1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Burnley - Home

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by BrizzleBluebird, Sep 30, 2022.

1. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Burnley Header.jpg

CCS 3.jpg

Game #11 of the season sees the Bluebirds return home after what seems an eternity for the International break and the visit of high flying Burnley.

After suffering defeat away at Huddersfield last time out and the inevitable dead cat (dog) bounce, the Bluebirds will be hoping for much the same as we see Mark Hudson taking the reins for the first time after replacing the now deposed Steve Morison.
    Hudson of course has a track record for taking temporary charge of teams having done so at Huddersfield previously.
    If he can instill some passion like the below, then we could be in for a fun ride!!

Burnley come to the CCS in good form, unbeaten in 7 games (8 if you count the league cup), scoring 15 times in those 7 games and conceding 8.
    The Clarets of course are managed by the likeable and much heralded Vincent Kompany, with the familiar figure of dyed in the wool Bluebird Craig Bellamy as his trusty assistant.
    As you'd expect of a recently relegated Premier League side, they have a very impressive squad, boasting attacking prowess in the form of Jay Rodriguez and the battering ram that is Ashley Barnes, as well as a stable midfield containing Josh Brownhill, Josh Cullen and (ex )Jack Cork. The exciting Nathan Tella has also been added on loan from Southampton.
    Defensively Burnley suffered the loss of previous linchpins in James Tarkowski and Ben Mee as well as losing Nathan Collins to Wolves for £20 million +, but still have Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Charlie Taylor and Welsh International regular and gobby ex-Jack Connor Roberts in their ranks.

With 8 of their squad starting 7 or more of their 10 games so far, everything points to a pretty stable line up being favoured by Vinnie Kompany, which could well have contributed strongly to their current 4th place position and suffering just 1 defeat so far this season.

The last outing v Burnley at the CCS resulted in a narrow 1-2 defeat for the Bluebirds, way back in September 2018 during our last short stop in the Premier league.
    That game saw Josh Murphy score what I believe was his first (of too few) goals for Cardiff. Of the whole squad that day, only Joe Ralls and Mark Harris remain with the club, though Sean Morrison of course remains at the club informally during his rehabilitation from injury too.
    Welsh International Sam Vokes scored what proved to be the decisive goal.

Murphy goal v Burnely.jpg
    Josh Murphy netting one of his 10 goals for the Bluebirds. Still reckon we got sent the wrong twin!

Head to head there is little between the teams, with the Lancastrians just shading things with their 30 victories to the Bluebirds 29 and the spoils being shared on 26 occasions.

Early Team News
    Will it be a case of new manager and clean slates? Certainly Gavin Whyte has come in for some praise from Mark Hudson for his attitude and his impact whilst away on International duty. Could we see the recently ineffective Ojo dropped in favour of the Irishman as a result?
    It appears Rubin Colwill is once again a doubt. Many of his niggles and slight injuries are being put down to his growth spurts, though in this case, one suspects that being used by the Welsh team recently may well have contributed to this particular instance too.
    It is believed that Kion Etete and Ebou Adams are now back on grass and training with the team so potentially we could see them on the subs bench. This could be a particularly exciting prospect for Adams who is still yet to make his Bluebirds debut in a competitive game.
    There has been no further word on previous Burnley target Isaac Davies so odds are it is still too soon to expect to see him in the squad this Saturday.
    All eyes will however be on the defensive line up and formation. Will we see a return to a back 4 or will Huds go with a 5 / wing backs?

Pre-match the manager has been quoted as saying "I think Burnley is a big game. We know how well they are doing at the moment, so we need to be right at it come Saturday.
    "They've made a big change to the playing style, and they seem to be in a good vein of form at the moment.

"We've had some good time on the grass, and the players have taken it on board. They are in good spirits. The lads have all come back in today, but we've had time throughout the international break with the players.

"We've got three or four players who aren't quite yet able to get on the grass, but we're getting there."

So no insights gained there then!! <confused> <laugh>

Prutton Predicts
    Unsurprisingly the Sky man has gone for a Burnley win, though the narrow 0-1 margin may surprise a few people.

The bookies also favour the Clarets with the odds for a home win being 21/10, a draw 11/5 and an away win 11/8.

Sharing The Love
    With appearances for the City as a player AND manager, Jimmy Mullen is probably the stand out person to have worked with both clubs.
    Having played over 100 games for the Bluebirds, Mullen also had the pleasure of taking the reigns on two occasions as manager of Cardiff. He'll also be fondly remembered by Burnley fans having led them to 2 promotions in the space of 5 years whilst in the hot seat at Turf Moor.

Special mention once again also for Whitts, who as well as being a true legend for the Bluebirds made a few loan appearances for the Clarets too.

Jimmy Mullen.jpg
    Captain Mullen (I believe) center front row. This was the first Bluebirds shirt I ever owned, bought for me by my big brother as rare Christmas gift!

Apps Burnley.jpg

Steve Thompson Warm Down at St Mirren.jpg
    Ex-Bluebird and Claret Steven Thompson warms down after another St Mirren training session. Just don't annoy him or you could get skewered!

So, can we beat Bellers & Co? Can we score more than the Turf Moor mob?? Can Huds get us heading in the right direction??? All I know is the Stig can't help us, so we have to help ourselves......

Bloooooooooobirds!!

2. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Nice work again sir <applause>
    Time for me to start building positivity so I hope at least we stick to playing football and give Burnley a game. Can't see us winning so it's about performance.

