1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Big Week Ahead

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by TopCat_, Feb 14, 2022.

1. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

No midweek games. No transfer speculation, no manager speculation, no repetitive strain injury from pressing F5 60 times a minute. What ARE we going to talk about?

Joking aside though, big few days for Alex Neil to get to know the squad more, get some confidence in their heads and to figure out a way to take 6 points from the next 2 games.

I think most of us accept automatics are gone (Rotherham are promoted IMHO) and we are in danger of slipping out the play off picture unless we can turn this around.

Saturday will be a tough game against an in-form team, followed by tough games at Wigan, Charlton, Lincoln & Oxford, not to mention the home game with Rotherham. We really have ****ed up the last few weeks in our supposed "easy run of games"

Big balls needed in next month or so

2. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think the key thing there is no midweek game. It gives the manager time to assess what he's got and get us ready and focused on the weekend.
    I reckon we'll turn a corner from now.

3. As you say,we've ****ed up in true Sunderland style! However,Alex and Canning have a week now to get into them and sort them out.
    I still believe we have a talented group of players,who can deliver promotion,albeit very likely via the play-offs.Can't say I'm looking forward to them mind.
    Hope the poisonous minority can zip their gobs,forget about Methven etc.and other **** which doesn't matter, and we can all get behind the lads now to try to get them over the line.

4. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Things look bad but improving form, important players back from injury and a run of good results could build up to optimism in the play-offs ...

... a team that's beaten some good teams doesn't suddenly lose the talent, just confidence and form.

That can come back as quickly as it went with the right circumstances.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  5. TopCat_

Hope you are right Smug

Has there been any update on the injured players? McGeady/O'Nien the next ones to come back in? Broadhead still a few weeks away I'd imagine?

6. Very interesting to hear Neill talking about the younger players looking tired. I hadn't taken that full into account.....you just think,they're young and fit so can run all day....but,it's the mental tiredness he's on about. Playing infront of 30k demanding and expectant every other week, and a full away section the rest of the time,can put pressure on these young players,which will affect their performances.
    Hopefully things go well from the off on Saturday to give them a platform to build up some confidence and momentum. That's the task Alex has.

7. TopCat_

100% - The likes of Doyle, Cirkin, Neil & Embleton have never played a full season before. Neil is closing in on 40 appearances and we are only in February.

Stewart has never played a full season at this level. Hoffmann had 50 games in the German 3rd tier without the physicality and intensity of League One

8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Personally I haven't accepted that we won't get automatic. Does it look likely? No. Is it impossible that Wigan will collapse and we will go on a run? Also no. More unlikely things have happened to Sunderland in recent years never mind in football as a whole.

I don't know if the people who flatly state it's impossible are trying to protect themselves from future disappointment but until it's mathematically impossible I'm going to leave it on the table, seems reasonable. It's a long way away from that currently.

9. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I would be really interested to be a fly on the wall at training this week. Neil has some players he wants to get fitter and others he wants to give some down time to. Tricky balance. I suspect he will work through lots of tactical sessions at low intensity. Really focussing on how he wants to play in different parts of the game. Then those who need fitness work will be given some high intenisty sessions in addition. I have already said I would push them really hard in small sided games to get some sharpness and reaction speed back. The likes of Defoe, Roberts, Clarke, Xhemajli need that fitness boost to have the impact we need from them.

10. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I'm sure Neil will just focus on each game, go for wins and look at things with 3 or 4 matches to go.

Then he can decide if there's a chance at 2nd place or rest a few for the play-offs.

11. O'conner flood

O'conner flood Well-Known Member

Wigan playing twice before us
    two defeats please they'll start twitching

GaryClark and TopCat_ like this.
  12. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Wigan are at home against Crewe tomorrow night… They’ll win, no doubt about it.

13. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

We’ve f ucked up our easy run of games as far back as I can remember.

14. APC

APC Well-Known Member

IMO what is definitely needed and probably will happen is he needs to get them in and have an open forum, there’s loads of talk in the press about how the players are feeling etc but nothing has come from them, he needs to find out from them if they’re feeling run down etc then take it from there

Smug in Boots likes this.
  15. Robref62

Robref62 Well-Known Member

Needs to work on their mental strengths as at the moment it's weak as piss.

TopCat_ likes this.
  16. Pure River Slut

Pure River Slut Well-Known Member

This changed

Ozzymac and TopCat_ like this.
  17. TopCat_

And then some :emoticon-0140-rofl:

rooch 3, Pure River Slut and Ozzymac like this.
  18. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

It was around 8 games ago I said if we win our games the very worst we can end up is 2nd. <doh>