1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Blues V Canaries

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Aug 4, 2018.

?

Predict the result

1. Blues win

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Canaries win

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Stalemate

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

That's true!!! :emoticon-0102-bigsm
    From Gary on today's MFW and this sums yesterday up perfectly - 'In addition to Leitner and McLean lighting up St Andrew’s when they came on, Dennis Sbreny – him of the ‘never be good enough’ label – showed more than a few signs that actually he might well be; his run and nicely weighted pass to Hernandez for the equaliser being beautifully executed.'
    http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...ing-out-for-the-canaries-only-45-games-to-go/

2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Anybody else watch the highlights on Quest? I was not very impressed, it's still presented by Colin Murray, we were last of the Championship games to be shown.

It felt like a programmer of adverts with a bit of football thrown in.

I shall record it in future so I can skip all the rubbish. <grr>

3. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Hanley made a trio of serious errors, but he also played well most of the time. He was caught out for their second goal but he also finished one of our highest rated players on WhoScored. We need to remember that he missed most of the pre-season and is still catching up on playing time.

canary-dave and JM Fan like this.
  4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Explains some of the strange team selection from MFW - 'The Husband / Buendia conundrums are probably explained by the ‘home grown’ requirements – one of the seven, starting from this season, now also has to be ‘club produced’, hence Todd Cantwell on the bench. Krul (which, in my opinion, makes a mockery of the rule) Marshall, Hanley, Husband, Rhodes and Thompson being the other domestic players.
    For all the fretting about yesterday’s selection,
    Farke was running a tightrope in terms of choice to be compliant with the rules.'

5. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

I think if you look at the game in isolation you'd be pretty happy because

1) First game of the season away from home.

2) New players still bedding in.

3) A reasonable amount of good goal scoring chances created.

4) Good resilience shown to come back from behind

5) Excellent amount of possession.

6) Players still probably getting up to speed so every hope that more goal scoring opportunities will be converted and defensive errors reduced.

On another day and with a bit of luck we could have won by 2 or 3 goals.

BUT this is Norwich and put in context of last season it's yet another game, against one of the weaker teams in this league, that we should have won and didn't, So although there are reason to be cheerful the result is still disappointing.

6. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Still doesn't explain why he didn't start with McLean who has done better than most in preseason.

JM Fan likes this.
  7. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I didn’t mind his team selection and could understand it but for me I would have played Thompson over Tettey and McLean instead of Stiepermann or Husband. I can see why Tettey played for a bit of continuity though

JM Fan likes this.
  8. RiverEndRick

Lewis returning will help.

JM Fan likes this.
  9. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

As I am in Spain I watched the lot on ifollow and quite frankly the majority of the performance until we went behind was diabolical. Hanley will have earned a falsely high rating more due to the 327 sideways passes (324 completed, others nearly cost us) than his actual performance. The 79% mearly indicates that we lacked any sort of bravery or invention to our play until we went behind and had to do more. I noticed a number of things that can only be down to Farke in my opinion.
    The backwards pass seemed encouraged, if there was any risk to possession moving it forward.
    Trybull and the CB's frequently had few or no options infront of them.
    Tettey was not to receive the ball, perhaps this is understandable with his limitations, but several times he looked in better position to receive the ball and move it forwards but invariably this wasn't taken and it was moved back or sideways again. He was also filling in at RB a lot when we had the ball, but then not being used to link play to Marshall moving forward. When our changes were made, this seemed to change and he was suddenly receiving the ball and played a good part in how we improved.
    Farke got this horribly wrong. The saving grace is that he changed things early enough to give us a chance of saving the game. The changes however highlighted our on going problem, Farke still hasn't managed to pick a balanced side that look threatening in more than one off moves very occasionally ammoungst the sideways dross or that can defend half competently whilst looking decent going forward.
    First game of the season against limited opposition who we should have beaten. For those saying how well organised they were, they lost that shape really bloomin quickly when we introduced the craft, guile and directness from the bench, but we're also cut open by some very simple long balls first half when they foolishly pressed us hard enough to stop us benignly passing sideways again.
    There were positives of course; those that came on from the bench, the character to come back twice, the attack looked good when not redundant. But this has to be filed under Farke ballsed up again when he should now know better.

Bah!

ncgandy and JM Fan like this.
  10. RiverEndRick

This from one at the match:

"Surprised to read the negative comments regarding Hanley today (I presume Radio Norfolk had said that) really strange as I thought Hanley had a blinder. He was all over the shop in terms of position but that’s because he was drawn out of it so often as others were just not there. He cleaned up nearly everything that came near him and saved us a few times.

We have a young squad and many new faces again. I’m hopeful things will progress as the season goes on. McLean was very impressive, looked like he has years of champ experience under his belt already. Leitner seemed to grow into the game and the better we did, the better he became – definitely. He needs confidence for us to see the best of him."

canary-dave likes this.

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Rick and I was purely basing my opinion on Chris Goreham's comments.
    DDF gave him a '6' and Husband a '5'.

12. premcanary

premcanary Member

Was looking for the higlights on c5 this morning after a long night on the beer, couldn't find them.jesus championship must be getting hard up to put onto quest, wtf?

13. premcanary

premcanary Member

Was looking for the higlights on c5 this morning after a long night on the beer, couldn't find them.jesus championship must be getting hard up to put onto quest, wtf?

14. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sky usually have the brief highlights and goals within 10 minutes of the final whistle.
    I normally get them from Newsnow
    https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Championship/Norwich City
    though may not be available in some regions / countries due to licencing bullshit etc.

15. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

This person is in my humble, plain stupid! if a CB gives the ball away 3 times in the defensive 3rd and also is consistently allowing a gap the QE2 could turn in between him and his CB partner, as captain, if said he's had a frickin mare! I get it, Hanley is our great defensive hope! not on yesterday's evidence! Scrambling to save the inadequacies of your captaincy and understanding with your back 4 is creditable but ultimately a failing. they need to improve at the back.

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

DHCanary likes this.
  17. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

I know I won't be popular for saying this but if you want decent wide ranging football coverage on TV you have to put your hand in your pocket and pay for Sky - seems to be available worldwide. I understand that this season when there is a full Championship midweek fixture programme they will televise all the matches live for viewing the team of your choice and already their highlights programmes are far superior to anything Channel 5 or Quest cobble up

18. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

JM Fan likes this.
  19. RiverEndRick

Interesting stat - pity the poor bugger who has to count them. There was a spell at the beginning of the second half when we seemed to fall back into old habits, but overall the passing was more positive. The heat could have been a factor in the emphasis on possession and Brum did seem to tire at the end after chasing the ball most of the time.

JM Fan likes this.
  20. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with passing backwards, as long as it has a purpose - drawing the other team out, shifting the ball around the pitch or knocking it to the keeper for safety as we get pressed

RiverEndRick likes this.