1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dodged a Bullet here!

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by chien, Dec 9, 2013.

1. chien

chien Member

2. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Amazing isnt it? all these years people have gone on about match fixing abroad - even claiming match fixing when investigations werent even about match fixing - all the while taking the superior route of claiming all would never be dodgy in good old honest Blighty. I think all this shows is its clear it will go on in every single major league where greedy individuals driven by money ply their trade.

3. andy payton's mullet

andy payton's mullet Well-Known Member

What, like in the Italian league? Maybe dj did it to engineer a move to Italy - match fixing is rife over there after all

4. pierredelafranchesca

pierredelafranchesca Well-Known Member

I don't think that the term match fixing is the right terminology for this, I think as with the cricket scandals it need to be referred to as spot fixing, as the allegations are not around fixing the outcomes of matches, as they have been in other countries, but spot fixing certain events to happen during a match

5. bum_chinned_crab

Doesnt stop the British media continually - even to this day - claiming Juventus were stripped of Serie A titles and demoted to Serie B 'for match fixing' despite the fact there wasnt a single element of match fixing or indeed any betting involved.

6. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

In good old honest Blighty match fixing went on at First Division level in the 60's. As posted previously on here my Hull sister -in-law dated David 'Bronco' Layne who along with another 2 players was jailed for match fixing. One match involved Sheffield Wed v Ipswich. This does confirm your last sentence.

7. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

DJ needed the money for his sandwich addiction.

8. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

One of the other six arrested was Ian Goodison.

9. Party Hull!

Party Hull! Well-Known Member

When you see that Sodje lad was boasting that he could get £70k for something as simple as getting a yellow card, you can see why players have done it.

I think this could be the tip of a very large iceberg.

10. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Bookies should stop offering odds on things like first yellow, first throw in etc. it's just asking for these things to happen and it's them that will be losing out. Take away the prize and it just won't happen.

On a slightly different note, a few months ago I noticed one of the bookies was offering odds on a game between 2 local villages in the FA trophy. I know a couple of lads who used to play for this village (more like giant council estate where they chuck all the degenerates) they'd do anything for an extra quid or two. One was a lifelong dole dosser and contraband merchant, the other would rent his own mother out if he pocketed a tenner for it himself. Offering odds on these games is madness I've absolutely no doubt these people would bet on themselves to lose and throw the game on purpose.

11. chien

chien Member

I Really liked him too <wah>

12. Chilton's Hundreds

Chilton's Hundreds Well-Known Member

The problem isn't in this country - it's the Asian betting markets. They will bet on anything....

13. Quill

Quill Bastard

noooooooooooooooooooo

14. bum_chinned_crab

I 100% agree. I cant see how anyone would legitimately bet on these markets. We've already had Matt Le Tissier say he took part in first throw-in betting and kicked the ball stright out from a kick-off. How many times have you watched a kick off where a big floated ball was hit straight out thinking 'what was the point in that?' Well it's pretty obvious what the point was.

15. Amin Yapusi

I've bet on first yellow, and to be booked/sent off any time as well as total bookings. But not often enough to give a **** if they stop it. Total bookings is a good one for any big derby game and booked any time is always a good one to stick on Meyler or Balotelli etc.

16. Chilton's Hundreds

Well then you're one very small part of the problem.

If the market for this type of bet didn't exist then we wouldn't be reading about spot fixing.

17. Amin Yapusi

Yes, but if the governing bodies, or the world government made it illegal to offer these markets to help prevent corruption I doubt there would be much backlash. I'm sure punters would rather have a clean sport to bet on rather than worry if their bets will be beaten by fixed events.

18. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

It was for gold teeth and neck tattoos.

19. bum_chinned_crab

Im not talking about total bookings, there's merit and prior knowledge / skill in betting on that. I also dont see how that could be fixed by 1 or 2 individuals in a match. A time of first throw-in however is completely devoid of worth.

20. Chilton's Hundreds

If the markets for these type of bets are shown to be fixed then your average punter will probably walk away.

The big betting companies might have a twitchy arse today....