1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bolton H preview

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

3 points - anything less is unacceptable.

I don't care HOW we get it, simply must win.

COYB.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  2. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

We'll win, that i have no doubt - hopefully the Brentford game will give them confidence, and also Jackson finally scoring in the league.
    2-0 with both Jacko and Harrison (off the bench) scoring.

3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

If we set ourselves up and play how we did in that second half against Brentford, we should win this. Home form looks significantly better than our away form, so if we’re going to climb up the table then we need to retain our unbeaten home record and start notching up some wins.

For the starting eleven, I’d keep it simple and largely similar to the line up for the second half, opting for:

Gerken

Donacien / Nsiala / Pennington / Knudsen

Skuse / Chalobah

Ward / Nolan / Edwards

Jackson

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  4. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Drop Chambers?..wash your mouth out!

5. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Would you find a place for Walters if he's fit Nuggets?

6. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

2-1 Town

Come on!

7. Nuggets

I would drop Chambers, Stretchy. I think he's been poor throughout this season, seems incapable of playing a couple of successful short passes from the back, and I think Nsiala and Pennington would be a better combination (based on what I've seen from them so far this season). Fieldmarshall, as for Walters, I don't think he'll be fit enough for Saturday. Even if he is, I'd like to see if Jackson could build on his goal last night, as well as his decent performance, alongside Edwards at left wing and Ward at right wing, both had good games and may solve our issue with a lack of balance on the flanks and a poor functioning left wing in previous games this season.

8. Westlake33

I actually fancy us to win this too lads! COYB. It's must win in my book though.

We've now =
    * Won 2 in 20.
    * Without a win in 10 including last season.
    * Still without a cleansheet in the league.
    * Won 1 in 13 at home.

On the plus, Jackson has scored in the league. Good man.

We need to build.

Drawing at home, losing away. What a time to be alive.

9. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

2 - 1 Win

Goals from Jackson and Ward. Some squeaky bum moments as we try to shut up shop late on, but just about manage to hold on for the win.

Most importantly it looks like we might have something that could resemble a settled system (if we use the same formation as 2nd half last night)

10. Westlake33

6 changes for Norwich

Just the 5 last night.

Don't bank on it.

Also, what the hell has Edun done well? Unused sub the last 3 games. Playing well reward = 0 minutes.

11. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Someone has to miss out, given the size of our squad and number of the midfield options we have. He has played well I agree, but Skuse is (much to the annoyance of many) still an integral part of that midfield and Chalobah and Downes have been given minutes there in the past couple of games. Would we be having the same moan but replacing the players name regardless I wonder?

It is a long season and I expect he'll be getting plenty of game time throughout the campaign

Bigalreigned likes this.
  12. Westlake33

Well lets take last night for instance with Edun.

Okay sure, Noland + Edwards on perhaps ahead of him ( I'd play him over Nolan anyday but personal preference )

1-1 at home, go for the win / sit? Brings on Downes. Interesting.

I'd be starting Edun - think he's good enough to start and a little confused how he's not played a single minute the last 270 offered.

I hope to god Edun at worst gets 20 vs Bolton, otherwise be 4 in a row.

13. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Nolan and Edun are different players who play in different (albeit slightly similar positions) so I wouldn't say that would be a straight swap without effecting the balance of the side negatively, as we'd have 3 defensive midfield players on the pitch. Nolan for all his critics plays a little further up the pitch.

Downes came on for Chalobah as he had taken a knock, it was a straight swap as the system needed another body in there to do the dirty work.

If we play with 2 holding players who would you pick out of: Skuse, Chalobah, Downes, Edun?

Westlake33 likes this.
  14. Westlake33

I wouldn't play Edun as a holder he'd be higher up the pitch for me as he has the ability based on what I saw vs Blackburn to cause chaos.

So I'd perhaps try Skuse / Chalobah ..... behind Edun further up the pitch.

Or, I'd give Edun a shot wide left.

Think he's good enough to warrant a start.

15. Nuggets

The more cautious aspect of my personality believes we should stick with Skuse and Chalobah in those defensive midfield positions in a 4-2-3-1. However, we need to improve our goalscoring and our attacking four players seem to struggle breaking down the opposition. I would like Hurst to bring Edun on for one of Skuse or Chalobah if we're chasing the game or still deadlocked come the hour mark. I don't think either Skuse or Chalobah have been that great or consistent this season, but I guess Chalobah is a player that needs the experience and he undoubtedly has technical ability (but lacks concentration at times). Skuse is very much a player from the previous era and brings a wealth of experience, however he has not adapted to this pressing style of football that we're trying to implement. I'd keep him in only because the alternatives in that position are all so young.

16. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

For long periods of the first half I thought Skuse and Ward were invisible.Whatever Hurst said at Half Time worked as they both bucked up considerably.

17. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Will feel like a missed opportunity if we don't win on Saturday, particularly after playing so well against a team flying so high. First consecutive home game should allow us to build on positive momentum.

Plenty of opportunities to mix up the squad again Walters possibly back and Nsiala ban over but I think second half team has done enough to warrant a start on Saturday

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  18. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

I agree with that Nuggets. Unlike Mick, Hurst seems ready & willing to let a player find a bit of form but moves quickly if not up to it. In the vids that I have seen and commentary heard, Chambo is not at his best this season. Time to move aside. captain's arm band or not.

19. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Hoping for a win
    1-0 will do me

20. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

We will lose!