1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Claude Puel - Gone!.............Confirmed.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by A Matter Of Time, May 1, 2017.

1. A Matter Of Time

A Matter Of Time Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Can I just get an understanding of how you feel about Claude Puel? From the outside looking in and judging from the reaction at the final whistle on Saturday, I get the message that many Saints fans either want him to leave or don't feel he's the right man for job.

If that is the case, can you please explain why? It was always going to hard for him to emulate the achievements of Pochettino and Koeman in his first season especially with the loss of key players, so mid-table and reaching the EFL Cup final (where the performance deserved a victory) surely isn't that bad?

Is this perceived resentment towards Puel down to a lack of goals, negative tactics, too much squad rotation or inconsistent results? I've seen enough of Southampton on the TV this season to notice a few things that could be improved, but Saturday's reaction from the crowd seemed a little OTT. Can you please enlighten me?

2. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In short, a lot of our fans are idiots.

3. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

I am currently not a fan of Claude, however, I perceive he hasn't had a fair crack of the whip yet. I have been guilty of doubting each new Manager since Nigels demise, but each have come good after shaky starts, each has gone through rocky patches where our neanderthals started baying for blood, but all have contributed to our progress. Claude has yet to hit any real good form, although the trip to Wembley was a clue to what we can do with him. I am still ready to give him a chance, but I fear it isn't going to happen.

ImpSaint likes this.
  4. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Our fans are spoilt brats?

Archers Road likes this.
  5. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

Harsh, but very accurate

6. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Was the ire directed purely at Puel or was it more at a disappointing performance/result? He has had an uphill battle since he arrived, so Puel's team had to be very good to win people round. I can remember a point last season when people were less than happy with Koeman. We have had some good results this season, but there is a lack of consistency....and a lack of an attractive style. The League Cup matches show that he can produce results combined with good football.

Baby and bathwater comes to mind. He has to be given one more season...and (unless something dramatic happens in the way of a club sale) I'm sure he will.

7. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I think you answered it yourself right there

8. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

Puel is resented by some because some fans claim his football is turgid, we have not scored many goals and he does not have the charisma of some of the previous managers.

However, being without a striker for much of the season after the sale of our two most prolific forwards from last year plus a large number of extra games and a weird fixture list (eight weeks without a home game) has certainly contributed. Koeman went about 11 games last Christmas without winning and there were mutterings about replacing him and we then went on a run and finished sixth.

I think the main problem is that we have been very good at times but we also have been very lethargic in recent games and we only have one striker who seems prolific. I think next season would be where to judge Puel, however it really depends on the players that come and go too, we certainly don't mind selling.

9. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Fan dissatisfaction now being reported in L'Equipe as well as the Echo which, to be honest, has always tended to be critical of Claude Puel. The article in the French newspaper is pretty speculative and doesn't really say much other than the poor recent performances have taken the shine off the Wembley appearance but the report in the video link looks more comprehensive although the French is very difficult to understand. They suggest that the results are poor enough to merit querying that Claude will be in charge next season. Of the tow articles, The Daily Echo one probably sums up my feelings for the current coaching staff with the comments being somewhat conflicting with what seems to be the consensus on this board that he will need next season to demonstrate his true ability. <doh>

10. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Waiting to be enlightened my self. Because he hasn't got the humour of klopp, the passion of conte or reputation of guardiola, there seems to be this constant question mark over him.

Ask the majority of saints fans, they hold Pochettino in high regard (getting past the resentment of him leaving.) He guided us to our then highest position in pl, 8th.

Puel has every chance of matching that and has guided us to a cup final and seen us beat inter.

Think it will just take time and hopefully win the rest of the fans over.

viking saint likes this.

11. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Tell me why you don't think he needs another season (seeing as "without doubt" we'll be relegated if he does). I presume you think you've seen enough this season to make a conclusive judgement?

12. fran-MLs little camera

A strong finish to the season is needed to cement 9th or gain 8th. West Ham are 15th and only 2 points behind us....it is as close as that and our games in hand are tough ones. Finish 8-10th, League Cup Final and some good Europa performances will make this a good season....though (sadly for Claude) that would never convince the lynch mob.

13. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

I'm happy to give Claude another season and don't 'want' him to go by any means.

However, if someone tapped me on the shoulder while I was going about my day later this afternoon and told me Puel would be leaving Saints in the summer, be it by sacking or resignation, I think I'd be totally ambivalent.

I think that's how I can best sum up my feelings. I do think we're in danger of forgetting how well we've had it, although some of the football is mind-numbing.

14. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

I am not 100% convinced by Puel in the long term, but what he has done so far definitely does not merit him leaving at the end of the season. Lets see where we are at Christmas after (hopefully) having a better summer window and much less fixture congestion.

15. Libby

Libby 9-0

Ian, genuine question.

Regarding 'Results have been poor enough'...

What were your expectations for this season, taking into account our poor Summer window?

16. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

I think Puel would be more interesting if we brought in a translator and let him speak French.

17. fran-MLs little camera

Have to agree with DTLW....we have had few matches where we have shone as before. That has been a massive disappointment to me as we have played attractive football throughout the Leihberr years. It may be down to Puel and his style as he plays first not to lose, but we mustn't forget the stars we lost through sale and injury.

18. fran-MLs little camera

Bring back David. Have a French to Spanish translator, then David to translate from Spanish to English. I'd pay to see that....and I miss the sweaters. :)

Munson owns Fosse likes this.
  19. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

That would be amusing, a line of translators.

20. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

What's the deal with our supporters, more like.