1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Big month February

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by cumbrianmackem, Jan 27, 2019.

1. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

We have six games in 21 days, four at home against Wimbledon, Blackpool, Accrington and Gillingham with two away at Oxford and Bristol Rovers.
    The departure of Maja and the uncertainty of us signing a replacement or two leaves us relying on Wyke and Watmore as strikers which at present is far from ideal.
    Our midfield need to step up with goals and it's time our central defenders were showing a goals return from all the corners we seem to waste.
    Time for a string of clean sheets and for the whole team to get their shooting boots on, they've all had a decent rest so come on Jack get them firing on all cylinders as February could make it break our desire of getting out of this league at the first time of asking.
    If we can have an excellent return of 15+ points from next month then that throws the gauntlet down to the rest of the promotion hopefulls.
    Without under estimating the opposition all the next six games are winnable so come on and bring home the bacon KTF.

Munkyheed, RTB, Dorset and 1 other person like this.
  2. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Its going to need a tactical re-think if we are to come through this month without loosing ground imo., and a determined effort from all involved is needed, they will try, of that I am sure, but we are looking a bit threadbare without the ****. Two players with the goal touch up front would see us through, whether they are external or internal matters little as long as they contribute by hitting the onion sack.

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  3. safcycharlie

safcycharlie Active Member

It is a critical month. I can see after a break to recharge the batteries us going on a run and winning these 6. Will take a lot of effort and fight but not beyond the realms of possibility

Gil T Azell and cumbrianmackem like this.
  4. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Agree.. We need to be right up there challenging after this month..

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  5. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Without any signings I would add Benji into the strikers. Unpredictable but not scared to get stuck in. Could surprise us and score a few. With signings we will have more options but I would like Benji to at least get game time.

6. cumbrianmackem

Well it's five matches in and we've picked up nine points out of fifteen.
    I was hoping for more but it's not a complete disaster, we remain unbeaten at home extended our unbeaten run to 13 games and have managed to score goals from corner kicks and we've got Will Grigg off the mark.
    were in a good position to kick on and if we can get the three points at the weekend from what will be another hard game then overall I think we will have had a decent February.
    just need to start tightening up at the back and keep scoring at the other end, I know that's so obvious and we'll finish the season where we all want to be, top two.
    KTF.

7. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Kick on is the main phrase

Gil T Azell and spirit of 73 like this.
  8. Gil T Azell

And there lies the problem. We are absolutely woeful at the back. Everytime a team attacks or has a set piece I expect a goal.

Having said that I think we will score more than we concede so still expect automatic promotion.

9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

We are shocking at the back mind, we haven’t got any mobility at all centrally. Doesn’t matter if we win, matters a lot when we were scoring 1 a game.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  10. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

We have the 4th best defensive record in the league.

Only Luton, Barnsley and Blackpool have conceded less goals.

Aside from the last 2 games, which where we conceded 4 goals due to errors / poor defending we would have the same goals against as the other 3 (28)

11. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

That’s a legacy from earlier in the season though mate.

We concede almost every game, and we are often very fortunate not to concede more.

Like I said it doesn’t bother me but we are woeful there, and you do fear for us when attacked.

We can’t handle big kids, we can’t handle pace, we can’t handle dribblers, and we can’t handle balls in behind.

It matters little if we go up, I dunno how many games you get to see in full over there mate but trust me, ask anyone who’s local based and sees the games, we really are fortunate to have a smashing keeper and generally poor finishers in the division, we get opened up for fun.

It’s not even a massive complaint my side to be honest I like watching open games, seems we’ve clicked in front of goal again now anyway so who cares at this point ha.

12. Gil T Azell

^^^^^^^^^^^^ absolutely spot on Nads.

Nads likes this.
  13. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

That's a myth. We were just scoring more so it wasn't noticeable.

Screenshot_20190220-203313.jpg

But if we start scoring more again, then as you say who cares

clockstander likes this.
  14. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Yeah it was a myth, we have been conceding all season. The rest still stands, we are easily pulled open.

As said, I think with Grigg off the mark it won’t matter we will score more and we will win more either way.

dansafcman and Gil T Azell like this.
  15. cumbrianmackem

Well thats this months football over and 12 points out of 18 isnt bad.
    More importantly we were undefeated and are at the start of what promises to be a good run, scoring goals, well more than one per game and Jack seems to have found a system using Catts and Grant and of course our dead ball kicks are finally being rewarded.
    Onwards into March.

16. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Think we had a great month. Still mildly annoyed by Accrington but even that to fight back like we did was full of positives.

I think we are looking better shape and movement wise since the window and can see us putting a run together.

Avoid defeat at Barnsley and I think we are up.

17. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Speaking of dead balls... can you imagine where we’d be if we’d signed Grant in the summer! We’d probably be breaking the points record!!

Gil T Azell and cumbrianmackem like this.
  18. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

You’re kicking on at the right time now, it seems. I have no doubt that you’ll finish 2nd this season. It’s been a tipsy turvey season for you guys but it’ll all come up roses for sure.