1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread England matches

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Libby, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

If we somehow reach the QF's though everyone will come out of the woodwork... Just like league cup last year <ok>

2. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

You gee up the players by force of your personality. Clough and Venables (and Shankly and Ferguson and Mourinho) would have had the players playing their way very quickly - they generally have a 2 year period leading up to a tournament, so not exactly straight away. Need a Captain Mainwaring, not a Sergeant Wilson type

And the difference between a working system and tactics is not that clear to me?

3. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Southgate has the charisma of a dead fish

We'll qualify and then make a pigs ear of the tournament #standard #couldntgivelessofafuck

HRH Custard VC likes this.
  4. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Should have gone all out to get Fergie imho. It's a part time job...we could pick an England squad and only be out by a few players...AF would have sorted the team out, knows the PL and a legendary winner. Not saying he would have taken it but England should have done everything to tempt him and you just know this squad would be performing a few levels up already

FosseFilberto likes this.
  5. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

He turned it down twice. No chance he'd have ever taken it, he's a proud Sweatie

Libby and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Great manager but a Scot managing England is risky business. I think he actually turned it down at one point didn't he?

7. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Twice, I hear.

8. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Tactics are fluid and change game to game - how you set up your personnel to counter specific threats, that sort of thing. A system is a style of play - a philosophy even - that a squad of players buy into.

I don't believe that a manager with a "strong personality" would get instant results with any bunch of players not used to playing together, personally. Leadership qualities are important, but not as important as having a clear vision about how England should be trying to play the game.

That has to begin at youth level, & there has to be continuity. Spain, Germany, Italy, they all seem to have that. England has lacked it for years, & appointing a charismatic manager to run the first team won't change that imo.

I would say we need to deal with pur coaching problem, not a manager problem.

Libby and SpursDisciple like this.