1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

City Survival

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Feb 11, 2019.

1. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Some were in our gift, others out of our hands........

2. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

" At the end of the day " perhaps you should accept that your team just isn't good enough for life at the top. That goes for at least three teams every season. There's no shame or disgrace in that.

Supporters seemingly only ever complain when they feel their team were robbed. You never hear them complain when they benefitted from dodgy decisions, thereby robbing their opponents. Which is why dismissing whingeing fans', and their churlish complaints, comes very easy, to me at least.

It's not over yet, but it's getting more difficult.

3. ccfcremotesupport

A valid point, an totally accepted by me at least. In the eyes of many, we weren't good enough to go up last year, but we did.

When you see the estimated value of the various squads, we are the lowest by a long margin. Our £80M (I think that was the estimate, including our loanees) squad shouldn't be on the same park as man city's £1Bn + squad.
    Colin has done a great job to keep us in it going into the last 4 games.

There is an argument that our transfer business should have been better, which I also accept.

Comparing ourselves to Fulham, who apparently were better than us last year though they finished behind us, we should be away behind them. They spent around 4 times what we did in the transfer windows, but here we are, above them again.

Relegated or not, I think we are in a better position as a club now than when Colin arrived. The style of football could be better, but there is harmony in the squad, a good relationship between manager and owner, manager and fans, squad and fans. We're living within our means and tan is converting debt into equity.
    I'm sure there are a lot of clubs who wish they could say the same.:emoticon-0105-wink:

4. LIBERTARIAN

The P.L. is vastly overrated, but shrewd buying of players is a better bet than spending vast sums on someone who may turn out to be a turkey. Part of the problem lies with supporters who now demand that huge fees are paid in an attempt to hang on to PL status. If their Club buys a 'cheaper' player they are up in arms, yet those purchases are the ones that can make the difference. Michu for £2 million being a glaring example. <ok><peacedove>

clingo and ccfcremotesupport like this.
  5. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Wise words indeed from both of you gentlemen.

LIBERTARIAN likes this.
  6. LIBERTARIAN

Just like the old days, clingo. Hope you are in exceptional health. <peacedove>

7. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

I believe that cardiff will survive myself and Brighton will take the last place. I agree that the premiership is overrated and only benefits the Big clubs and those who can splash out £50m - £100m + for players....The premiership has changed a lot even since the Swans had their first season as transfer fees have doubled and trebled in a few cases pushed up by the big clubs.......Until somebody make some radical changes to make it a more level playing field with transfer fees and better refs and officials who are bias towards the big clubs then i dont care if we ever play premiership football again...

LIBERTARIAN likes this.
  8. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Although I dislike it VAR may help to balance the gap between the top teams and the lesser ones.

DragonPhilljack and Oldsparkey like this.
  9. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Said this before and totally agree. VAR will give the officials "nowhere to run, nowhere to ride" (Martha and the Vandellas),

At the moment they are able to hide behind the well used phrase post match that "I didn't see it so I couldn't give it".

10. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Im not convinced. VAR will still see the big clubs get the decisions. Obviously the Chelsea howler is reversed.

Saleh dived yesterday but as Morrison had his arms on him penalty would have stood.

Earlier Morrison is tugged but hes an honest pro and so contines his run and heads over. I bet VAR would have favoured Liverpool. They would have been too scared to give it.

11. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

VAR can't favour the other club nor does give it to Liverpool or anyone else - the ref still decides the decision.

At least he'll be deciding in the full glare of the fans and the media - that's where he'll have no where to hide by just saying he didn't see it.

12. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

I am in favour of VAR as it can level the playing field a little more. The referee will be ever more accountable for bad decisions and that can only be a good thing. Adversely, it could also highlight the less skilled sides even more, as it's likely the bigger clubs will insist they are being impeded every time they enter the opponents box.
    It may also stop the primma-donna from play acting ala Neymar in the world cup. :D

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  13. ccfcremotesupport

VAR will close the gap but not eradicate the problem.
    It will allow the ref to favour the big club with the on field decision as to overturn a decision the error has to be " clear and obvious".

My thinking goes thus.
    Marginal offside to super team, in field decision is goal. VAR is inconclusive so goal stands.
    Marginal offside to micro club, lino gives offside. On field decision no goal.
    VAR is inconclusive so no goal.

The chelski offside would be eradicated, but the marginal decisions like penalties might not.

It would be good to have the officials mikes broadcast so we could hear the thought process. A bit like rugby (I know, I know, but it is Easter so egg chasing in in :emoticon-0105-wink:). They always play the advantage while asking 4th official to check things if they're in doubt, e.g., offside.

14. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Newcastle winning <doh>

15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Never mind - two wins could be enough to keep us up..........<whistle>

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  16. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

Whats the cash out now?

17. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

£4.03 <doh>

I think I'll take it - but then again, you never know......<laugh>

18. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

That much?

19. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

DaiJones likes this.
  20. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

WTF - the cash out has just gone up to £6.59 for no reason......now what do they know?

Are Palace going to throw the game because they hate BHA with a passion? :emoticon-0105-wink: