1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Burton away

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nothing like an early start!........<laugh>

So who's going to be in Colin's first starting 11 this season against Burton?

Given the game is away from home and one we don't want to lose, what system should Colin use given the options he's got?

Can he afford to have Zohore, Ward and Tomlin on the pitch at the same time? Is that too adventurous or would it send out a statement of intent?

Comments please - and FFS let's get this forum back on track with some chat - it's been like a morgue this summer.

2. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Etheridge

Peltier Manga Morrison Bennett

Tomlin Bamba Gunnarsson Ralls

Ward Zohore

OR

Zohore plus 10.

In other words I ain't got a clue.

3. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Don't think you're too far away Dai although Hoilett might sneak in. Not sure of Peltier's fitness and Jazz not right either. Young Coxe might get a look in.

4. Ccfc4ever

Ccfc4ever Well-Known Member

Etheridge
    Richards Bamba Manga Bennett
    Damour Gunnar
    Hoilett Tomlin Mendez
    Zohore

Jay-Rede and ccfcremotesupport like this.
  5. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

Don't know who's going to be in our starting 11 but I'm going to be in our crowd - can't wait. Looking forward to this one.

6. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

The starting 11 will be important. Equally important will be the bench. Can see Neil changing the outcome of games in our favour with what he brings off the bench.

I'd like to see us start with three at the back.

7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Three at the back is one way of satisfying our 3 first line CB's, whether it'll work is another matter. No reason it shouldn't and I doubt Warnock leave his captain Morro off the pitch for this first game.

That'll need two overlapping wingbacks to support the lack of that extra midfield player that 3 at the back causes. If that's the case forget Peltier - he has a problem getting over the half way line. Looks like Bennett and Richards are the obvious candidates.

The other 5 in front of them is anyone's guess apart from Zohore and Tomlin who must start if we are serious about winning this game. I'd go for Gunnar and Ralls in the middle and that leaves one wide berth to fill. You could perm any one from Ward, Mendez, Hoilett or Harris.

8. ccfcremotesupport

a better set of problems to have this year with options for positions and formations.
    We've had a lot of managers recently with no plan B. Ole was the exception. He had plans B to Z. Unfortunately, no plan A.
    I think Colin will plump for 4411 as plan A, but will have other formations for specific opposition and if a game needs changing.
    More optimistic about this season than for a while.

9. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Don't think Bamba will be in midfield.

I reckon

Etheridge
    Peltier Bamba Morrison Bennett
    Hoilett Gunnarsson Ralls Mendez-Laing
    Tomlin
    Zahore

10. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

Etheridge
    Richards Bamba Morrison Bennet
    Ralls Gunnar
    Mendez, Tomlin, Holliet
    Zohore

That's what I'd do anyway <laugh>

11. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Hmmmmm.....no one fancies Ward to start then.

Do you see him as an alternative for Zohore or can they work together?

12. Jay-Rede

Jay-Rede Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Manga start over Morrison but just can't see it happening.

Etheridge
    Richards Bamba Morro Bennett
    Ralls Gunnar
    Hoilett Tomlin Mendez
    Zohore

13. ccfcremotesupport

I can see Ward coming off the bench for Ken, or being part of plan 'B'. I've said before, it's a squad game not a team game.
    A lot more options than for a while.

14. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Warnock has said 9 of the 11 are chosen.

Pretty sure they are Etheridge Bamba Morro Bennett Ralls Gunner Hoillet Zahore Tomlin. That leaves Right back and the other wing. If fit I'm certain Peltier will play. If not we may see Manga there. I think Mendez will get the nod on the other wing.

I think we have a lot of options. I think we have a lot of cover but it's not going to be a long season for Gunner and Ralls in the engine room. Maybe if we offload a couple we can add to the squad there.

15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Gunnar and Ralls will probably play in the middle of the park engine room every league game if not injured nor suspended. A big ask but they are both tough cookies - mentally as well as physically.

Other options are available with Damour and O'Keefe (at the moment), and Warnock also seems to rate Halford as a holding midfielder as well. We may see these guys given a chance against Portsmouth in the League cup.

Getting Tomlin in seems to have been a great move but definitely on the front foot option. If things get tough out there you need another Gunnar/Ralls type of player to cover - hopefully Damour will prove up to it.

If not, I agree that any fees/wage commitments that become available from the sale of Noone, Pilks, Declan and probably O'Keefe should be targeted at a quality midfield holding player with some pace.

Injuries apart, we seem pretty well covered at the back.

Out wide and up front with Ward now an option for either we should be OK.

I don't want to consider Zorro getting any injury that would keep him out for more than the odd game or two - any long term injury could be a disaster before Healey is back in contention.

16. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0103-cool: City could win this and send out a firm message....4-0

<party><party><party>

17. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

I'd prefer to see Richards but the vibe from the media suggests Peltier is first choice. However he didn't feature v Livingston so is he injured?

Ward to come off the bench to inject some pace.

Pilkington is the proverbial riddle wrapped in a puzzle; is he going or not? If not where does NW play him? I don't rate him even though once in a blue moon he might stick one in.

18. hampshire Blue

hampshire Blue Active Member

Can't believe it's the new season already.

Going to be the usual roller coaster ride but whatever the final outcome it will be interesting.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  19. whiffletree

whiffletree Well-Known Member

..........................................................Etheridge...................................................
    .............Manga...................................Morrison...........................Bamba.............
    Richards.....................................................................................................Bennett
    ..............................................Gunnar.......................Ralls.......................................
    ...............Tomlin..................................Zohore...............................Hoilett...............

20. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Another season, we are optimistic because of Neil Warnock and what he has brought to the club so far. Shame on all you people who scorned him, and took the piss before his tenure with us pals! :emoticon-0103-cool:

please log in to view this image

Burton and Cardiff have only met on three previous occasions in competitive matches

Burton will be without Ben Turner, who starts a five-match ban after being found guilty of racially abusing Brentford's Nico Yennaris last season.

Striker Liam Boyce will be out for much of the season with an anterior cruciate ligament injury sustained last weekend.

Cardiff winger Kadeem Harris will be out for up to three months after injuring his ankle in pre-season.

The visitors will also be without keeper Lee Camp, along with defenders Callum Paterson and Matt Connolly.

SAM's prediction
    Home win - 35% Draw - 27% Away win - 38%
    SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

Match facts
    • After failing to win their first five opening-day matches in the English Football League, the Brewers have won two of the past three (L1).
    • Cardiff City have won four and drawn four of their past nine matches on the opening weekend of the season (L1).
    • Veteran manager Neil Warnock has lost just once in his past 10 opening-day matches (W4 D5), losing 4-0 to Bolton while in charge of QPR in the Premier League.
    • This will be the fourth competitive meeting between Burton and Cardiff, with the home side winning all three previous clashes (Cardiff twice and Burton once).
    • Kenneth Zohore was directly involved in more goals than any other Cardiff player in 2016-17 (12 goals, five assists). Zohore failed to score or assist in both meetings with Burton last season.
    • Jackson Irvine was the only Burton player to reach double figures for goals in the Championship last season (10), but did not provide a single assist.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    BluefromBridgend likes this.