1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Prediction League BPPL - Post Season

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Blue Sheep, May 9, 2017.

1. Blue Sheep

Blue Sheep Well-Known Member

Onto the final hurdle of this season then - 4 thrilling head to head ties to bring you over the course of the next month with fixtures from the Championship Playoffs and the FA Cup Final - to settle who will lift the Div II Playoff Trophy and the Capaldi Cup! Onto the match ups!

Buescull
    [PLD:1 W:0 L:1 Highest Score: 8 pts]
    Oldsparkey [PLD:3 W:1 L:2 Highest Score: 10 pts]

Third against sixth brings up two 2nd tier member competing to escape via the playoffs not for the first time. @bluescull was victim to a late surge in form from @Rumney Bluebird (last seasons beaten Playoff Finalist) which leaves him to stumble into the Playoffs. Remember that not since the inaugural BPPL season has the 3rd place finisher claimed the final promotion slot, and that after dropping out of the final promotion position last season, @FrankfurterBlue failed to make the final. Despite all this, Scull has recovered well from a 10th placed finish last season and will look to go further than his semi-final defeat in 2014. His opponent is no stranger to the Playoff format but somehow it has been 4 years since @Oldsparkey made it into the Top 6, can he make it third time lucky to finally escape Division II? The past two seasons have seen Spark return to good form, identical returns this rewarded with a shot at getting to the top tier.

Danablu [PLD:3 W:0 L:3 Highest Score: 5 pts]
    Isawronnymoorescore [PLD:0 W:0 L:0]

@danablu record stands as a reminder of two previous failed campaigns as well as his slaughter at the hands of @Barry Tiger last summer. Yet again he posts a strong score in the regular season, not good enough for automatic promotion despite 5 CS's, can he finally make it past a head to head match? History suggest that @isawronnymoorescore has good reason to be hopeful then, despite never having faced a head to head match. Ronny has done well despite finally facing relegation last season and will be hoping for a straight return to the top flight.

The fixtures they'll be predicting

Fulham vs Reading (Sat 13th May @5:30)
    Huddersfield Town vs Sheffield Wednesday (Sun 14th May @ 12:00)
    Reading vs Fulham (Tues 16th May @ 7:45)
    Sheffield Wednesday vs Huddersfield Town (Wed 17th May @ 7:45)

Scoring System

Result - The same as normal (3 pts for a CS and 1 for a CR)
    Goal Scorers - Name the scorers to match the prediction (1 point for each to a maximum of 3 points and an additional 1 points for the exact situation)
    Yellow Cards (Both teams) - 1 point if within 1 (+/-) of the correct figure or exact.
    First Goal Scorer - Indicate the player you think will score first (1 point) Even if you predict no goals, select a player.
    Tiebreaker - In the case of a draw, the tiebreaker will be used to decide the winner. It will be the total number of goals for both sides over the two ties. Closest to the actually number goes through.

Please PM me your predictions. Au questions do not hesitate to ask!

2. Blue Sheep

3 out of the four predictions in (just waiting for @isawronnymoorescore ) for tonight's game! I'll be back later with some facts on this seasons league!

3. isawronnymoorescore

isawronnymoorescore Well-Known Member

2-0 Fulham and a 1-1 between Huddersfield and Wednesday for me Sheepy

4. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Isaw - read Sheepy's OP on this bloody thread pal.<steam>

You'll need to do more than that otherwise you ain't got a chance against Danish Blue (or even Peter Stilton) <laugh>

5. danablu

danablu Active Member

Sparkey you underestimate how seriously bad I am at this playoff game

6. Blue Sheep

Yep as Sparks points out, a different format for head to head matches. Have a read of the first post! <ok>

7. Blue Sheep

At half time in this years semi-finals -

Bluescull 4-3 Oldsparkey
    @bluescull heads into the 2nd legs with a slender lead, mainly in thanks to Cairneys equaliser. Both get points for yellow cards in each match and Sparks picks up a point for predicting a draw at Craven Cottage. This could still go either way.

Danablu 1-1 Isawronnymoorescore
    @danablu fails to take advantage of @isawronnymoorescore hospital predicting, by only taking a point from this weekend matches. Ronny matches his point with a line of predicting, and can consider himself lucky to still be going to into the 2nd legs with a chance of making the final!

Hostilities resume on Tuesday evening <ok>

8. isawronnymoorescore

sorry about that

9. isawronnymoorescore

how do you do a pm please Sheepy

10. isawronnymoorescore

sorry dont know how to achieve a personal message, cannot see how its done !!

11. isawronnymoorescore

think i may have cracked it, can you confirm you have recieved my predictions for the 2nd leg, sorry for the bother.

