1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic And Now for Something Completely Different

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC, Nov 20, 2015.

1. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

<laugh>
    Brilliant

2. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

3. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

4. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

'Age can be a babe magnet': Spinal Tap's Derek Smalls on why old is gold
    After a career with heavy metal gods Spinal Tap – and a battle with addiction to the internet – the bassist is back with a new album reflecting on the ageing process. As his cells degrade, he shares his hard-fought wisdom
    Derek Smalls

Thu 5 Apr 2018 12.59 BST
    please log in to view this image

Derek Smalls: ‘ I’m content in the knowledge that many of my colleagues are much bloody older than me.’ Photograph: Rob Shanahan
    We keep track of the passing years. Do they keep track of us? Life is like the ticketing machine at a car park: it gives something (tickets) and it takes something (cash or credit cards).

These are among the thoughts I have had as I’ve been meditating on ageing during the recording of my new album, Smalls Change. Age, I say at the beginning of it, is just a number. Number is just a word. And word is just a thing. If I could say it better myself, I still wouldn’t.

As a bass player, first with Spinal Tap and now solo, I’m used to seeing life from the bottom, the foundation, the basic 1-4-5 of existence. Like the heart, we provide the pulse, and like the heart, eventually we decide to stop and retire to a country home with dogs and, perhaps, chickens. I think it’s easier for bass players to regard the ageing process more calmly than our more fiery brethren in the vineyards of rock. It’s like my friend Eddie (Low Flame) Dregs, the bassist for the near-death-metal colossus Chainsaw Vermin, says: “Low flames extinguish more slowly.” The same could be said for lukewarm water, although I suppose you’d have to use different words.

I remember reading once that we replace every cell in our body every seven years. If that’s true, even a 90-year-old man is probably just six or seven in cell years. So, as time goes on, we’re not really ageing, we’re just being handed dodgier cells. In my seventh decade astride this planet, and as my own cells degrade, there are some things I cannot do now: skydiving, marathon running, calculus. I can proudly say, however, that I couldn’t do them in my 20s, either, so no big loss.

My dad, who sanitised telephones for a living, used to tell me how much better we had it than his family had. His dad, Percy, spent his whole life selling wood chips for horse bedding. Even when he was having heart problems, old Percy was still out working his trade. He finally keeled over and died at the age of 91, found by a stable boy face down in a mound of his own product. For years afterwards, whenever I heard the phrase “in the chips”, I thought it meant poor as a church mouse. But the idea of working till you drop still appeals to me, although not near stables. Maybe when I start getting feeble, I’ll get a job in a pillow factory.

I remember thinking when I first heard the story of Methuselah: how in the bloody hell did they know he was 900 years old? Would a person that old really remember their exact date of birth? Did he have a friend or assistant of the same age to keep notes? Did normal people pass down a box of calendars to younger colleagues with the advice: “Keep track of this geezer, he’s going long”? Did he lug around a big stone and mark 900 Xs on it? Since he lived in a time before electric music, I prefer to believe he gave that as his age in order to meet women. Yes, age can be a babe magnet – I read a book once that said Einstein had to fight them off by reciting boring equations.

Memory, they say, fades with age. Who are “they”? I forget. Men have it so much easier than women as we age. Unless you’re a rocker, a man doesn’t show off nearly as much of his body as a woman does, so the muffin top just becomes a more powerful belt line. Facial hair can hide the old chin-weakening business. Although your memory fades with age.

Of course, all the insecurities and anxieties of youth – Do they like me? Am I acting foolishly? Is this the way I’m supposed to dress? – fall away. But they are replaced by different insecurities and anxieties – Can they tell I just wet myself? Is this the doctor who almost killed my cousin? Is this normal?

But as I embark on an ambitious tour playing with symphony orchestras on at least one continent, I’m content in the knowledge that many of my colleagues in tuxedos, evening gowns, or both, are much bloody older than me. Do I look back at 19-year-old Derek, at 39- and 49-year-old Derek and think, as I know some of you do: “What a hopeless tosser?” Not very often. As I count my years, I also count my learnings, such as how to play a five-string, or how to check in for a flight on my mobile. Would I trade all that I’ve learned for a 20-year-old rocker’s body? Where do I sign?

dennisboothstash likes this.
  5. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

First time I saw Spinal Tap I was laid on setee off work with a fractured rib. When it got tothe Stonehenge bit I was laughing so much it hurt that much that I had to switch it off. Not just the set but the lyrics which are hilarious. Great lyrics in a lot of the other songs as well. Still one of my all time favourite films.

6. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

7. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

8. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

No idea if this is genuine or not.

It doesn’t matter, it’s funny!

9. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

That may well be fake news, not sure if there is a British Milk Council.

In similar news (I saw it on the BBC so must be true) Weatherspoons have closed all their social media sites.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43781281

10. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

It's a spoof account, it's been going for years.

11. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Wetherspoons have done the same.

12. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

13. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

Brilliant.

14. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Power pipes added. <ok>

15. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Is that Yoda checking out the scooter? Is he weighing up whether to ****, or is he patiently waiting for that foot to **** off so he can poo in peace?

16. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0127-lipss :emoticon-0105-wink:

DMD and FER ARK like this.
  17. FER ARK

FER ARK Well-Known Member

Thought the same<laugh>

DMD likes this.
  18. Anal Frank Fingers

Anal Frank Fingers Well-Known Member

19. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

One for Ernie
    Great reply anyway though...to the Question ‘can anyone name a better captain than Kompany’

Ernie Shackleton and Kempton like this.
  20. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Des Head likes this.