1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Feb 8, 2020.

1. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Up there for the vaccines though the old twats!

2. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Sorry don't get that? Did I miss something?

3. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Yes it was an ultra-orthodox wedding. I’m not excusing the people involved as they’ll barely acknowledge the law. The chief rabbi has condemned it but there really is not getting through to that community here or elsewhere and I assume it’s the same for the equivalent sects in other religions.

Also nothing to do with government mixed messaging or the government at all this time.

peter1954qpr and Staines R's like this.
  4. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I don't know who are what they are and don't care if they are Jewish, Greek or Martian. The muppets broke the law and what sort of example does it show? While idiots like that are adding to the problems, people like me can't see family or working properly. Utter T22ts.

mapleranger likes this.
  5. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

There was one of their weddings in New York before Christmas attended by thousands, they don't give a shyte but moan when so many die in hospital...

ELLERS likes this.
  6. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Last week I was moved after seeing my nurse friend virtually breakdown on a friends Zoom chat. I then see that BBC report on the covid ward (2 days ago). I had to turn it off because it was getting to me. Watching a nurse in tears tell a wife that her 30yr old husband may not make it through the night was really hard viewing. Maybe if these idiots saw stuff like that we would be in a better place... saying that, some will always break rules?

7. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Yeah, again I’m not excusing it and I’m not having a go at you. Just saying there’s no getting through to this particular group at all so it’s not like a house party or Doris and Edna who walked for 65 minutes rather than 60. If Israel can’t stop this sort of thing happening then I wouldn’t expect local or national government here to have a chance.

8. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Actually, aren't Israel leading the way on vaccination roll outs?

9. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Almost 410,000 1st dose vaccinations done yesterday........amazing job being done by the small army of volunteers and low paid staff and well deserve a massive pat on the back when this is all over.

10. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021

11. Steelmonkey

Guess there will be a similar inquiry down south too...

Covid in Scotland: More than 400 care homes investigated over deaths

please log in to view this image
    IMAGE COPYRIGHTGETTY IMAGES
    A special Crown Office unit set up to probe Covid-linked deaths is investigating cases at 474 care homes in Scotland, the BBC can reveal.

The unit was set up in May to gather information on the circumstances of all deaths in care homes.

Prosecutors will eventually decide if the deaths should be the subject of a fatal accident inquiry or prosecution.

Care homes say the investigation is "disproportionate" and placing a huge burden on overstretched staff.

The Covid-19 Deaths Investigation Team (CDIT) had received 2,242 death reports as of Monday.

The majority of them relate to people who lived in care homes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55753816

12. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

So so worrying.
    New variant as well as being 50% more transmissible it is also 30% more deadly, even though we now have more medicines and treatment.
    This Covid really had got its **** together.

I also heard from a friend a 78 year old colleague who is also is an immunologist, who has volunteered to give blood at weekly intervals since his vaccine 3 weeks ago.....still no neutralising antibodies.

Today is not a good day.
    Virus is still at least 1 or 2 nil up

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  13. Staines R's

I didn’t see the conference Beth, but did the bumbling one give any evidence of these figures of 50% more transferable or 30% more deadly ? I mean if we are taking what he says as gospel then your second point about your colleague becomes less worrying as the headline I’ve just seen on Sky says that “ current evidence continues to show that the current vaccines remain effective against both the old and the new variant”

Genuine question, is it not impossible to really suggest how deadly a variant is, or for that matter any virus is, without knowing the true figure of the amount of people infected ?
    What I mean is, we don’t actually know how truly deadly COVID is in the first place because we don’t know for sure how many people have actually been effected.

Any good news that 410,000 were vaccinated yesterday.

Stroller likes this.
  14. Steelmonkey

Whitty said that for every ten people that died with the old variant, thirteen would now die with the new one....

qprbeth likes this.
  15. Staines R's

Steels....I just don’t get how they can come up with any figures.
    It just isn’t logical and seems just there to frighten the public.

Forgive me if I’m wrong and missing something but it just doesn’t make sense

jeffranger likes this.
  16. Steelmonkey

My bad, it was Vallance not Whitty....video of him going over this in this link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55768627

17. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Obviously bad news, but not quite as scary as it sounds. Firstly, the higher mortality hasn't been confirmed, and even if it is, 13 deaths in 1,000 cases compared to 10 in 1,000 is not a massive increase - unless you're one of the unlucky 13 of course.

Staines R's likes this.
  18. Staines R's

Thanks mate.....makes my point even stronger.
    He states there being no difference in hospital patients mortality (if I understood correctly) and that out of 1000 people who had it all together...then 13 MIGHT die over 10 originally........ Shock headline wise the increase could shout 30% increase but in real terms it’s an increase from a 1% death rate to a 1.3% death rate.

Am I missing something ?

19. Staines R's

You beat me to it

20. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Stainsey you are making me work on a Friday!

So in a limited study ( limited because it's a lot of work ) the scientists identified the strain of virus present in people who died of Covid....then compared it to the strain of virus in admitted patients and in a selection of people with Covid positive test outside in same area.

They found for every 1000 people with old strain 10 people died.
    For every 1000 people with new strain 14 people died.
    They made the assumption which is fair but may not be right...that all these 24 people were treated to the best of the hospitals ability.

I am happy as I can be with the (preliminary ) science here.
    My worry is that we are much better at treating Covid now ..but still increasing numbers are happening.

On the transmissibility, the transmissibility is related to the spread through out the country... Most of people in UK who are testing positive have new variant not old (70:30) I think.
    So in the virus's own little war...new variant is transmitting better than old...and winning it's arms race.
    How is it doing this? There is some evidence it binds stronger to the cells than the old variant..and stays longer and can build up its numbers quicker even in healthy people more than old variant.

What Whitty also said was although he was pretty sure UK old and new variant are both recognised by the vaccine....so good.

There are changes in the SA and Brazilian variants that might make the vaccine less effective.

I know Oxford will be working on this fact and will be able to modify their vaccine quickly... 3 months perhaps

SW Ranger and Steelmonkey like this.