1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

FAO Sissoko

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lovearsenalcock, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

When we purchased you on deadline day a few years back for 30 million in the last hour of the transfer window...we were like <yikes>. You struggled to get going, it became the norm to blame you for everything. Oh how we mocked you, shook our head in despair at your touch..tried to ship you off to other clubs by creating fake news etc etc

Throughout that period...you carried on training hard...giving it your all for the club. We know this because if it was any other way, Poch would have got rid. You didn’t moan, you didn’t complain about the hostility and you didn’t demand a move. Seems to me like you wanted to make it at Spurs and the hard work is paying off. I’m embarrassed to have doubted you so much but I’m ecstatic that you have turned it around and how!

Well done mate and keep up the good work...a snip at 30 million

:emoticon-0159-musicOhh Moussa Sissoko
    Ohhh Moussa Sissoko:emoticon-0159-music

Tilly'sowner, Roo, Spurf and 11 others like this.
  2. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Not all of us doubted you Moose. We had to put up with a few. frowns when we suggested that you were the MoM on a couple of occasions last season, but you have proved a few of us right. Keep it up mate. COYS. Goons next up, a chance to become a Tottenham legend.

3. To be fair, I think quite a few of us had already moved on from the friendly ‘OMG, NO!’ position to acknowledging his effort and attitude but also aware of his failings.
    His reformation this season, especially in the last month, has been extraordinary and says a lot for both him and the coaching staff. I cannot recall any such incredible turn around in performance in such a short space of time. Confidence must play a huge part and Poch has never ever lost faith in him.

He would certainly be a ‘first name on the teamsheet’ for me right now and long may it continue <cheers>

4. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

I was one of the few who saw some sense in the signing at the time, even though he was overpriced, but I too have been disappointed with his performances to varying degrees, pretty much since he donned the shirt until very recently. Where was the Sissoko that battered us in that game against Newcastle?!?

How he has come on in the last few games has been eye opening. Finally showing his worth. I hope the momentum continues and we see even more quality from him in future.

It says a lot about his character, and also about Pochettino as a manager.

Imagine Dier and Sissoko, making Kovacic, Jorginho and Kante look absolutely ordinary by comparison. Love it!

I imagine this would be a strong plus if I were a player considering joining the team, knowing how much of an improvement one can make at Spurs.

Sissoko, I salute you. <applause>

5. LockStock

Imagine a Sissoko winner. I mean any winner would be good, but that would be f-ing sweet. <laugh>

6. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

I'm one who thought he was a good signing, despite the high fee. Needless to say, I had been disappointed with him but recognised he was not getting enough chances to play regularly and that he was not played in his preferred central position. But his attitude was spot on, almost brilliant. He kept at it, trained hard and had the right attitude in that he wanted to stay and fight for his place without moaning to the media.

Well done the man. You're on the way to becoming a true Spurs legend and I hope you will continue to get many more chances to stake your claim to a regular starting role in the team.

7. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I thought he was a terrible signing at the time, mainly due to the questions about his attitude and application.
    The Geordies claimed that he was lazy, workshy and only interested in the big games.
    I agreed with them completely, based on what I'd seen from him in a black and white shirt.

Where's that Sissoko gone? He's been the complete opposite for us during his time at the club.
    Question his ability and first touch all you like, but he works his arse off and does whatever job he's given.
    Now that he's being tasked with a role that exploits his athleticism and physicality, he's really shining.
    He was everywhere against Chelsea.

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Said last year when someone made a thread quesitoning whether we should keep or bin him that he'd earned his place in the squad.

Must admit I never imagined Sissoko being able to hit this sort of form though, been a real joy to watch and I hope it continues, we really need it too as well as we're so light at CM at the moment.

9. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Amazing what some confidence can do, he`s been vital the last few weeks and now looks a different player, he is in fine form and long may it continue.

Some players just need a run in the team in their preferred position and the support of the fans. I`ve never understood fans ridiculing struggling players, criticize them for playing poorly if they want, but some of the comments regarding Sissoko I have seen here and there have been way over the top, any player who pulls on the shirt deserves support.

