1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Aberdeen v Celtic: (belated) match thread

Discussion in 'Aberdeen' started by Psychosomatic, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Admiral Pure

Admiral Pure Well-Known Member

Does he?

2. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

i hear ya

3. Admiral Pure

I should have said it's a 4-1-1-2-2 that is flexible and can be 2-1-1-4-2 when we have possession. <ok>

4-0.

4. The Raging Oxter

The Raging Oxter Well-Known Member

Admiral

He was signalling to the bench earlier. Must have decided to try and run it off.

5. Psychosomatic

Psychosomatic Well-Known Member

No, no, no, no, nooooooooooo.........

This is catastrophic. How hideously predictable and depressing. I can't believe I ever hoped for anything different.

We need to concentrate on the league.

6. Psychosomatic

Right so, that was awful.

Well done, lads, good luck in the final.

I need to go and die somewhere.

7. Admiral Pure

I feel a bit sorry for Aberdeen. An absolute massacre second half.

8. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

The sending off did spoil the game for neutrals. I'm not neutral but it was not a great spectacle even if Celtic did play well in the 2nd half.

9. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

I feel for the dons also.

they were a bit guilty of bringing it on themselves but they got no luck either

10. Mick

Mick Probably won't answer PMs
    Staff Member

All the tims borrowing the sheeps board for the day <whistle>

11. Psychosomatic

Ban the gloaters, Administrator, ban the lot of them (including yourself, obviously).

12. DevAdvocate

Psycho, what did you make of Consodine's remarks in today's DR?

He never "touched" Hooper and he doubted whether that decision would have been given against Celtic.

13. Psychosomatic

I haven't seen his comments, Dev - you have a link, maybe? - but if what you say is true then it sounds like he's talking straight out of his arse (on both counts). He should learn to lose with some dignity. If he can't think of anything decent to say then I would highly recommend that he keeps his trap firmly shut. (That goes for all players, in fact.) Even if he feels hard done by, he should keep it to himself - because to weep about these things in the immediate aftermath of any crushing defeat merely seems like the sour grapes of a very bad loser. It lacks class.

14. DevAdvocate

Sorry Psycho, slight mistake it was in fact Chris McGuire <doh>

RAGING Chris Maguire last night blasted referee Willie Collum for the massive decision which turned the Scottish Cup semi-final against angry Aberdeen. The Pittodrie striker reckons his team were ROBBED by the whistler's big call to award Celtic a first-half penalty for Andrew Considine's t rip on Hoops hitman Gary Hooper.
    With the teams locked at 0-0, Collum compounded the agony by sending the Dons defender off to leave Craig Brown's team struggling with 10 men for over 70 minutes. Celtic took full advantage to run out 4-0 winners and secure a spot in the final, but Maguire believes the Pittodrie outfit were victims of a major injustice.

He said: "Everyone can see from the T V evidence that it was not a penalty.

"We were down to 10 men and we feel as though we were robbed.

"Andrew put his hands up in the dressing room and told us all that he did not touch Hooper.

"We had a look at it after the game and it is clear that Hooper left his leg in trying to get a touch on him and it didn't happen.
    "I'm a striker myself and I know what Hooper was thinking.
    "But it would have been very interesting to see what would have happened if the incident had been at the other end."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footba...says-aberdeen-s-chris-maguire-86908-23069373/

It's embarassing. What was he thinking.

What is even more embarassing however are some of the comments from Gers fans on the DR link. Have a read if you want a laugh.

15. Psychosomatic

Aha. So now you&#8217;re saying it was McGuire, not Considine, you great big dribbling moose? Well that changes everything.....

No, I&#8217;d stick with my original answer. It makes no odds who said it, really, as the thing simply didn&#8217;t need saying at all. I&#8217;d quite like to see the penalty again, just to check, but in these circumstances I&#8217;m normally perfectly happy to go along with what I felt at the time: namely, that it was a penalty.

I watched as it happened - and then I watched the replay - and I felt the thing was fairly clear cut. To attempt to insinuate, then, that the penalty would not have been given against Celtic simply doesn&#8217;t work for me, because I know that if I had been the referee (an attractive thought) and had seen the exact same events unfold at such a speed before me that I would have given a penalty, as well. And if it transpires that a forensically microscopic analysis of slow-mo replays from different angles shows the referee may have made an error: so what? **** happens.

No amount of whining, wailing or insinuation is ever going to change the fact that the better team won. Besides, to do so immediately after a game kind of detracts from the power of the argument. And to do so publicly, of course, is utterly distasteful and crass.

I liked the link, thanks, and enjoyed reading some of the comments. Considering they had no dog in the fight, it&#8217;s amazing how personally some of the Rangers fan seem to be taking it. I think they must secretly love Aberdeen, you know &#8211; that&#8217;s certainly what I&#8217;m going to take from their show of concern, in any event.

16. DevAdvocate

They cannot make up their minds can they some of those Gers fans. The Dons laid down or the Ref cheated them, either one works.

