1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Chronic back ache

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Tigerglenn, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Tigerglenn

Tigerglenn Well-Known Member

I started with a pain in my left hip around Christmas time I thought it would be just the result of 40 years in the construction game. The pain progressively got worse and worse has moved from my left and right hips into my lower back. Trying to see my GP is like trying to get an appointment with the pope. I was passed from pillar to post with appointments with the practices physiotherapist which wasn’t really much help at all. pain progressively got worse over the next week or so I ended up getting back in touch with the doctors who prescribed a strong painkiller over the telephone without seeing me again prescribed a pain killer called Zapain Which worked in masking the the pain but not dealing with the cause just the effect.However after a couple of days of taking these are developed strong mental health issues / problems with breakdowns and anxiety issues.I managed to get another telephone appointment I described my issues and his course of action was to prescribe further drugs to counter act the mental issues. Which I believe is treating the effect and not the cause .I worked out myself that these tablets were playing bloody havoc with my mental health and stopped taking them which I couple of days later I began to feel better in myself but not 100%.I have since been to Spire to see a professor and have X-rays taken which were inconclusive.I than travelled to Leeds on Friday for a MRI scan which was an open scan as I could not deal with the enclosed one and we are awaiting the results.I have had two appointments with a physiatrist to deal with the mental effects of the ,I believe strong painkillers ,and a visit to a chiropractor yesterday (not really sure that did any good as last night was bloody agony).Anyway any one been through Similar could offer advice ,recommendations with local services national health /private I am willing to try anything to try getting through his bloody pain.I have started a little cbd oil but I am a little reluctant to go down that route .

2. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Really feel for you and I think it would be remiss to give any advice as such. I've suffered on and off not with disc issues but muscle spasms which are hugely debilitating but it seems your issues go way beyond that. I went to a pilates lady and she had me doing stretches that killed me initially but have been massively beneficial for me. Hoping you find some relief from the pain and the associated anxiety etc.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  3. Muffinthegoat

Muffinthegoat Well-Known Member

I had lower back problems 18 months ago, saw GP, had x-rays, visited physios and chiropractors and nothing worked. At times I couldn’t stand up. Eventually found https://www.remedialmassagehull.co.uk/ he diagnosed the problem almost immediately and sorted it within two visits with a few more sessions to keep the problem at bay.

4. Red top reader

Red top reader Well-Known Member

I don’t think I can talk about back pain without crying, had it for almost 10 years. Some days it is so bad I can feel it in my nob, apparently my lower discs are worn and rub together, the most debilitating pain I’ve ever had and that includes being almost broken in half with a tackle playing rugby, all one side of me was just one massive bruise but that wasn’t even in the ball park of pain compared to back pain. Sometimes when I cough my legs almost go under and I drop like a stone, mornings are the worst, it’s like you’ve been on a rack for a month. Apart from that everything else is hunky dory… **** getting old !!!!

Saf likes this.
  5. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

Sounds terrible....I feel for you. I know a chap who works at *Ennerdale gym on Fridays and Saturday. His name is Tony. He is a trained chiropractor or whatever they are called. He will be able to offer you advice and any exercises, stretches etc that might reduce the pain and your suffering. He is very good, a great guy and an authority on such things. Good luck mate.

*That's Ennerdale leisure centre. The one along Sutton Road, just over/before the iron bridge.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Edelman likes this.
  6. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

I was getting lower back spasms a while ago after digging up concrete a bit too vigorously, absolutely crippling. I went to a place (not in Hull) which sounds much like where Muff suggested above, I got some exercises to do and it got better, took a little while but it did work. I took ibuprofen for pain relief. Good luck.
    If anyone suggests acupuncture don't rule it out just because it sounds a bit weird. I know people who've had results which seem almost miraculous.

7. The Compositor

The Compositor Well-Known Member

A TENS machine might be worth a try. It’s helped a lot with leg pain I was getting from plantar facitis. My wife has chronic back pain from too many years of teaching gym. It helped her as well. £17 from Lloyds Oharmacy.

8. tigers1970

tigers1970 Well-Known Member

Ive been 45 years as a brickie whenever i have back problems i go straight to the chiropractor on holderness rd.....always does the trick for me....but good luck i hope you get sorted

9. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Is that the small portable ones ?

10. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

Looking it up, Zapain is paracetamol (500mg) & codeine (30mg). I strongly suspect the codeine is causing you the problems. However taking paracetamol shouldn't. Try two normal paracetamol (500mg) 4 times a day as a background pain relief, and combine it with ibuprofen (400mg, 3 times a day after food) if you can take it. You can take both. Obviously, this won't cure you and you need to sort out and remedy the cause of the pain, but it may relieve some of your suffering without affecting your mental health. If you can't take ibuprofen because of stomach problems, ask your doctor about COX-2 drugs, which cause less stomach issues.

11. THE EXCLUSIVE 10%

THE EXCLUSIVE 10% Well-Known Member

Also work on your core strength. A strong core will take some of the stress away from the effective area

12. TonyNormansGloves

TonyNormansGloves Well-Known Member

Sounds like sciatica, and if it is try Yoga streching excercises for sciatica, it allows the sciatic nerve to drop back into its proper place

look_back_in_amber likes this.
  13. TIGERSCAVE

Sounded like Sciatica rtf me form the original post but thought best to not say... stretches stretches and more stretches if it is... loads on You Tube.,.,.

14. big vern

big vern Well-Known Member

I can recommend a stretch or two. They do ease pain and the ending is usually happy.

tigers1970 and TwoWrights like this.
  15. Carmine Galante.

Carmine Galante. Well-Known Member

I was prescribed Zapain just after Christmas after I was struck down with severe groin/ hip and back pain.

I’ve got arthritis in both hips and put it down to that but after a trip to the doctor he thought it was a case/ flair up of Piriformis syndrome.

He told me to take it easy for 4 weeks and get back to him, to be honest I thought he was taking the piss.

4 weeks today since I saw the doc and I haven’t taken the Zapain for 10 days now and my pain levels have dropped by 80 to 90 %.

I’ve made an effort to shift some timber and have lost a stone and 11lbs since last May and 12 lbs since Christmas, I think that helps a lot.

I’m still taking 3 x Indometacin anti inflammatory’s a day and am far from being fully mobile but at lease the pain is well under control. I also use cold compress packs if I feel any twinges.

I suppose I was lucky because the Zapain didn’t affect my mental health but they are strong bits of kit.

Hope you get sorted mate, speaking from experience I know only too well how it can get you down when you’re in constant grief.

Better days are around the corner.

Kempton and Ernie Shackleton like this.
  16. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

When your organs start failing, Zapain becomes your best friend, I’ve got through cartons of the stuff over the years.

Fortunately no side effects for me.

17. Carmine Galante.

I was taking 8 a day for a while.

18. TIGERSCAVE

19. Carmine Galante.

One Saturday I had a couple in the morning and then knocked them on the head so I could have a drink in the evening.

Not my best idea.

I was smacked off me tits, it was like a scene from Trainspotting.

HHH likes this.
  20. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I’ve been taking eight a day for about five years.<whistle>