like they did 20, 50, 80 years ago, we're a consumer society and we want to buy what we want when we want it, and we react badly when we can't.

I think this is how its going to be for the foreseeable - more of these unexpected shortages at the point of consumption. Who knew that a consequence of not making fertiliser would lead to less CO2 and shortages of fresh food? We're a resourceful nation and I have no doubt that we'll be ok in the long run, but it may be uncomfortable for a while as the consequences of the decisions and events of the past couple of years are worked through.

Help! and springtiger like this.
  7. springtiger

Biggest problem is that the global economy allows the holder of the cards to hold the rest to ransom. Now we are all in hock to the Chinese economy they will do what they want - probably as we did in the industrial revolution - this is theirs but it has a greater global influence. Others such as Putin will do similar with gas etc. sorry to say but nuclear power stations and electric cars are useful but the Chinese and the Canadians have the minerals - which would you buy from - the cheapest or the least selfish? We have some of the lithium mineral but it’s in a nice part of the country so we are stuffed! Slightly off topic but soon Amazon will be so big like sky there will be little or no competition! Stuffed again

Edelman and brownbagtiger like this.
  8. brownbagtiger

brownbagtiger Well-Known Member

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if we're starting a significant re-alignment of the economy - the last time that happened being the 80s, and before that, post-WW2. So we're probably over-due if we operate on a 40-year cycle.

I can't say much more because every time I type something out I get too close to party politics.

Edelman and dennisboothstash like this.
  9. springtiger

Me too got sanctioned a while back - then a month later a full forum discourse was allowed -oh well
    Biggest problem is that so few people seem to be aware of what’s happening nationally and internationally or seem concerned - they should be! The reasons as you say are out there in front of them sorry but deep there

Edelman and dennisboothstash like this.
  10. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

I'm no economist, but I know the laws of demand and supply. Don't the Herbert's realise that chasing around looking for fuel will only increase the price when demand is high, but supply is low. Coupled to this is high elasticity. No matter how much you charge, people will always buy it. Fuel could go to £10 a litre. People will still buy it. We are far too reliant on the brum-brum.

11. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

We don't have to be though
    It's Govt policy (not just this Govt, but for decades)
    It could be changed and we are starting to see some desire for change, but requires significant investment in alternative options around walking, cycling, public transport and trains. Ultimately that will be a policy decision by a Govt, or not, and will take decades to change...so as that is outside the cycle of general elections it needs strong cross party consensus and support to be realistic.

Newland Tiger likes this.
  12. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

Good post Dennis.
    Labour are anti-car. Pro public transport, but no one in their right minds is going to vote them in any time soon. Because of the no politics rule. I'll end it there.

13. springtiger

Almost the flattest city in the country with a historic wide road system and we don’t get a tram system ! These days you might stop it at Cott Road , Witham , Arco , Freetown way and Station like they do in Wash DC to keep the undesirables out of downtown !!

14. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

If the ice caps keep melting the way they are you won't need a tram system,a canal system will be more appropriate:emoticon-0148-yes:

15. Ric Glasgow

16. SW3 Chelsea Tiger

SW3 Chelsea Tiger Well-Known Member

17. Ric Glasgow

18. Ric Glasgow

19. Stockholm Tiger

Stockholm Tiger Well-Known Member

Don't no what all the fuss is about filled up this morning no probs no queue.

LeftSaidFred likes this.
  20. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member