BrizzleBluebird likes this.
  3. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Quality review again <applause>

No Peter Noble imitating Bobby Charlton’s comb over or pesky Leighton James to concern us but Rodriguez might <yikes>

Oh as for the new manager bounce I think it worked for us a few times (Warnock, MM, Slade, Morison?) but it’s a big ask tomorrow for the Butler to bounce!

(Hudson the butler for those of a certain age!)

BrizzleBluebird and clingo like this.
  4. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Another masterpiece BB. <applause>

5. BluefromBridgend

Well they're upstairs and we're downstairs at the moment. Time for the underlings to rise up and assert themselves.

6. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He was a real Professional and had a lot of success when managing Shaw and Collins.

ninian opinion and clingo like this.
  7. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Let's hope he doesn't end up crying a river.

8. ninian opinion

Haven’t played these for a few seasons so good to see the 5 goal clip on the club website to bring back some memories.

I’d have had Bothroyd’s effort in the home game rather than McCormack though...

9. BrizzleBluebird

What is the latest team news?
    The home side could be without Rubin Colwill, who is nursing a niggle he picked up on international duty.

Ebou Adams and Isaak Davies remain sidelined, although striker Kion Etete is now back training on the grass. Jamilu Collins is out for the season.

For the visitors, Scott Twine looks set to be out, although Vincent Kompany said he has no other major fitness concerns for the trip to south Wales

What have the managers said?
    Mark Hudson: "I've had a long, hard look at them. Bellers [Craig Bellamy] is coming back with Mr Kompany, who has made a change in playing style there.
    "Bellers is always friendly with me! I’m sure there will be some nerves deep down in his gut. You’ve got two coaching staff who want to win a football match."

Vincent Kompany: "I have watched a lot of Cardiff's games and it seemed to be like they were doing some good things, but it goes like this sometimes.

"It's a new manager now, who gets a chance, and a young manager as well, who I am sure will have a good career. I have done my homework on the players and know which options they have.

"I am like every other manager - trying to get as much information as I can. There is only so much you can guess. I am not intending on starting a new 'spy gate' so I fully accept that we will go into the game with only pieces of information. We'll be ready to adapt."

Match facts
    • This is the first league meeting between Cardiff and Burnley since the 2018-19 season when the sides were in the Premier League; the Clarets won both games that season.
    • Burnley are looking to win three consecutive league games against Cardiff for the first time since February 1994.
    • Cardiff City have picked up just five points in their last seven Championship matches (W1 D2 L4), having won three of their four league games before this run (L1).
    • Burnley’s Jay Rodriguez has scored five league goals in eight appearances this season, two more than he managed in 60 Premier League appearances across the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons (3).
    • Burnley defender Taylor Harwood-Bellis has progressed the ball 1,892 metres upfield with ball carries in the Championship this season, the most of any player in the division. It is also more than double than any other Clarets player has managed in the league this season (Ian Maatsen, 941m).

BluefromBridgend and clingo like this.
  10. BrizzleBluebird

Was trying to find Steve Thompson's goals from his debut game which was against Burnley in 2006.

I got rather excited at the prospect of a striker with such prowess.
    Little did I know that he'd of course go on to be yet another in the long list of hard working but low scoring front men for us :emoticon-0120-doh: <doh>

clingo likes this.

11. ninian opinion

The thing I recall of that was the headline “Thomohawk at the double....”

Also Dirty Sanchez did the half time stint - naked backsides getting laced with footballs at the Grange End <yikes>

12. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Excellent extras Brizzle.
    Fair play to you sir, you've taken match day threads to a whole new level. Best on 606 in my humble and unbiased opinion.

Kompany speaks very well and has clearly gained a lot from his time playing for some of the big names in management.

I'm having real issues with Bellers coming to CCS as part of the opposition.

Anyway, c'mon City.

Bloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooobirds

13. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

looks like more of the same in terms of set up.
    4231? or will it be a 442?
    time will tell how they play within that set up.

Cardiff City XI
    : Allsop; Romeo, Ng, Kipre, Nkounkou; Ojo, Wintle, Ralls, O'Dowda; Robinson, Harris.

Subs: Alnwick, Nelson, Simpson, Sawyers, Rinomhota, Whyte, Watters.

Burnley XI: Muric; Roberts, Harwood-Bellis, Taylor, Maatsen; Cork, Cullen, Brownhill; Tella, Gudmundsson, Rodriguez.

Subs: Peacock-Farrell, Barnes, Benson, Zaroury, Vitinho, Bastien, Beyer.

14. BluefromBridgend

Looks like a back 4 to me with Ojo and O'Dowda supporting the full backs if needed, and vice versa.

Hope our centre backs can look after the Burnley front line.

15. BrizzleBluebird

Yep, I'm plumping for a 442 with that line up.

Back to basics and 2 up top to try trouble them a bit more.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  16. BrizzleBluebird

I recall that. Wasn't one of them a Jack??? (Pancho???).

I think one was a Plymouth fan.

17. blueturk the cat

blueturk the cat Well-Known Member

bring back the mighty Omar Bogle :emoticon-0103-cool:

18. BrizzleBluebird

Anyone listening to or watching the match?

Couldn't make it today sadly.

Looking at the stats on BBC we are doing ok but worryingly they've had 1 shot and 1 on target whereas we've had 5 but none on target. Same old story???

19. BrizzleBluebird

20. BrizzleBluebird

According to Sky, Burnley are in control but we are looking dangerous on the break.

Will we see another game where we do better with less of the ball?