1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ben Harrington

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Rollercoaster Ranger, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Rollercoaster Ranger

Rollercoaster Ranger Well-Known Member

From Leane88

A very devoted fan of QPR was killed out in Thailand five years ago. His mother has tried to contact the club numerous times but has been unsuccessful. She has set up a petition to try and get the government to look into deaths in Thailand and is struggling getting this campaign of the ground.

Ben Harrington was a season ticket holder along with his brothers Mark and Luke Harrington. He was always at football be it a home game or an away game. He also featured in the 4 year plan. Being the life and soul of every party, Ben loved his family and especially his mum. He would do anything for her. Ben flew out to Thailand for a 2 week holiday with his brother Mark and a friend and never returned home, it was a heart wrenching time for the family. They have set up the page Ben Harrington Repatriation on Facebook and BHRepatriation on Twitter. They have tried to get awareness for people going to Thailand especially Koh Tao also known as 'death island'.

I am asking you please if you can find it in your heart to get behind this petition and share it far and wide. It would mean so much to the family and if something comes of this we know Ben wouldn't have died in vain.

https://www.change.org/p/theresa-may-british-deaths-in-thailand-need-to-be-inves

This is a post from LFWs. I don't know Leane, but I did know poor Ben; bizarrely he worked at a client of mine and as such we spent many a lunchtime discussing all matters QPR. For those of you who go to away matches, you probably will recognise him even if you weren't close. Please click on the link and sign the petition if you have any empathy with it. Leane has been unable to signup to this forum to post this herself, I've made Beth aware and hopefully this will get resolved so she can talk to you herself.

2. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I've signed it mate. I do recall Ben's death, it's hard to believe it's over five years ago. I thought he died in a motorcycle accident. I didn't realise there was suspicious circumstances behind it. I hope his family get to the bottom of it and finally get some closure so that they can continue the rest of their lives with their cherished memories of Ben.

3. cor blymie

cor blymie Well-Known Member

done, Rest in Peace Ben

4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Done.

My initial instinct in these cases is that the greiving families are understandably struggling to let go after a tragic loss. But I looked this up. There are way too many tourist deaths on Koh Tao, and an incredible lack of information about them from the Thai authorities. Ben’s death might have been an accident but there are odd circumstances and plenty of other deaths on the island written off as not suspicious and not investigated properly are obviously dodgy.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  5. Rollercoaster Ranger

Rollercoaster Ranger Well-Known Member

You've got a good memory Nines, that was certainly what I was told at the time.

Apparently the BBC have been in contact with them. Whether there is anything in this particular story I have no more idea than you, but they must feel there is something worth investigating.

Leane88, sb_73 and QPR999 like this.
  6. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Done and done

I have signed the petition...because as well as Ben, there have been a lot of "accidents" in a very small space and time. It needs to be investigated

7. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Hi Roller have done mate.
    Like Nines I remember Bens death and also thought it was a motorcycle accident. I also remember his face from Rangers and the film.
    RIP Ben.

8. Leane88

Leane88 Member

Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed and helped with signature. We are deeply humbled by the amount of support. Ben was one in a million, he died under suspicious circumstances. A Thai post mortem said he died of a broken neck but a post mortem held here in the UK ruled that out and the coroner couldn't put it down as an accident in her report. He died with all his belonging stolen from him and blue paint under his finger nails from the bike which led to them thinking there may have been a struggle. His mum has been fighting from day one to get justice and being alone not knowing where to start. This is where she got in contact with other families who was in the same situation and of the same thinking their loved ones died under suspicious circumstances. The Thai government have tried to block the petition so it's making it's mark.
    BBC have been in contact with us and feel there is enough evidence to get behind this petition and even discussing a documentary of some sorts.
    From Ben's Family and myself we are so deeply grateful for everyone's contribution..

9. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

I have signed also<ok>

10. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Signed - good luck with this Leane

11. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Good luck Leane. If you have any Twitterati on the team start bombarding Boris Johnson and Mark Field MP, Foreign Office Minister of State who’s brief includes Thailand, with requests and questions. I’m sure you have been doing this already, it’s just what jumped into my mind in this era of social media. Also brings it to the attention of anyone witless enough to ‘follow’ these people.

12. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

I have added the link on the music thread which I hope will add a few more signatures<ok>

Best of luck with this.

13. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

Done, hope you get the answers you need

14. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Signed last night mate

15. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

Signed also

I'm afraid that I have little confidence in the ability or desire of the Thai authorities to properly investigate deaths like this

The UK - and other governments - should be doing a whole lot more to pressure the Thais into action

I would like Tony F to get involved but suspect that he may be cautious to do so given his business interests in the region

Rollercoaster Ranger and Leane88 like this.
  16. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

Done.
    I really hope you make some progress.

Rollercoaster Ranger and Leane88 like this.
  17. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Thank you everyone... we can add our voice and our numbers...and hope the pressure works

Thanks to you all...XX

18. Leane88

Leane88 Member

Thank you so much everyone. It really is amazing. Since I started this 4 days ago we've already hit 600 signatures... we are overwhelmed by the response. Ben's mum has loved reading all the messages about him.

19. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Signed last night.
    Norfolk girl Hannah Witheridge was raped and murdered on Koh Tao in September 2014, David Miller from Jersey I believe, was also murdered in the same incident. Two Burmese migrant workers "confessed" to the crimes.
    There are clearly some serious issues on that island.

20. Leane88

Leane88 Member

We have been in contact with a few parents etc who have lost their kids in Thailand and it's heartbreaking to hear of their stories... my boyfriend (Ben's brother) still can't speak of his death and hasn't come to terms with it fully. He can't hear about his death and walks out the room when what happened is spoken about. Kills me to see him suffer at losing his brother this way.