1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 innovation - genius, craziness, and everything in between

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Mr.B, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

Inspired by a post from Top Class https://not606.com/threads/individual-team-threads.398011/
    And a reply by DH Canary https://not606.com/threads/individual-team-threads.398011/#post-15478381

I thought I'd see how this one goes - a thread to discuss innovation in F1 design/engineering.
    Off the top of my head I'm thinking this could include chat about
    • innovation in years gone by?
    • current and future design solutions?
    With the 2022 cars only a couple of months away, we can expect to see some interesting designs and if past history is anything to go by, someone will knock it out of the park, while others might struggle to get out of the pits.

2. moreinjuredthanowen

The thing is the engines are not really changing so reliability is not a factor is it?

ferrari as saying they've changed their ICU to "optimise" the new fuel requirement and address power. so cheating again eh? :bandit: but the say the hybrid sections are not that changed bar sensors added as required by regs.

I don't really see a lot of engines blowing?

The tyres for me are a massive change as they have much shorter sidewall so suspension is going to be a major major part of the innovation. Teams are going to have to deal with that somehow and imo someone will come up with something.

the aero is all about under car innovation and the body parts sticking out are removed. Newey is the guy here.

I bet someone has a go at using the wheel covers to generate downforce and defeat the clean air requirement that is driving their addition.

most of all the rear wing design is something i'm sure people will be looking at trying to subvert so its harder follow thier car.

3. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member