1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

England U21's Tonight

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by CanarySpurs, Oct 12, 2012.

1. CanarySpurs

CanarySpurs Active Member

I was present at the England U21 game tonight at Carrow Road where several Spurs players played a part in the 1-0 win against Serbia U21.

Adam Smith - Looked assured throughout, made some good runs forward as well as some vital clearances. Was caught out being too high up the pitch a couple of times but recovered sufficiently.

Steven Caulker - Playing at the heart of the defence with Craig Dawson, he was commanding - looking like future captain material for sure. Looked good in the air as well as being comfortable on the ball.

Andros Townsend - The young winger didn't start, but came on mid way through the second half. His job was mainly defensive as England looked to protect their 1-0 lead, but made some good interceptions. Few decent runs forward too, that ultimately came to nothing though.

Not sure if anyone really minds about Danny Rose anymore (he's obviously on loan at Sunderland - is there a buy clause in that?) but I'll say something quickly. He was one of the best players on the pitch in my view, made some surging runs forward, linking well with Sterling and then Townsend. His job was less defensive due to England's dominance, which probably suited Rose due to the fact he used to be a winger/midfielder.

Any other questions about other players you might be interested in who played tonight then just say, C Dawson looked good, as did Tom Ince.

2. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I've got a question, who were we playing? :p

Thanks for the info though, were tickets cheap?

3. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

Cheers for the report, always good to hear from someone who watched the game "live".

I watched it on ESPN and was pleased we take an advantage into the 2nd leg because I think it might get physical over there.

4. CanarySpurs

Just noticed I didn't include that, edited it now! <laugh> and tickets were £10 for adults so pretty good.

5. CanarySpurs

I think you might be right, some of their lads were huge, and not afraid to put themselves about it <ok>

6. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

You got tickets for the COC game ?? Should be a good night, I always enjoy going to Carrow Road, it's a proper football ground.

7. CanarySpurs

Not as of yet, but I hope to. As I'm not a member I have to wait for general sale unless I want to go with my dad but would rather go with my mates

Only problem tonight was there was no atmosphere at all - had a bunch of screaming pre-teenage girls who pretty much ruined the game with their shrill shouts. At least at my seat at the Lane I sit around respectable people! <laugh>

8. Ghoddle10

Ghoddle10 Active Member

I thought all the spurs players played well, including Rose

9. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Serbia.

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Highlights:

[video=youtube;4qHUrhejYKU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qHUrhejYKU[/video]

11. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Are Spurs just giving up on Rose (LB or other) ??

The usual back four injury plague has really shown the reality of not having
    dedicated LB cover for BAE. And then the debacle over that Fryers kid.

Verty needs to be focussing on CB.
    We need Naughton to be making Walker raise his game.

BAE is a shoe-in (good form or bad) , which IMHO is not healthy.

12. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Rose wanted and needed regular football

13. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It was pretty typical of our luck that Rose sat on the bench for most of last season, but wasn't available when we needed him.
    Started the season injured, if I remember right, then got suspended for the end of it.
    Should've been loaned out and a utility player brought in as cover.

Naughton and Assou-Ekotto should be back soon, so we'll have plenty of competition for places at the back.
    It wouldn't surprise me to see Vertonghen continuing in his current role for a while, to give our Cameroonian full-back time to get back up to speed.
    Caulker and Gallas have both performed very well while the Belgian's been playing in the role that his country use him in.

14. CanarySpurs

I think Redknapp's lack of rotation at the LB spot annoyed him slightly, would like to have him here as cover/competition for Assou Ekotto but I can understand his frustations.

On that note, what has happened to Fryers? Can't remember seeing him on a team sheet - has he officially signed?

15. The RDBD

"Rose wanted and needed regular football"

No problem with that.

Just that with the usual back four injuries + AVB seeming to be selecting on a more
    meritocratic basis + possibly taking the UEFA/League Cup tournaments a bit more
    seriously, there should be sufficient games to keep all the squad ticking over nicely.

And would prefer serious competition for all places.
    BAE is too often a shoe-in. And Walker too at the moment (even though IMHO his
    form has not been good to date) .

16. The RDBD

"On that note, what has happened to Fryers? Can't remember seeing him on a team sheet - has he officially signed?"

Went to Liege. As I said, an apparent debacle.
    And some Spurs insiders weren't that impressed with him technically either.

17. CanarySpurs

Ahh yes I remember now, cheers <ok>

18. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I can honestly see Smith getting some games this season, if Walker continues to be a liability at right back.

19. CanarySpurs

Smith looked good to me on Friday both defending and going forward so I'd have no problem with that <ok>

20. The RDBD

Does anyone think the lineup the other day is proof that the Academy/kids setup is
    starting to deliver now ??

I cannot recall a time when more than decent kid came thru together into the seniors at
    the same time since round about Mark Falco, Micky Hazard etc in the early 80s.