1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by astro, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

2. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

She was talking bollocks.

The antibody testing carried out so far has included testing many who had no reported symptoms. Having extrapolated the results the latest estimate is that circa 3.5m have had the virus in the U.K.

3. astro

astro Well-Known Member

If I do get sick I'm reporting everyone on here to test and trace

Zanjinho and Diego like this.
  4. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Slight spanner in the works there mate, most of the people gathering on those beaches were not local to the areas so hard to say where any "spike" might arise.

5. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

My contact details are 221B baker Street London if they need to see me :grin:

6. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

A study was done in May by doctors and researchers using data from the 144 local authorities ( the only study done using the actual figures from local authorities) that found at least 19 million people- 29% of the population had already had it. This was before extensive antibody testing was available.

I'm following the science on this and bringing to the discussion what I've read from scientific sources. As always with science for every research finding one thing, there will be a research finding something else. All figures are extrapolated so we'll never know the actual figures not least because there is a significant amount of people who have had the virus and don't even know and they won't appear in any figures anywhere.

THE FOOL likes this.
  7. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

The figure they arrived at was patently flawed. As has been shown now the anti body test is actually available.

8. Zorba

Zorba Well-Known Member

You can't trust the government on this,especially when it was found out when they were taking swabs from throat and nose of one person and they counted it as TWO tests when trying to hit the testing target.

9. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

what figures were they using ?

10. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

I wore it on transport. Some didn't but may have been exempt. Only went into a couple of shops and wore it in one. I didn't wear it in pubs or restaurants as it's hard to eat and drink while wearing one - give it a try <laugh>

johnsonsbaby likes this.

11. johnsonsbaby

Infection rates.

12. johnsonsbaby

If you've found a figure you like then stick with that. I'm continuing to ignore the government put out figures and looking at the more scientifically gathered ones. <ok>

13. astro

astro Well-Known Member

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  14. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I’m not choosing to ‘like’ anything, I’ve just provided the latest figures, that are based on actual anti body testing and the report has been complied by Imperial College, not the Govt.

You’re choosing to believe a guesstimate from months ago, based solely on modelling and no actual anti body testing. If you choose to favour an outdated and now demonstrably flawed conclusion, then you crack on mate.

15. Solid_Air 2

well they obviously misused them as the figures gave nowhere near that rate .

16. johnsonsbaby

That's the difference you see, I'm not believing anything. I'm reporting latest findings from scientific bodies. Heck some of the ones I've put on here even contradict each other. I don't have blind faith in any of the scientific sources I've commented on because as I say all the time, nobody knows what the true figures are. And never will do ..... that's the only thing I believe.

THE FOOL likes this.
  17. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

The one you chose to cite here was from May though, and wasn’t anywhere near the latest one. I replied telling you it was now demonstrably flawed and you told me to carry on liking the Govt figures - when they weren’t Govt figures, meanwhile you’d continue to follow the science. Yet you’re not believing anything, right oh.

18. johnsonsbaby

I wrote the reply about infection rates in haste, I was in the middle of something else and not reading the article properly. That was the wrong answer to your question.

The study was based on local authority and GP figures. The doctor leading the study said "the figures are not perfect, with the number of severely ill patients as a proportion of the total cases being used as a marker for estimates of wider infection". The study claimed that assumptions were made including how long it takes for an infected person to become infectious to other people. Like all other models this one is flawed too. Remember Neil Ferguson's outrageous modelling which the government's early strategy was based on.

As I've said all along there will be huge differences in methodology and modelling, predictions etc. I find it all fascinating and because I don't trust the government figures (ONS) any more than any of the others as they are all best guesses, I have chosen to follow the various scientists who are bringing hope to the situation. My gut instinct is that the virus has spread through a considerable amount of the population and like I said when I entered this particular discussion point, if it hadn't we would be seeing a lot more spikes as people are rushing to get back to normal and that's not the case.

Just out of interest I checked the ONS site for the weekly Covid roundup. One of the things they have published today is that "67% of adults in Great Britain are worried about the effect of Covid19 on their life".
    They achieved this figure from collating the survey answers from 1,424 individuals and 'weighting the results to be a nationally representative sample for Great Britain'. Yes really. Apparently the views of 1,424 people can represent the whole of Great Britain.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    THE FOOL likes this.
  19. Solid_Air 2

The ONS figures are imo the only attempt yet to check the actual infection numbers in the general population as they are doing sweeps of random areas to test for infection . Now obviously there is a huge leap when you extrapolate the figures to the whole country instead of a block of 5 streets (or whatever the area is ) but they are at least trying to get real figures ob current and past infections to try & track exposure where nearly all the others appear just to be using existing positive tests and then extrapolating them .

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  20. johnsonsbaby

Professor Diamond the head of ONS said the figure arrived at for total infections - 3.5m - was calculated by taking the results of tests done on 1,757 people since April 26 which found that 5.4% of them had had the virus. "The possible range of this was between 4.3% and 6.5% - meaning the true figure could be somewhere between 2.36m and 3.57m people ".

PHE (public health England) data based on tests from 7,694 people in May, estimated the figure of infection between 8.5% and 10% of the population.

You can see where this is going can't you. Nobody knows how much of the population has faced the virus. As you say they are doing what they can to come up with figures but imo they are far from the real picture.

THE FOOL likes this.