1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Drifters next

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Southcoastoldgaffer, Dec 2, 2022.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

We’ve scored the most goals in the league so there’s not a lot of gains to be made in that department. We can try to keep more clean sheets but then will we create so many chances? This is always the dilemma. The only thing we can do is keep working on all aspects of our game. Biggest concern right now is our fitness coaching.

2. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Central midfield worries me.we have really missed lee Evans since his injury. Humphrys has done well but it seemed a game too far for him this evening and he looked in need of a rest, the only problem is that all the other central midfielders are injured. If we get to January in a similar position that we’re in now, think we’ll strengthen enough to get 1 of the 2 automatic spots. No bothered if Sheff Wed win the league, I will happily take 2nd right now

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

We don’t exactly have a relentless schedule. If players aren’t fit to play the games at the moment it’s the fitness coaching that’s my biggest concern.

4. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

That was perhaps the most sickening result for many months. My main points:

Such a promising start and should have scored more in that period.
    We dominated and played our fluent style and had several good chances - not taken.
    I am still wondering what Ladapo offers - no pace, no dynamism, at times he holds the ball, and happens to be in right place to score. Still not that impressed by Jackson, apart from one nice dribble out of defense.
    Vey impressed by the lad Humphreys and such a great potential for the club.

Seems clear to me that most teams set out to defend heroically and then play physical to spoil our creativity and flow. It has worked too often sadly.
    The ref was a disgrace. They were taking chunks out of us. Why Rooney wasnt red carded I never know.

2nd half we allowed them to get back in it, and to be fair they played some good stuff.
    Our wayward passing and conceding possession time and time again was woeful.
    No blame on Humph but others, senior players, not at their best last night.

After excellent 2 months of fine defensive performances, the last 4 games, cracks have appeared.
    As others have said, we must learn to kill games off.

Shocking way to finish a game, but all is not lost.

If we can just get to Xmas more or less in tact, then new recruits to strengthen squad will play a big part in the 2nd half of season. IMO deffo another striker, if not 2, a midfield, as we missed Evans and Ball to come on and steady the ship in 2nd half.

A long way to go and I have faith in the Club and manager. Top 3 at Xmas will be a good springboard.

Ah, some good news, I see Sheffield dropped 2 points today!

Still no 2 spot.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Redruth likes this.
  5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

There we go - we’re a point closer to the title now! COYB!

6. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

As you were,but what if......?

The home games against Plymouth and Wednesday are going to be crucial.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Southcoastoldgaffer and Redruth like this.
  7. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

To be honest, there is too much Kmc love on here, all is not Rosy, he is not the messiah, i really like him but i have mahoosive reservations

8. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

As for Wolfy, Chaplin, Ladapo, Jackass ....sooooo overated

fieldmarshall likes this.
  9. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

How many times is this going to happen ? we are leading then into the second half we concede midfield and get deeper and deeper towards our goal, this usually coincides with our subs coming on in numbers completely altering the balance of a side that was dominant, with half the points weve given away from winning positions this season we should be walking this league, sort it out McK.
    Our problem is we dont score enough goals from the chances we create so we desperately need a quality striker, not someone who is okayish with his feet but hopeless with his head, or someone who supposedly has pace to burn but has a pathetic scoring record, we need a proven striker who gets in where it hurts, bullies defenders, and is as effective in the air as he is with his feet and most importantly scores goals on a regular basis, we await January with interest to see whether we can get the last piece of the puzzle.

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  10. fieldmarshall

Chaplin, Burns, and Harness prior to his injury have not looked anything like as effective as they did a few weeks ago, we really need them to be back to form and quickly.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I don’t think it will be the last piece by any means but you sort of hit the nail on the head there. Gradually the pieces are coming together. McKenna is still learning and we can sign more quality in every area but it’s all moving in the right direction. and next season we’ll finally have a proper pitch!

12. Southcoastoldgaffer

And proper Referees!

13. Bigalreigned

Not comparing him to SBR but things didn't go swimmingly for him in his first few Seasons.Patience is key.

14. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Apparently we're top of the form table so not sure how things aren't going our way. Plus averaging 2.1 points a game over the season so far which over a season would see us promoted in every one of the last 10 seasons mainly in top place.

There's definitely criticisms to be had and I've been one to point them out more than most but after a year in charge after some doubts I definitely feel we're lucky to have McKenna and he's proved himself here to be a very good manager. That being said as a club we are probably the most stable and consistent I have seen us ever, so as a manager he has probably been dealt the luckiest hand I've ever seen.

15. Southcoastoldgaffer

Agree PTC, a year is no time in professional football management! He has learnt a great deal and the Club has been transformed, and for the most part we are all enjoying our football again at Ipswich - tho it can be exasperating on occasion!

We know the weaknesses, the main ones IMO being not to score more goals in our dominant passages of play & seeing games out from winnable positions. And of course our injury list has had a major impact on the stability and centre middle especially. All clubs and players lose a bit of form and fair to say many clubs now read & understand our tactics and set out to spoil them, by hook or by crook.

New recruits in 6 weeks to freshen things up, and a top deadly albeit pricey striker is a must.

Several key players set to come back by the New year too. So I remain optimistic, and we do need to see off Peterborough next Saturday as a starter.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  16. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

And Pompey have done the right thing and lost to wycombe !

17. fieldmarshall

I understand what youre saying but if we dont get promoted this season enthusiasm and optimism might melt away and the crowds also, plus we will certainly lose players to higher placed teams.

18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

This was something that Marcus Evans never understood. Never was there any urgency. I think the owners and McKenna understand this perfectly well and that’s why I expect they’ll behave very differently in January to a Marcus Evans transfer window.

19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Jude Bellingham is showing for England precisely the impact that one player’s quality can have on a team’s fortunes. We need to sign only one or two very high quality players each window.

20. Bigalreigned

Fascinating interview with KMc and the journey he's been on to get him to where he is today.