Blue Sheep likes this.
  12. Blue Sheep

The full time scores from last night matches -

Bluescull 7-6 Oldsparkey
    Neither competitor really able to grasp a hold of this tie, ultimately decided by @bluescull prediction of Cairney's goal in the first leg. @Oldsparkey can feel slightly aggrieved that he didn't Level the tie last night but Wells strike took enough of a deflection for it to be awarded as an OG. Scull would have still advanced on the tiebreaker however and so to his first Playoff final. Commiserations to Sparks, who has had a really good season and made a good effort of this tie, it it looks like another season in the 2nd tier next year!

Danablu 5-2 Isawronnymoorescore
    Relief for @danablu who final breaks his head to head duck and does so in quite stunning fashion, with a Steven Fletcher to score first double pointer to which @isawronnymoorescore has no answer! Ronny can reflect that, in hindsight, messing up the first round predictions might have cost him this tie and a straight return to Div I. But hey, lessions learnt!

That means our Div II Playoff Final is -

Bluescull (3) vs Danablu (4)

Predicting

Arsenal vs Chelsea (Sat 27th May @ 5:30)
    Reading vs Huddersfield Town (Mon 29th May @ 3:00)

<ok>

13. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well done Scull <ok>.

All the best in the final against Danish Blue. Nothing at all against the Great Dane (despite Cornelius<laugh>), but I'd like to think I'd been beaten in the semis by the eventual playoff winner.

Sheepy - far from just being churlish, it would be nice if you could post the predictions of each playoff contestant after the event. I'm not doubting your integrity but me and isaw could then check them out for errors and demand a recount........<laugh>

14. Blue Sheep

Just like Mr. Infantino, I vow to clean up my act and introduce transparency and clarity to the BPPL... <laugh>

15. bluescull

bluescull Well-Known Member

Hi Mr. Sheep.

Can you confirm you have received my predictions for play off final and cup final?
    Thanks.

Cheers Sparkey.⬆️

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  16. isawronnymoorescore

As always Sheepy a great competition and i look forward to automatic promotion next season. Thank you

17. Blue Sheep

This seasons Capaldi Cup competition has gone a bit under the radar so let me fill you in before the final next weekend

Irishbluebird [PLD:6 W:4 L:2 Highest Score - 7 pts]
    Sayer77 [PLD:6 W:5 L:1 Highest Score - 9 pts]

Road To The Final
    @irishbluebird campaign began a round earlier than his opponent in this year final, and began by thrashing @BluefromBridgend 7 -3 to gain a large scoop of revenge for his defeat in this competitions final two season's ago. Both Irish and @Sayer77, entering the fray now thanks to a first round bye, then squeezed past @hampshire Blue and myself respectively in the quarters to go into next weekends final.

Cup Final Preview
    Can you think of a more grandstand tie to round of this years season? This fixture has more layers than an onion! Can Sayer prevent Irish becoming the third BPPL member to complete a 3rd league & cup double, and in the process defend the cup he won last year? Despite another relegation confirmed earlier this month, Sayer at least has the chance to salvage some silverware from this disappointing defense of his league title. Irish, as mentioned above, has been here before and can lay to rest some ghosts to end a glorious silverware winning season. Based on this season league form, you would make Irish favorite considering he has swept all before him but Sayer hasn't lost a head to head tie since 2013... Something is going to have to give!

Capaldi Cup Final 2017
    (Irishbluebird vs Sayer77)

For those of you who don't know, the Capaldi Cup is a head to head knockout competition for the top 6 positions in the league. It is named in honor of my favorite and most useless LB, Tony Capaldi - who represented City 62 times between 2007 and 2010, developing a fearsome reputation for his ability to mark empty space. <laugh>
    please log in to view this image

Jay-Rede and irishbluebird like this.
  18. irishbluebird

irishbluebird Well-Known Member

Cheers Sheepy. I'll pm my predictions over this week and good luck Sayer ⚽

19. Sayer77

Sayer77 Active Member

Cheers Irish and good luck youself

irishbluebird likes this.
  20. Blue Sheep

And at the same time...

Buescull [PLD:2 W:1 L:1 Highest Score: 8 pts]
    Danablu [PLD:4 W:1 L:3 Highest Score: 5 pts]

Playoff Final Preview
    Not to be outdone on a sufficient layer of subtext, 3rd and 4th seeds @bluescull and @danablu clash this weekend in a bid to secure the final promotion slot. For both Scull and Danablu this is uncharted territory, they have mustered a combined three semi-final defeats between in their previous attempts to reach the final, and only one will progress to Div I next season. Bluescull has the chance the rectify his last minute stumble that presented @Rumney Bluebird with the opportunity to leapfrog him and prove that his efforts this season deserves promotion. He faces a Danablu that has never been on such a hot head to head streak! Assisted by some hospitable predicting by @isawronnymoorescore, Dana manages to make the record look a little brighter. This is the closest Danablu has come to promotion in his 6 seasons of predicting - will this weekend finally break the gloom of his 2nd tier stay?

BPPL Div II Playoff Final 2017 (Bluescull vs Danablu)

<ok>