1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dean Holden - Head Coach - OFFICIAL!!

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Aug 8, 2020.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

During the last 24 hours the choice of Dean Holden as our new head coach has really given me some deep thoughts, first I was numb with shock at the stupidity of the choice, when I had time to think and the little grey cells got working I realised.

It was nothing to do with Dean Holden that LJ got the poke which created the job vacancy, it was not his fault but LJ has gone now, departed on a different route and I agreed with that decision but we must move on.

It was the Lansdown, Ashton and their fellow board members that fed us rumours, false ambitions, different names that led us all down different trails of hope and glory, they took 5 weeks of due dilligence, they turned down the obvious candidates for their own purposes, it was their decision to give DH a job offer and the week-end to think about it whilst not making an official announcement, very sleazy, what if he was to turn it down.

If he accepts, it's their offer, it's his decision, the choice is made, I have always stated that it's Bristol City FC that I support, not an individual but if it's Holden, then Holden it's got to be, he deserves a chance and he will get my support, if he fails I will expect the board to act swiftly,correctly and remove him.

The Lansdowns and Mark Ashton have totally cocked up but it's their decision,their style, I can't blame Holden, time to move on, get behind him, the players and prepare for the new season.

We really can say we are now all in it together, what will develop next?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    wings-of-a-crow likes this.
  2. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

maybe put out of your misery later today... might be tomorrow .. YIPEEEEEEE I say...[ DH ] …. at least the board will be true to their word of 5 YEARS ago .. a new plan a new start …. …...SO PHASE 2 will commence in September …

3. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Not sure how you can say we are now all in it together Wiz......the fact that there are moans and groans about it from the off........where have I heard that before I wonder..:emoticon-0127-lipss
    I believe it was the media leading us down the garden path regarding names out there....I also believe SL & co didn't see anything in CH that matched our setup and he probably wanted ridiculous wages and I don't believe Gerrard was ever interested, or us in him.....it's been a circus....but that's not new to us is it..
    I predict that if the job is given to Holden and our first 15 games sees us in the bottom third, we could be well looking for another replacement.....
    After saying that, I'm with you Wiz..I hope Holden gives us a great season and one that will take us further than LJ, which should be at least a shout in the playoffs..

4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

So we are going to have a triumvirate, three coaches of varying experience (Mostly lower league), is this a another of Mark Ashton's zany ideas or could it really be the way forward, will it all blow up prior to Christmas as some forecast or is this going to be the road to paradise, we are being told we are going to be prudent, self sufficient and utilise home produced players, sounds interesting.

I don't know what the masses believe but I get the feeling it sounds a bit like the ' Emperor's New Clothes' - However if this is the way forward it will make interesting times, new thinking and different views, it's got to be better than the last set up under LJ which failed but had the same motives.

Anchors away, positive thinking and hope for the best in a weaker Champioship.
    https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/g...stol-city-fans-are-torn-over-arrivals-report/

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  5. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Let’s wait & see , I’ve run out of words to describe how unprofessional their handling of the situation appears , but we won’t really know until the announcements are made , whenever that is

RedorDead and bcfcredandwhite like this.
  6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

The worst thing the board has done is said nothing.
    As I posted on OTIB, even if they’d come out and said ‘sorry but we can’t disclose anything yet because.........’ at least it would acknowledge that we (the fans) are there.
    The way they (mis) handled Korey’s departure was also unprofessional and disrespectful.
    They MUST see all the concern on the various forums but choose to ignore it.
    Not very good for nurturing a healthy relationship with the fans.

AshtonRed likes this.
  7. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

2 examples of the ignorance the suits are giving is Korey Smith telling us the no contract news , they then rush out with a mention on the official forum, what total ignorance to a loyal servant of the club, now the press inform us this morning Dean Holden has accepted his new job offer but total silence, so far from the club.

They don't give a monkeys about the fans, just shell out your money and think yourselves lucky, it's disgraceful.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    AshtonRed and bcfcredandwhite like this.
  8. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I don't even know where to start...…but here goes

My already low opinion of the owner (and the Son) is now well below zero and Mark Ashton is no better. Conceited, unfit, ignorant, uncaring, and out of touch, are words I'd use for all of them, and that's just the polite ones.

