1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Acworth articles

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by jonathan acworth, Oct 17, 2011.

1. not if your at swindon its not got drenched or front row west stand when sat next to david gold at the southend game

2. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

Could anyone here be suffering from mental fog?

3. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

He was predominantly a left-back.

Someone posted in another thread about Bradley Pritchard shaping up to be our first decent signing from non-league football since ... (Paul Williams in 1987 would be my suggestion. Have I forgotten anyone more recent?). Townsend played in non-league football until he joined us at 24 years of age and mainly in our reserves until he was 29 before becoming first-choice left-back for three years. (Then played for Palace for another three). That sort of scenario is very unusual these days. If a junior hasn't broken into the first-team squad by 22 he is usually moved on, and you would rarely get reserve players of 28 with their best years ahead of them (unless they drop down a tier or two).

Very steady but not really all that good. (Andy was a much better footballer. Pity he didn't join us).

For a whole decade we struggled to find a really good left back. We had a series of loyal servants who only held regular places because they didn't have any competition for the position, Townsend, Kiernan (once a brilliant winger) and Kinsey. But at the same time we had a string of outstanding right-backs, Billy Bonds, Marvin Hinton, and Bob Curtis.

4. Rodtrots

Rodtrots New Member

Always remembered him as a left back left us near the nd of his career and finished at Palace

5. 56 years an addick

I always remeber him as a number 4. Are you thinking of John Sewell. He was aleft back who went to Palace.

6. charltonnutnut

Every single thing on the internet about Don Townsend says he only ever played as a left back, I'm not going to kick your cucumber over it, but you've digged out AckAck a lot for getting things wrong then stubbornly refusing to admit he was wrong, eg the tube train to Stevenage thing, yet you are doing the exact same thing here I'm afraid, best just to admit your mistake instead of acting like a squirrel painter over it no offence.

7. thanks charlton nut whats a squrrel painter charlton nut?can u do a list of all yr frases for me cheers!the stevenage tube is at bank by the way just go up the escalators from the northern line where it says trains to stevenage check if no one believes me

8. i dont mind charlton nut with 56 years its just a bit friendly banter

9. 56 years an addick

I was wrong. Townsend was left back and Gordon Jago was Right Half. I always got those two mixed up

10. 56 years an addick

Oh and Nutnit, there is aworld of diffrence in trying to say Stevenage is at the end of the northern line and confusing Jago with Townsend