It's one of the worst conspiracy theories in the SPL.

17. Psychosomatic

Oh dear, don&#8217;t get me started on that.

I&#8217;ve heard it said too often that Aberdeen lie down to Celtic and only raise their game against Rangers. One reason for this, apparently, is the fact that we have a fair few &#8220;Celtic-minded&#8221; players in our team. I understand that the term &#8220;Celtic-minded&#8221; is simply a more sinister-sounding way of saying &#8220;Celtic fans&#8221;.

So we have a few Celtic fans in our team, it seems, and this may lie behind our frequent capitulations against Celtic, according to those who view absolutely all Scottish football through the distorting prism of an Old Firm lens.

I mean, given the preponderance of Celtic and Rangers fans in Scotland, it would seem almost surreal if each team didn&#8217;t have their share of them (at some time or another) in the dressing room. Not everyone can end up playing for the team they support, after all, and to pretend to yourself that once a player pulls on the jersey of your team that he&#8217;s suddenly a fan, as well, is just asking to be deceived and disappointed. I see it as no big deal and remain happy to trust in their professionalism.

Zander Diamond is often cited as an example of a player who lies down to Celtic. Those in the know like to pass around a picture of the the guy wearing (I think) a Celtic hat whilst sitting beside a Celtic birthday cake. Something like that, anyway.

A few things:

1) I&#8217;m not sure how this picture came into circulation. If he made it public himself then the worst you can say about the guy is that he&#8217;s shown a disagreeable insensitivity towards his employers at Aberdeen and (the more excitable) fans of the club.

2) If he didn&#8217;t circulate the thing himself, on the other hand, then I think you&#8217;ve got to feel sorry for a man who has such ****ty friends or family. Or both.

But he&#8217;s a Celtic fan, no doubt about it.

3) These days.....Celtic frequently destroy Aberdeen and Zander Diamond is almost always hopeless against them. Rangers usually beat Aberdeen but the margins are generally tighter. Proof!

This dismal simplicity fails to take into the account the way that Rangers and Celtic play football, however, with Celtic being traditionally the more attack-minded team (wave after wave after wave), whilst Rangers have tended towards a more obdurate, conservative approach (save for the glory days of Gascoigne and Laudrup et al, when most Aberdeen fans would have feared playing Rangers more than Celtic &#8211; I&#8217;d hazard a guess). Or, to put it bluntly, if Rangers played like Celtic then they would destroy us, too, because we&#8217;re simply not good enough to cope with this at the moment.

(Incidentally, I&#8217;m not knocking the approach of Rangers &#8211; it&#8217;s all a skill to me &#8211; and was well impressed by their efforts in Europe. I always support them in Europe, as I always support Celtic, simply because I want Scottish teams to do well. I know some Celtic fans use it as a stick to beat Rangers with, but I&#8217;m minded not to care.)

4) I think most Aberdeen fans would laugh at the suggestion that Diamond, for example, is only hopeless against Celtic. Trust me, okay, he&#8217;s hopeless with a far greater frequency than that. Personally, I would like to see him shipped out of the club just as soon as possible &#8211; not because he's a Celtic fan, but because he&#8217;s absolutely ****e. Such a shame, really, as he showed some real promise.

5) To suggest that professional players lie down against the teams they support is to wretchedly impugn their integrity. It says more about the accusers than the players in question. Aberdeen are a poor team with poor players. When attacked with vigour, we tend to crumble. Celtic tend to attack with vigour.

Oh my God, I should stop. Sorry, Dev, I had no idea I had gone on at such length (a perennial failing). You get the jist of it, anyway, I&#8217;m sure. I think I had about another twenty or so dreary points to make. Deary me.

18. Admiral Pure

Psycho - you're absolutely right about Diamond, he's just a bit pish.

People sometimes forget he was the matchwinner the last time you guys beat us; he scored twice in the 4-2 game at Pittodrie. Hardly the actions of someone who doesn't try his arse against his 'heroes'. <ok>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7832204.stm

19. Psychosomatic

Well that&#8217;s another thing, Admiral, quite right: what sort of a moron would play badly against a team he would absolutely love to move to? It simply doesn&#8217;t make sense. When pitched against them, this would seem like the very best time to attempt to shine and impress. Diamond, unfortunately &#8211; save for the useful reminder you just linked to &#8211; merely happens to be a rather poor footballer.

20. DevAdvocate

Two things Psycho. Firstly, superb comment, it's refreshing to read something that is not tainted with the Blue/Green spectacles, far too often in the past this forum and others have been flooded with rabid scribblings of people who have apparently only just learned to read or write and see it their way or no way, you are the proverbial breath of fresh air.

Secondly "Celtic Minded" is code for "Roman Catholic" as one of the blue sided conspiracy theorists will no doubt tell you .

Sorry, could'nt resist although I feel I may have sullied this thread by even mentioning it.

<ok>