I know people who work for, and who have previously worked for Hargreaves/Lansdown in Bristol and they all say what a mean and penny pinching outfit they are. Mind you, you won't become a billionaire by throwing your money around.
    A friend of mine joined them as a Project Manager and found on day 1 that he didn't have basic software tools for the role such as Microsoft Project. He had to go through about 8 layers of management and untold frustration over some 5 weeks to justify why he needed a basic tool to be able to carry out the role they'd appointed him into.

There is an old saying that every blind Pig will eventually find a Truffle. And I guess as we head down the all too predictable 'let's go with the cheap Manager/Head Coach/Yes Man option' that if they continually appoint unqualified, previously failed, and untested staff for a role that could net the football club hundreds of millions of pounds if it was done sensibly and with some real ambition to get to the Prem they will eventually come up with a winner, but we could all be long dead by the time that happens. I cannot believe that the club didn't have better applicants, but seeing the dictatorship they presumably have to work under, then maybe it's a lucky escape for all of them.

I don't blame Holden for wanting the job. Presumably in these uncertain times he has a family to support, but the club have again fecked the supporters over and just why did it take 5 weeks when Holden was already there ?

I'm just glad I no longer have a Season Ticket. I could also sort of understand the senior management thinking had we won all of our games since Johnson was sacked, but we were still pretty poor.

Another fine mess

9. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Holden won't get anything like the fiscal backing Junior received.
    Unless Holden walk's on water he's on a hiding to nothing.
    Employing Junior took some believing but the appointment of Holden beggars belief.

10. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

How many stabs in the back are you able to give a person? Junior must have been the luckiest coach to walk the earth............oh no, he wasn't given the money to spend, that was Ashton..........the only backing LJ had was the time......which he used to keep us in the championship for so long.....let's hope Holden can do at least the same,,,:emoticon-0127-lipss

11. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

From OTIB ~

13. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Announcement coming at 6pm then....

Also I've had a very similar experience with HL @Angelicnumber16. Interviewed there for a role and the process can only be described as shambolic.

14. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

As we wait for the final appointment to be announced it just seems that my opinion of Steve Lansdown is fast disappearing down the toilet never to resurface. As an owner he has the perfect right to do whatever he likes with his money and in all truth he has improved most things Bristol City except where it is most needed and that is in the managerial stakes. I have said many times that successful businessmen like him build their empires by employing the best in their specific field to enhance future growth but I am now believing that working for him could be hell in a bucket. Having control is one thing but the public relations fiasco surrounding yet another embarrassing plunge in to the hiring process makes me wonder why anyone with ambition, be it in the office or out on the pitch, would ever consider Ashton Gate as their preferred destination?

Have Bristol City consigned themselves further down the footballing back waters?:headbang:

15. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I can't make up my mind if this is a step up or down from Junior, the cheap option or a different direction, so much bullshit flying about, they could have told us about this weeks ago, shambolic, I can't wait for 6pm.

16. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I’ll help you Wiz , it’s a step down and the cheap option

17. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I actually agree with this RP. Not for the reason you said it of course but as a statement of expectation I concur.
    You see. Whereas you seem to believe that LJ led a charmed life with ‘uncle Steve’ and his successor will somehow be starved of funding, I think that due to coronavirus and it’s knock-on effects there will be less money floating around for football in general.
    Besides, it’s Mark Ashton who had access to funds, not LJ - but keep partying - don’t let the truth dampen your enjoyment.
    So, yes I agree with your statement.

18. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Regrettably I think the pandemic will affect a lot more clubs going in to the new season, but is it reason enough for us to accept the cheap option?

19. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

As much as I think this is a stupid appointment I find this comment as stupid.
    Everyone knows that there won’t be money to spend on transfers, so to use this as something to have another kick in the bollocks to LJ.
    Even if Pep came in now there won’t be any money for transfers.
    Come on RP let it go with the LJ digs, we are all pissed off at the moment.

20. framptonfrank

framptonfrank Active Member

I’m afraid it’s the reality of the present situation, probably little income through the turnstiles, no bar sales, no food sales, no club shop sales, tighten the seat belts, we be a bumpy ride!