1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ex Spur thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah Troy returned about 18 months ago IIRC but got the Pastoral role in the summer during the academy reshuffle when Matty Taylor, Mason and the other fella whose name I can't remember joined the setup.

2. perrymanlegend

perrymanlegend Well-Known Member

Jake Livermore scored for west Brom in their 2-0 win over Preston today. Been through some tough times but good to see him doing well.

3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Decent finish with his wrong foot.

He's having a very good season, by all accounts. Bilic raved about him the other day, calling him a "proper captain".
    https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp.../how-slaven-bilic-brilliantly-summed-17802006
    Played every league game bar one this season, which was due to a suspension. Top of the league by 7 points.

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

6. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

His Southend record now reads
    Played 22 won 3 Drew 5 Lost 14
    13% win rate
    63% loss rate

<cheers>

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

9. humanbeingincroydon

10. humanbeingincroydon

11. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

12. humanbeingincroydon

He's already played a couple of full matches

...and, yes, that is the same Bojan Krkic who used to play for Barca (or, you know, Stoke)

13. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Who isn't a designated player, apparently. Can't be getting paid that much money, which seems bizarre.
    Also, Fanni. :emoticon-0136-giggl Sorry. I swear Charlton just sign defenders for their names.

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Dembele’s retired :(. Cited injuries and fitness as his reasoning. Man he was a special player.

Left on the Shelf likes this.
  15. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Dembele...my favourite player since Steve Perryman.
    Understated...did not court publicity and left everything on the pitch.
    And a massively underrated player by non spurs fans.

When we played Arsenal at Wembley in Feb 2018 he absolutely bullied them and wembley shook to us singing his name.
    It was a great day out for me and both my girls...and a brilliant memory.
    <applause><applause><applause><applause>

16. humanbeingincroydon

Retired from international football, not retired from football

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

That’ll teach me for sharing my cousin’s text.

18. humanbeingincroydon

For clarification purposes

Naturally, the Twitter/Reddit crowd ignored context and went straight for the screamiest version of the story...

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  19. humanbeingincroydon

So some r/coys user is summarising Lee Young-pyo's autobiography, and here's what he's provided

Part One

I life to share what I like to be the most important word in my life. "Hard Work." What I notice from younger crowd is that they don't believe hard work pays off or hard work is meaningless unless it is fated. I'll share how hard work became part of my life.

When I was in kid, I loved soccer. As I was playing, i noticed... to enjoy more, i need to get better, and to get better... I need to practice. and my favorite thing about soccer was dribbling. So throughout middle school, I dribbled every day. No one could take the ball from me afterwards.

when i started going in to high school, I wanted to win the ball between me and the player. Those "50/50" balls. I thought how can i move my feet quicker? how can i react faster? I decided I should jump rope. I decided to do 1000 double jumps. When I first started, I could not do it at once. So i broke it down to 100 times then rest. But after 2 years, I was able to do 1000 double jumps in one go. and all 50/50 ball became mine.

Then I realized that you needed stamina to play full game. I thought to myself, how can I get more stamina? Right..I can run in the mountains. but i had morning practice with the team, then school, then afternoon practice with team, then i did jump rope at night. Where can I find the time? I just woke up earlier to exercise before everyone else.

I attended KunKook University. At the time, we had one of the best team in that generation. 6 players were national representative, and 5 were my friends, and 1 was even my junior. But...while I was captain, but i wasn't chosen as representative. When we were playing I felt like I had no authority to tell these guys how to play the game.

time came and it was the winter. Many guys do personal practice during summers, but in fall and winter, I was the only one in the field training . As I was training, I thought to myself..."for the past 10 years, I been training more than others, but these guys who are resting and watching tv were chosen as national representative, while I wasn't. What does these 10 years of hard work suppose to mean?"

then I said to myself...

" I don't know about anything else...but soccer....it isn't something you can accomplish just because you work hard, you need talent. It wasn't meant for me. It doesn't matter how hard I work because I don't have the talent."

Once this thought over came...I truly felt, for the first time, t "despair" in my life. And in that cold harsh winter, my most sincere tear came out from depth of my soul.

