1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

capello gone

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by ninelivesspur, Feb 8, 2012.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Ok Ensil, I'll believe that you weren't referring to me, in the same way I believe Harry Redknapp when he says he hasn't even thought about taking on the England job <laugh>

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

<laugh><ok>

3. Kunniaa Kunniaa

Kunniaa Kunniaa New Member

I knew that we would eventually get your confession to being a sad and Spurs obsessed moderator with nothing of value to bring to a thread. Well done, it's like being able to admit that you're an alcoholic, that's step 1 achieved - now you can move on.

4. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

1056:
    BREAKING NEWS

Harry Redknapp on England: "I was shocked and I was surprised [about Capello's resigntaion]. We knew he would leave in the summer but didn't expect it to happen now.

"Tottenham is my team and the fans have been fantastic. It wouldn't be right to focus on anything else other than Spurs. That's my focus."

I changed my mind after seeing this and edited my post. I was afraid the absence of a strong denial meant Redknapp would accept the England job. These words did a lot to ease my mind.

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Anyway ignoring Ensil's petty remarks. I think the FA are going to have a hard time finding other candidates to be honest. We might be talking in speculative terms, but is there anybody else who is likely to come forward and challenge Redknapp for the job?

MON and Pardew have ruled themselves out of contention. I've heard Peter Taylor being discussed, but he's been out of management for so long that it would be a huge risk bringing him in before a major tournament. The FA chairman has spoken about bringing someone in who can hit the ground running, who is already in the thick of it, so to speak. He also wants a popular manager that resonates with the fans and someone who is English.

I'm not sure anyone other than Redknapp really fits the bill. If anyone else were to offer their services knowing that Redknapp's name was in the hat, would they really feel that they had a realistic chance of getting the job?

6. Kunniaa Kunniaa

It's probably been every lad's boyhood dream however Redknapp is in a better position than many to realise that it would be not so much a dream but more of a nightmare.

Whoever takes over the reins has no chance whatsoever of winning any tournament they enter with the quality of players available to chose from. Why put himself in a position where he would be open to criticism and ridicule for England's failure? Far better for him to remain where he is and to be rewarded and appreciated.

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

To be fair though, he can't really come out and say that he's interested in the job when he hasn't even been officially approached. I wouldn't expect him to say anything other than this at this stage to be honest.

8. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Redknapp's got a lot of self belief though, Ensil.
    Taking over for the Euros would give him an automatic Get Out of Jail Free Card too, with regards to that tournament.
    "We've got a triffic bunch of lads, but we didn't have time to prepare properly. We'll do it all my way for the World Cup, though."

Having a shot with the severely underwhelming 'Golden Generation', many of whom he brought through, before putting them out to graze and blooding a new bunch would probably suit Redknapp perfectly.
    He'd have coached most of the side already and would know virtually all of the others anyway, so there's not much preparation needed.

9. Kunniaa Kunniaa

All true but I think that " there's not much preparation needed" is contradicted by "we didn't have time to prepare properly" - surely it can only be one or the other. Oh - I thought he was acquitted <whistle>.

10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Agree. I think Redknapp would be taking over at a natural transition time for England, the last remnants of the 'Golden Generation' are all but spent and he will have a good mixture of young talented players coming through the ranks alongside some players who actually want to play for England. It could be the first time in years where we actually have a team instead of 11 over inflated egos. Personally, I think it's set up perfectly for Redknapp. As a fan, I'd quite enjoy calling Redknapp my manager and cheering him on too

11. redwhiteandermblue

Quite aside from whether he WILL take the job, it would seem a little strange that he would want to, given the condition of the England team and the history of the job turning into a nightmare. Unlike previous teams, the only hope about this one is that they look so mediocre people will underestimate them. Getting to the quarters would be a good result, the semis would be a small miracle (or a lucky draw).

The old guard are gone or should be, Rooney should be gone and is banned for two games. Ashley Young, who was excellent for a year or more, has slumped. Jones and Smalling still look too young for CB, Lescott and Jagielka might be the best choice but I doubt anyone will have the guts to pick them. The young player who was prospectively the key to the team, Wilshire, is crocked, and I'm guessing won't be fully back in form by the Euros, if he's able to play at all. The team is a real mess. Their best option is probably to park the bus as they did against Spain, but I doubt the fans will stand for it.

12. Let's face it, Harry would be ideal for the England job, for all the reasons that his many supporters in the game and in the press have already stated. I actually believe he could take us all the way, because he'd get those boys playing for their shirt, he'd get them wanted to pull that jersey on with pride, and he'd get back every single England fan who has wavered under Capello's stewardship, because we'll instantly see a difference.

And, yes, I'll admit, that we probably will not win the Euros Final, but neither did Venables, but his failure is remembered with fondness, because under him we came oh so close to beating the Germans and getting to that World Cup Final. And, more importantly, under Venables the England team played with flair and passion, and they were exciting to watch. Harry will do exactly the same thing, and there is absolutely no other manager out there who can do for England what Harry can do to motivate the players and the backroom staff.

Our only hope of keeping Harry is that love and commitment to our club and to Daniel Levy, and his desire to win the EPL title is so strong that he cannot leave. Because, let's face it, if he takes the England job, it'll probably be his last in a managerial role.

13. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Seems that Harry can get away with pretty much anything these days.... including saying that 'it would be hard to turn it down' if he was offered the England job and then saying 'I've never even thought about the England job'.

14. redwhiteandermblue

My post and the previous are a good example of glass half full vs. half empty... It's true, expectations, for once, are reasonably low.

15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

HIAG i think it was the Euros and not the World cup that Terry Vegetable took England close to victory in the semi v Germany <laugh>