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If someone's playing **** and still getting picked, then it's the manager's fault.

11. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Or the sponsors, in the case of internationals

12. LockStock

He is stepping up. Love this. Pochettino is a great manager.

13. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

Just a thought... but what if the club had granted Janssen the same time and patience to grow as Sissoko had enjoyed. One wonders...

Case in point. Here's a guy (Sissoko) we paid £30m for and the majority of us fans have to admit, we wrote him off, with many saying they never want to see him in a Spurs shirt again. 2.5 years later, we love him and now see him as a regular first teamer who has stepped up, got his head down and improved.

Janssen on the other hand got one season, and was cast aside. Vinny didn't start many games but when he did, he put in the effort and worked hard, even if he wasn't looking sharp or likely to score. He needed time and that second season to settle in and find his feet. He was never given that chance. It was a waste of a young talent and I still to this day do not understand why we packed him off abroad and replaced him with Llorente.

Nando who's now in his second season with us, hasn't offered us much and isn't getting any younger. If he gets 10 goals this season, it will be a miracle yet he's immune from the chop.

Let's be honest. Janssen was never given a chance to blossom and was judged on goals alone. One season is not enough in this league. I'm sure we can think of many players at other clubs who are showing improved form after a slow first season, and not just Moussa.

Oh, what might have been...

The Changing Man likes this.
  14. deedub93

Janssen is not a versatile as Moose. It would have been difficult to play him in 20 matches .a season.
    Notwithstanding the above, he was given the option to go on loan to Brighton but turned it down, so he burnt his own bridges really.

15. yossarian

yossarian Well-Known Member

A show of contrition from the player and should have been forgiven.

16. deedub93

But if he had gone to Brighton he would have played in a very organised Chris Hughton team, understood his role and probably got up to Premier league speed. The loan was hand picked for him and he refused to buy-in. In life you pay your money and make your choices. He chose a sub-standard league where he might shine, but not learn.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  17. LockStock

Janssen seemingly didn't trust Pochettino's judgement. It's unfortunate. We know that Pochettino has no qualms about sidelining players when they go against the script and fail to tow the line.

Rose is a great example of this also. He is back in the frame now because he has seemingly gotten is head straight and back down to the work as prescribed by Pochettino.

Maybe Janssen will see a similar light and find a way back. I hope so.

deedub93 likes this.
  18. deedub93

Harry Kane had some handpicked loan moves, places where he had to increase his physical presence and work his balls off. Fekking Millwall for fek sake. Look at him now.

He also learnt to be a team player, I read a piece on him saying that if they were relegated, half the team would lose their jobs and not be able to pay the mortgage. Reality makes one pretty honest.

19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

There’s just one main problem for Janssen... Harry Kane.

So long as he’s breathing and not injured, no striker at Tottenham will ever get sufficient game time to prove themselves.

With Big Mouss, he’s managed to take advantage of a rare “third chance” if you like in that in his 3rd season at the club, Dembele is now a shadow of the player he was once was and is always injured, while Winks has also picked up a lot of injuries meaning he’s never been able to get a solid rhythm going himself, so this has all paved the way for Sissoko to get a prolonged run in the side and he’s not looked back so far.

Janssen should’ve taken the Brighton loan that the club supposedly wanted him too, he’d have built up experience in the Prem and then had he impressed, could’ve given Poch something to think about, instead he went Turkey, done ‘ok’ but then picked up an injury that’s kept him out for nearly a year. Didn’t really do himself any favours.

humanbeingincroydon and deedub93 like this.
  20. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Janssen perhaps a victim of circumstance as well as his own misjudgement. It's a shame because there looked a half-decent player in him with a good touch and a knack of bringing others into the game. Think he could have stood to have lost a bit of timber and concentrated more on his own game for a bit and we might have really seen something from him - though like others say being number 2 to Harry Kane is a thankless task for him.

Recent events have made me change my tack on Sissoko and I am even starting to believe in Aurier. I never thought I would type that.