1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Food

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by FellTop, Jul 22, 2021.

1. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I wanted to give myself a break from thinking about transfers. Thought I would see what peoples favourite food and national cuisines are.

I love Italian and mediterranean food generally. Throw some seafood in with that and I am a happy boy. Thai food is amazing too and they have awesome street food. A good Jungle Curry is hard to beat. I try to cook a lot of thai food at home.

I love English food too. I love a great stew and dumplings, or lamb shank with mash. Liver and onions might be my choice for last supper.

If I could go back to one meal in my life it would be a beach restaurant in Bali where I had crab in a basket lid with some chilli tomato dipping sauce. Dear me it was gorgeous.

Anyone else?

2. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

sausage, beans, chips...alternate the sausage with pies, burgers etc.

not a fan of 'foreign muck' and never liked curry since i found out the reason for all the spices, put me reet off even if it does not really apply these days.

Nig and Draig like this.
  3. FellTop

<laugh> you might find sausages are 'foreign muck' in history. Tatties arent ours either.

Mind you I love sausage chips and beans myself. Particularly if battered. Anyone else love a cowboy snack pre match to soak the ale up?

samwise_new likes this.
  4. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

i class 'foreign muck' as pizza and curries, lol...and i am a total neanderthal in the kitchen...i also class salads as good as eating water, horrible feckin things...

5. FellTop

Fair play mate, I am no Gordon Ramsey either. I like cooking because my wife cant see what I am supping <laugh> tell you what though mate, if you ever get chance to get a genuine italian pizza you might change your mind. The best ones are properly tasty.

Whittylad, samwise_new and rooch 3 like this.
  6. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Ask me if I would choose a country to live in (and never leave, only eating that cuisine) and I'd have to chose Italy. Pastas and pizzas galore

Indian and Mexican food is amazing - had the best curry of my life in Mumbai when a friend took me to his local restaurant

If I'm cooking then Filet Steak done with dauphinoise potatoes, griddled corn and roasted green beans is hard to top. I do a mean lasagne too

Wish I liked Seafood (I've tried loads) but we never had it growing up as my Dad claimed to hate fish (he's never tried it)

FellTop likes this.
  7. FellTop

Love mexican food mate. A truly authentic chilli is hard to beat on a winters night.

Seafood is not to everybodies taste. If you want to love it try a seabass fillet simply fried. A wonderful taste and might get you started.

TopCat_ likes this.
  8. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Best pizza I ever had was from a little back street shop in Tuscany.

Whittylad and FellTop like this.
  9. O'conner flood

O'conner flood Well-Known Member

10. rooch 3

97B2A460-087A-47CA-A250-A0A822ED6956.jpeg
    I love steak but I buy 2 42oz rump steaks for when the bairns come over they love them, that’s a 16oz one so you can imagine a 42oz one.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021

11. rooch 3

12. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I love a curry. Lived in Bradford for a bit where there are some amazing curry restaurants. Lived in Birmingham too, where they make a big deal of their baltis but I still prefer Bradford. Especially when its served, as most of them used to when I lived there, with 3 chapatis, no rice and no knife and fork.
    I love Moroccan food and enjoy cooking that.
    I love trying different foods when travelling. That's a big part of travel for me and I've had some amazing stuff over the years. Funny you should mention Bali because I had some of my favourite ever meals there. That beachside restaurant wasn't at Jimbaran Bay, was it?

Makemstine Roger and FellTop like this.
  13. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

How much do the 42oz ones set you back? Do you get them from a butcher that sources them locally?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  14. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

I love Lebanese and Japanese food. There's a couple of places in Durham that I'm fairly regular with that serve these foods.

if I could go back to one sitting it would be eating proper Jamaican jerk chicken on the beach just after smoking some of their weed.

clockstander, FellTop and TopCat_ like this.
  15. rooch 3

Hi mate I just gave this company a try the are from Cornwall and they are grass fed from local Cornish farms, they have them on offer every now and again and they are on at the moment, they are reduced to £10 at the minute and del fresh to your door packed in ice bags. The company is called meat supermarket, Haha I know it sounds a bit dodgy but it’s not.

Nig, Makemstine Roger and Saf like this.
  16. rooch 3

17. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Cattlemans in Harrogate do a 96oz steak challenge. A 72oz steak and then chips, onion rings, salad etc to make up the rest. Takes some bloody doing. Kid from Durham managed it in 17 minutes which in my opinion is bloody good going. Whether he actually tasted it or not I'm not so sure.

Whittylad, Makemstine Roger and Saf like this.
  18. rooch 3

That’s a 42oz one

Attached Files:

Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.
  19. rooch 3

I bet he couldn’t crap for a week. I feel ill thinking of it<laugh>

Makemstine Roger, RTB and Gil T Azell like this.
  20. rooch 3

My favourite dish at the moment is a veggie dish with tomatoes garlic onions aubergine potatoes feta and halloumi cooked in Rose Harrisa. I could eat it every day.I forgot to take a photo before I ate it<laugh>

Attached Files:

Makemstine Roger likes this.