1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ferrari: Team Thread

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by TopClass, Feb 16, 2022.

1. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I would have though most teams would have done something similar. The old wings had pylons to connect to the nose so if the wing was broken they could keep the nose and just bolt a new one on to the pylons. I expected the teams to come up with something similar otherwise damaging a wing would be a huge cost as it would be a new nose as well!
    Good that the info is coming out.

2. moreinjuredthanowen

so I agree, this car is bascially not final either.

The top of side pods hints at an "aston" style coolant system yet the side of the pod is basically vertical with zero features I would expect Ferrari are basically hiding all of that "stuff" aston have done on thier car

ched999uk likes this.
  3. ched999uk

I'm wondering if those 'cooling vents' are actually aero devices to either detach drag or some how help rear downforce?

Big Ern likes this.
  4. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

I agree that the straight sides are odd and might indicate this is not the final design, but they haven't hidden the donut shaped profile of the top of the sidepod which is very unusual and points to quite a radical concept for the airflow at the top of the sidepod. Odd that they wouldn't disguise that too.

5. moreinjuredthanowen

theres something funny about that air intake.

Is it me or is it a box with a triangle cut out.

please log in to view this image

This image actually looks either an earlier render or whatever but this actually shows where the venting on the side boxes actually dishes down (maybe) but the air intake is flanked by some vanes of some kind. this is shown up better in the video they released. Its like they want to keep air in board along the top of the side pods and funnel it down the back of the car.

This suggests they've found a little area there to mess with the air.

6. eddie_squidd

I've got to say I'm loving the variety in the designs we have seen so far. In time they will converge on the same agreed optimums but for now there's all sorts going on. Can't wait to see who's got it right.

7. moreinjuredthanowen

the ferrari nose again is different to other teams.

Astons seems to want to funnel clean air under the center section to the under tray so is quite loaded on the outer portion of the allowed window

The williams on the other hand looks to be a very centre loaded affair with a drop off on the outside

this ferrari wing seems to want all of the allowed window lol. they are for sure looking to hedge bets here.

one approach to the front of car is going to work better than the other.

8. moreinjuredthanowen

Just my opinion but moving all your cooling do-dads is harder than stealing visible floor elements?

This concept they have shown indicates a similar cooling system to aston but quite different than williams and alpine, in terms of layout at least so ferrari are doing something with the air over that zone and williams something very different.

they bascially made a huge deal out of the area in their video but only showed this on the side

upload_2022-2-17_16-13-25.png

if someone can explain how that lovely panel gap line is final or how that floor actually works with picking up any air i'd love to know.

IMO this is all about how the air interacts with the ground effect under floor and this boxy design will be surprising if its on the second test.

9. moreinjuredthanowen

in this image we can see a clar joint line where the front of pod might be final (wing mirror supports etc) and then the who rest of the panels COUD be magically different very soon.

10. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I thought that when I first saw them on the Aston.

ched999uk likes this.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

The aston pods suggest a very shallow angle of radiator, almost horizontal as the body is massively cut in under so the air has to go somewhere. Though i'm sure there must be a lot of air disruptions caused by these vents.

It'd be hilarious if all the fia work was undone by a few slats and cars couldn't pass.

ched999uk and Big Ern like this.
  12. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

It really is a cracker and really does look like a race car. Shame it will never have the sound of the v12 to go along with it's looks, but boy I hope this thing performs this season. It's stunning!

TopClass likes this.
  13. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

14. SgtBhaji

15. SgtBhaji

With the variety in some of these cars, I am now fuming that we won't get coverage from the first test. It makes no sense!

ched999uk likes this.
  16. eddie_squidd

What I love is that what we are seeing now is how the various designers have interpreted the rules and the design brief, not what they will have subsequently copied from each other or learned on the track. This iteration of cars will never be as diverse and interesting again as it is right now.

SgtBhaji and ched999uk like this.
  17. ched999uk

That's exactly why I want to see the cars on the track asap!!! Not wait for the second test! I am surprised the teams agreed to this as surely they would like the extra sponsorship air time as all the fans will be so interested to see the cars..... OH have I just justified why the first test is a closed doors event? i.e. the teams want to ensure their cars are not too bad before the fans see the real cars on the track?

It's a real pity we won't see them properly on the track that's just over 7 days away!!!! I'm sure we will see some images of the cars in Barcelona.

18. SgtBhaji

Precisely!

19. SgtBhaji

Btw.... I'm just going to spend the rest of the night looking at this car.

After all these years, I can maybe feel a profile pic change coming on. :)

TopClass and eddie_squidd like this.
  20. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member