1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by astro, Mar 23, 2020.

1. moreinjuredthanowen

I see starmer is now echoing johnson to "trust" the regulator.

when it comes to medical ethics we need to learn the lessons of the past and be responsible. the regulator needs to show themselves trustworthy (you wouldn't believe the mess in the US that the FDA are in after trump but even before that it was poor)

Once a regulator acts ethically but also proactively (and the manufacturer AND clinical bodies like hospitals etc) in ensuring adverse events actually get recorded and investigated then there can be a sound (albeit long) process of showing safety.

the issue we have is a 10 year process has been condensed to a 1 year process so the trials done can never fully show the impacts. we have approved on a risk based approach where again the benefits outweigh the risks.

the gap between "safe" and this risk based approach is genuinely massive in evidence terms. But largely the early data shows us that its been largely fine. (we hope no long term impacts due to clotting but we can noot tell so cohort studies are a must)

Yes the AZ is a viral vector vaccine so it has to basically enter a cell but the pfizer and moderna ones also need to enter cells and then get replicated . it is the recognition of these harmless spike proteins that occurs and t cells go seek and destroy this is a useful diagram. it is the memory in T and B cells that provide the long term protection and how the variants of covid affect things.

please log in to view this image

I personally think the media should go do the journalism and stop bringing stupid talking heads on to mouth off.

for me there are 3 things to note:

1. Nuremburg code (why do we have ethics in medicine. it is really important to realise where informed consent and ethics really arose)

2. Declaration of helsinki, why do we talk about risk and why we put the patient first

3. History of issues that we need to learn from (and not just drugs but also devices) there are huge amounts of things that lead to trust issues. The case on Tuskegee Syphilis Study for example. why would people of colour trust these predominately white people talking about vaccines.

finally J&J.

I just want to point out 3 things J&J have done to people.

Their current CEO has personal responsibility for their disastrous ASR hip replacement that has nearly 100,000 people implants with risk of severe metal poisoning that bascially looks like dementia and parkinson's.

Add in their transvaginal mesh product that was never safe but launched anyway on top.

then add in a recall of a janssen product for mould (that was a killer)

And finally throw in asbestos in baby power!

I wouldn't trust J&J with anything.

2. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

What Trump did was really dangerous. He didn't want to wait for the expiry of the final 2 month trial time but wanted the vaccine hurried along before the Election, no doubt so he could claim it as a personal success, while simultaneously undermining the credibility of the FDA. Political posturing shouldn't come before the health and safety of millions of people. Again with Biden claiming there was no vaccine available before he took over when 23 million people, including himself, had already been vaccinated. The misinformation and disinformation is astounding.

organic red likes this.
  3. moreinjuredthanowen

I would say that Both isreal and the UK prove on a grand scale how vaccines do work and are a great over all success btw.

the issue is ramming stuff home rather than taking the care needed with people's lives. We do not expect a virus to respect our lives but we expect medical professionals, regulators,companies and governments to.

I'd be quite pleased to see a bottle labeled pfizer or modern when i get to go.

the AZ for me had become a rule britannia flag waving exercise for the past 2 months. Its being used to bash the eu and prove why the eu are bad and we are right to get out.

it ignores the fact that the US and Canada have not exactly thought it amazing. Canada are one of the stickier countries for drugs and stuff. they have restricted AZ to 55+

the issue is the EU

Trump did more. He appointed a croney as head of the Fda who was actually part of the bayer assure scandal and that person then appointed his mate as the fda lawyer to defended cases on the same topic.

Trump also signed his infamous for every one regulation 2 goes thing and that was Carte blanche to go after shortcuts.

4. johnsonsbaby

"Follow the science" while not following the science. The US is in a political mess. I hadn't realised just how much each side hates the other - (and I was taught in English class at school to use the word 'hate' sparingly).

5. moreinjuredthanowen

It is irreconcilable. for people to do what they did in 2016 to elect the guy to avoid clinton was amazing but to do what they did and said this last year was absolutely savage when the rest of the world can see no difference between a scammy democrat and a scammy republican. they are all the same but one side can shout commie and the other rednack racist.

6. johnsonsbaby

Without enlarging on the conversation in general and sticking to the topic, there's outrage atm over there with the illegals being given the vaccine before their own. Humanitarian crisis? Not according to Pelosi who says the situation is "very good unlike the mess Trump left". <doh>

7. moreinjuredthanowen

Classic racists and classic notion american politics.

An "illegal" will sneeze in your proximity just as easy as a "legal"

The same racists were refusing to wear masks or social.distance while they rioted for trump but now are first in the queue.

8. johnsonsbaby

Why do you say racists?

9. moreinjuredthanowen

Btw

Today's headlines.

Risk is same as a long haul flight.

Safer to get a jab than drive to work etc.

Sturgeon falling over herself to say she will take the az.

The real numbers are 19 deaths due to clots and 78 cases btw.

Anyway the main thing is making it sound like it's all perfectly normal.

10. moreinjuredthanowen

Anyone who starts screaming about illegals over there normally has lots of racist Mexican jokes on their Facebook.

It's amazing how many square illegal with latino they seem to like to lock up kids and all that too.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

Also another one. AZ is safer than taking the pill.

12. johnsonsbaby

I'm sure there are plenty without Facebook accounts who are law abiding citizens with good cause for complaints about the unfairness of someone basically jumping the queue for the vaccine.

13. moreinjuredthanowen

Nah, if they are screaming about is the fact that an illegal can even apply when the time for their demographic comes up.

It's a classic dressed up racism. When they say a us citizen they really mean a white person.

They are making it a 1st and 2nd class situation where their birth place (and in some cases not even rhat) entitles one group to get it hut that other group that cuts the grass and washes the floor cant get it as if they apply they are queue jumping.

Its racist as if you are here and debating say ok nurses got it but teachers didn't you might say well the risks are this or that but if I turned round and started saying hang on the poles can **** off home as they would be getting it ahead of me I would be a racist.

14. johnsonsbaby

I don't agree with any of that. :)

15. moreinjuredthanowen

I have no issue with you not agreeing <cheers>

16. johnsonsbaby

Same <cheers>

17. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

That little intercourse made me feel all warm.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  18. moreinjuredthanowen

Moist?

19. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

you have a less jaundiced vision than me it turns out ,
    There was always the worry that because the Govt knew they for once had actually done well they invested so much politically and then wrapped the flag round it they didn't want to accept any bad news . Personally i find more worrying is that some of these clots don't originally have been linked despite the warnings from Europe which to me suggests yet another NHS **** up . However If the published stats are right , & the EMA seem to think so , the AZ effectiveness appears to be higher in real life than in the trial .

20. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

If you like, happy to assist you through the lonely nights.