1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cambridge up next....

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Sep 8, 2022.

1. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Can I just say, that was ****in' brilliant!

Kept at it against a team that had no intention of trying to score a goal and eventually got our reward.

Everybody is buying into McKenna's way and it's all looking rather good. We are a force in the division this year and I don't think many will want to play us now.

2. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Have to mention this........I felt like I was watching a San Marino game :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

That performance showed the rest of the league that it's really not worth it to try and play for a point against us. The times of just sitting in against Ipswich and getting a result are gone now.

It was an excellent team effort and our squad depth is real. I'm putting it out there now, we'll finish top.

Southcoastoldgaffer and Redruth like this.
  4. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Due to delayed kick off, I had to leave early in order to get home. Left after 71 minutes with the score at 0-0. Heard the roar for the 1st goal as I was leaving and by the station for the 2nd. Delighted with the 3 points -a bit gutted to miss the goals. Think a lot of teams will play that way at PR so patience will be key going forward

Redruth, San Diego and Nuggets like this.
  5. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

upload_2022-10-5_8-53-12.png

6. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Ha ha! Actually I sneaked a look at score about 8.30 and saw yr comments and decided not to watch or listen to anything. Not a ball kicked or commented on, for 1st time in years.

Checked score at 10.30, bloody hell, 3 -0!
    We are in a very good place, and as others have said, Edwards is thriving as impact sub. Does he start? Maybe not.

Top 2, great GD, and a banker to get promoted. We all enjoy this wonderful revival.

7. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Just watching the full replay on iFollow and to be fair the first half is better than I'd expected.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  8. Southcoastoldgaffer

I had better watch it !

9. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think the frustration with the first half stemmed from how we didn't quite look able to break down the Cambridge defence. In terms of possession, build up play, and team solidity, we looked more than fine. Cambridge didn't appear too bothered about attacking - even when they went a goal down. They had a couple of notable opportunities in the first half, but that was it really.

The Kyle Edwards and Lee Evans substitutions definitely changed the game, for me. We looked a lot more incisive and Edwards' undoubted technical abilities just clicked. Cambridge were possibly tiring too, particularly once they conceded. They appeared to have given up.

I shouldn't be too harsh on Cambridge. They have been punching above their weight the last few years and they have an in-demand manager. Our budget is obviously bigger than theirs and we've spent a lot of money putting together this talented squad (although not as much as the rest of League One believes). Most importantly, we've actually got a tactically intelligent manager in the dugout, who coaches us significantly better than the previous three managers we've had. We're on a good run and (unlike our first season in League One under Lambert, when we were topping the table around this time), our performances have been a lot more convincing, controlled, and the form looks sustainable.

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  10. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I thought we were half decent first half. We moved the ball around well, didn't give too much away there were just a few things which I've already said from a tactical sense we could be aware of. Burns doesn't have the space he uses to have...Edwards is a different type of player using trickery to beat his marker Burns used pace and power.

I quite like the look of Ball but not sure why Evans was rested given how well he played, he certainly came on and improved our game...think if anywhere we could improve in the next transfer market would be to get a 'playmaker'.

Then lastly we clearly have a favoured approached when we get to the byline and that's to cut it back, whilst we've done this with some success, sometimes I think particularly when teams are deep when it's cut back there are so many bodies in the way it's tough to get a shot off, sometimes we need to play it across the box more as it causes more mistakes as seen by our first goal. Sometimes things don't need to be perfect you just need to put the ball into dangerous areas.

We are in the same position we were under Lambert a couple of seasons back but the team is completely different, playing well, young hungry, strong and crucially we have quality in depth. We might not make the autos but it looks like we're in for a consistently strong season for the first time in years ...I'd go back to the Royle days

11. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Town dominated the match from start to finish with first half possession of 78%, Cambridge started time wasting from the word go and so it went on, they played two lines of five which all in all amounted to mind numbingly boring football from them, i know there were league points at stake but fans pay good money to watch these games and their should be some attempt at least to entertain.
    This time McK got his subs spot on and they breathed new life into a team that had been battering a brick wall up to then, the first goal went in quickly followed by the second and the Cambridge keeper actually broke into a run to get the goal kicks taken but soon Edwards scored the third and Cambridge got exactly what they deserved from the game which is nothing.
    I hardly heard a peep from the 1700+ away fans and they left in droves long before the end, i cant blame them for who would want to be associated with such a poor quality boring team as that.

12. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Is this what the fans of attacking Championship clubs (Bournemouth, Fulham etc.) thought about us back in the later Mick years? <laugh>

13. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

It's what we all thought wasn't it?

14. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

The difference was we were a long-established Championship side who'd flirted (briefly) with promotion to the Prem,Cambridge have only recently got into this division and face a fight for survival over the longer term.

15. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Youre probably right and thats why i gave up my season ticket, but speaking to a Cambridge supporter on the way home he thought they were embarrassingly bad as well, by the way i thought the ref was excellent!

16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Well we know how that feels, we’ve been there but we never wavered. Fair play to the Cambridge fans. Without fans like those the football pyramid, the great traditions of the English game and FA Cup magic wouldn’t exist. Charlton match has sold out allocation in six minutes. If we do get to the Prem I reckon I’ll have to fork out for a season ticket to have any chance of getting away tickets. Scant reward for enduring the Evans era.

17. Southcoastoldgaffer

I am keen we get back to the Prem before I have another accident! Cat with proverbial 9 lives, and I have had 4 of them!
    Supporting Town brings us all such happy times, in this very uncertain world.