But in two weeks, There was a test for the Olympic team. The following week, I was chosen as left-back for Korean Olympic team. Then exactly 3 months later, I became national Representative, then when I subbed in for the first time , until my retirement of 2011...I have never given up my position.

you'll live a life where you will work hard and that will follow with certain pain. It is natural. sometimes it will be physical, sometimes mental and sometimes emotional. But always remember that pain that comes with hard work will be easier to endure than the pain of letting go of your dream.

Part Two

• People ask me how to succeed as a soccer player. There is so many variable that its hard to narrow it down. What I can say for sure is that the best way to fail is not to give it all. The answer is always simple. Whoever you consider your competition, outwork him.

• when you give your all, you will inevitable questions yourself with following premise "is it my talent or is it my hard work? Personally, I believe that if you give you all of yourself to a discipline for 10 years, you'll be good enough to be recognized by the experts in your field.

• Lot of people, especially the young guys, search in life trying to find what they are good at. In the end, their core intention is "What is the minimum amount of effort I could put in to maximize my talent?" This is the wrong approach. People who search this way often find they found nothing by their 30s. And they still try to find that elusive talent in theirs 40s 50s. You should focus on what you want to be good at and maximize your time in that field and not worry about the outcome.

• When I was young, I played soccer because I loved dribbling. I would dribble everyday. I wouldn't even pass to others. I would wait until there were 2 or 3 people around me before I started to dribble, just to shake them. Looking back, I am sure i was someone that people hated to be teamed up with. The secret to being a good player? Its simple. Nothing moves faster than the ball. A good player moves the ball fast, a great player moves the ball faster, the best player moves the fastest. So pass.

• Confidence...doesn't come just because you say "i'm good" and repeat it. It comes from two source. One, when you have the skills. Two, when you know you put in enough time.

• You improve the most when you work on your personal training. You do improve during team practices and games, but I often found when you work by yourself on your weakness and strength...thats when you improve the most. I wanted to always win 50'50 ball so I did 1000 double jump with jump rope. In 2 years, my jump rope broke twice. When you do double jumps, the rope doesn't touch the ground, but while i was getting my breathe back, i would do single jumps. The grind between the ground and the rope was so much that it snapped off. and 2nd time it broke off was because the friction between the handle and the rope was so much that it snapped off. Even now, i still remember the feeling of that day knowing that what I put into practice was definitely showing. It had deeply affected me.

• Things like speed...i believe there are ceilings, but stamina and endurance are boundless. Its often the first thing you notice when you practice and the first thing you notice when you stop. People often ask me how to split time between stamina training and soccer training. I always tell them stamina is soccer training.

• During Guss Hidink's era, i was shocked to hear what the coach had to say about the korean soccer. That we were technically proficient, but mentally weak. Often Asians were shown their "samurai spirit' by getting the out of bound ball with sliding tackles, or coming back onto field after stopping blood cut or broken bones while our problem was lack of technically proficient like the Europeans. Hidink's genius was to change our perception of what actually constitute mental strength. Having mental strength is giving all in the field at your skill level without waiver. Not being scared playing off stronger players, or loosening when playing weaker players. Always be able to display 100% of your skills.

• Don't focus on height. I am a very lean players and I played in European league where i was up against tall players, but i never thought my height was disadvantageous. Sometimes you'll see very technically brilliant tall players in europe. They didn't focus on getting taller, they focused on skills and eventually the height helped them.

• When I was starting out as a pro, there was something I never understood. A lot of people think the difference between the starting player and the bench player is huge. But in terms of skills, there isn't that huge of a gap. If there is a 100 skills a person should learn, player A might know 51, while player B know 49. So how big of a difference in salary do you think there should be? Let say Player B makes 300K, you would logically assume player A should make 350K? 400? maybe half a mill in a big league, but I often found the gap is 10X, 20X, sometimes 100x in a big league, How can this be?

• Think about a paper. Once folded, its double in size, but its only slightly bigger. What if that doubles. then double again....if a paper if .1 mm think, by 50th, mathematically, 111 million kilometer. So if you compare 49 to 51. although the gap is "slight" that turning point makes it almost unfathomable to even approach. Because I realized the power of hard work early on, when i was told to do 10 push ups, i did 11, run 1 lap, then I did 2. kick 10 times, i did 11. That little gap between player A and B is "small" but the amount it takes to get the difference is quiet enormous.

paultheplug and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Can we bring him back as a coach?

Left on the Shelf likes this.