1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Branco banned....

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Caldicot Cider Red, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Caldicot Cider Red

Caldicot Cider Red Well-Known Member

3 game suspension for the elbow offence, plus 2 games as he is now on 10 bookings...season over for the WWF wannabe.....taken from OTIB

2. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Good, hope thats true!

3. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

yet nothing ever happens to the ref that missed it

4. LARED

LARED Member

5. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Nothing on any official site

6. Caldicot Cider Red

Its on the FA site ROD......no mention of any bans though, but fingers crossed!

7. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I knew he's been charged but, no punishment yet. Can't believe its just the one incident they are looking at he could of been sent of at least twice.

8. LARED

LARED Member

This whole episode reinforces the need for more. video technology IMHO. Having said that there is a view that "the referees decision is final". You cant have it both ways. Most referees are stuck in the middle of a battle between 22 testosterone laden men and it cant be easy especially given all the backchat they are given. They needs eyes in the back of their heads and it is all to easy to follow the ball. The question is what sort of product do you want to buy?. Come what may you cant blame referees (all of the time) as they are only human

9. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

The whole issue also cries out for a better standard of officials. There is no excuse for the piss poor refereeing when it was happening under his nose to Aden Flint on multiple occasions on Tuesday.

10. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Having played and managed local football for many years I was very much an advocate of 'same rules from top to bottom' I have however now changed my mind regarding this due to the complete and sometimes unbelievable cock ups from officials in massively important games where professional reputations are at stake.

The referee and other officials should be reprimanded for not seeing what was going on the other night, Branco's elbow was assault, nothing less.

its time for video technology and removal of stupid 'if the ref did / didn't see it rules'

like rugby, the video should be available at any time for perusal and offences should be punished retrospectively. (including diving)

11. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

To be fair, all the Swindon fans watching it in the pub cringed during tha incident - they thought it was a penalty and a sending off - and couldn't believe their luck when it wan't.
    I dont think you'll hear much protest from up the M4 - more annoyance that it will damage their already weakened campaign.

12. LARED

LARED Member

Don't disagree but how do you achieve that increase in standard. The referees authority is constantly questioned by the players who are often instructed to do so by the manager. We need a Rugby style ethos in football which must also include the fans attitude. Ask yourself how many City supporters have described Swindon as scum and then ask your self how many Rugby supporters use similar language. Yes there is more violence in Rugby but seldom do you see dissent to the referee. Basically there is too much money in football and the emphasis is on grabbing a slice of it rather than delivering a sporting spectacle

13. Caldicot Cider Red

Football players show very little respect to the officials.....how often do we see players running and screaming, swearing and shouting at the officials?...pretty much every game . You never ever see that on a rugby pitch, where only the captains can call the ref for a word....they have total respect for the officials, in a game with more rules and things going on at any one time than football ever will.....personaly, I am all for some sort of video reffing.

14. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

You make the job of being a Ref appeal to ex players and you coach them to a high standard to look beyond their own noses for GBH.

Football will never have the (sic) gentlemanly code of conduct that Rugby supposedly has. It's too fractured and too tribal.

Yes there is too much money in football and also at the risk of sounding racist, the foreign players such as Jurgen Klinsmann gave the British game cheating as a national past time and the likes of Italy at international level in the 1970's (and Uruguay in the 1960's) gave us the unpunished forearm smash or studs down the back of the leg without fear of a booking or sending off.

15. LARED

LARED Member

There is only one thing which will do that and that is money. I suppose many players would see a ref's fee as a pittance. The problem is that attendances are high compared with other countries and the FA is saying if it aint broke don't fix it. Like it or not people don't vote with their feet. I still cant blame the referee as in many cases he has a split second to make a decision and 22 people to keep an eye. It often happens in Rugby as well but at least we have a retrospective citing system. He's been caught, he will be punished , move on and don't look for someone to blame

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  16. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

The referee was totally to blame. He missed, or chose to ignore repeated offences being committed by the same player. The third official was informed of what was occurring, City players told the referee, he chose to ignore it.

Players will bend rules as far as weak officials will allow them. The referee was still capable of seeing minor indescretions = free kicks outside the box. Inside the box the referee created a free for all on Flint.

17. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

In rugby, argue with the ref, you go back 10 yards- Carry on arguing and you go back a further 10 yards and have your captains boot firmly up your backside-

They tried this in a competition once- it might even had been the league trophy but it didn't last. Not sure why really. I played rugby at school and then for Thornbury for a while and players always respected the ref.

For me, there is little consistency with football refs. A slight nudge in the penalty box can be deemed worthy of a red card and yet week after week, players are practically wrestled to the floor in the penalty area without any offence.

Again, if a ref has been particularly carp, he should be suspended for a number of games. The ref in that England ladies game is a classic example!

18. LARED

LARED Member

How is he totally to blame if he missed it? It is alright for someone to say he should have seen it but he didn't. As regards being informed I suspect the fourth official is informed about 20 different items during the game. I really don't understand why there is such an inquest. It is the player who should being blamed (and he is) and not the referee.

19. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

It was deemed a HSE issue, when trying to take the free kick from the back of stands.....

Caldicot Cider Red likes this.
  20. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Missed it? There were a series of obvious fouls, not just one.

The referee chose to miss multiple blatant offences within the box while penalising minor physical contact outside the area.

The referee therefore creates an environment where foul play within the area becomes common because the he has chosen to accept it.

I do not like critisising referees, but in this case what was occurring was obvious, the best header in the box, the obvious goal scoring threat was being consistently blocked off, manhandled, pulled, and on the receiving end of challenges that individually were worthy of red cards. To miss all is beyond abject.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    Red Alert likes this.